Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: That's Nice  (Read 4330 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: That's Nice
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 08:19:01 AM »

I fired off a email on this subject to Authinx. if we had Local control for when the servers were down this wouldn't be an issue.

Luckily my $20 cm15 mod isn't affected by this I could still control things via my phone.
I'm currently working on another CM15 mod using a more powerful SBC not that more power is needed for X10 but it may act as a multi purpose Hub/streaming device.
Depending on cloud servers for controlling your lights is ridiculous and I don't want to wait a day or longer before I can configure a device.
My WM100 was working this morning when I got up and in reality I've no idea how long it was down for as I stopped relying on it months ago it serves only as a convenience or backup of sorts.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 09:00:47 AM »

I’m back.  Local control and a backup feature would be nice.  So would winning the lottery. 8)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »

I’m back.  Local control and a backup feature would be nice.  So would winning the lottery. 8)
rofl, you might have a better chance of winning the lottery :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »

I got an email back from the owner on this, which I didn't expect till tomorrow. :o
He stated
I apologize for all the headaches this has caused.

He had contacted those running the server. Apparently there was a issue with the capacity on the server which has now been resolved. :o ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ceedee

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »

Come to think of it, my TP-Link WiFi bulbs and outlet switches work in local mode.  In fact, I have to enable remote access if I want to use the cloud.

We can assume (and should plan) that the server will have issues in the future. We should also plan that perhaps one day the servers will cease to exist.  Having local network control (ie no remote access) is, IMHO, better than no access at all.

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

I'm hoping once the server gets running again, we will be able to synchronize without full reset. I only reset the app on my phone, so I should be able to hit it with one of my other devices then sync my phone.

I'm good on one device, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled and got my settings and control back.  My other device (which I uninstalled/reinstalled the app on), also an Android is unable to connect to the Hub :-( .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:03:09 PM by arizona480 »

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »

This has been my main objection to these things all along.  I can understand the desire to be able to do things when you're away from home, but that should be an option. It should not be required for daily use when you are home.

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 01:17:31 PM »

This has been my main objection to these things all along.  I can understand the desire to be able to do things when you're away from home, but that should be an option. It should not be required for daily use when you are home.

I'm wondering if a paid subscription for outside home control would be a future option so the infrastructure is kept up, otherwise, in two years like most modern electronics now, "we don't support that anymore, throw it away!".   And an option for local control of course which is not paid.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:20:04 PM by arizona480 »

ceedee

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 01:23:18 PM »

The reason for the outage was reportedly a server capacity issue. With a local control only option, arguably not every user would use the remote feature, and lessen the load. Perhaps?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 01:32:49 PM »

I got an email back from the owner on this, which I didn't expect till tomorrow. :o
He stated
I apologize for all the headaches this has caused.

He had contacted those running the server. Apparently there was a issue with the capacity on the server which has now been resolved. :o ::) :'

One must wonder why the owner doesn't participate in this forum and proactively communicate with us.

BackAgain

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »

The reason for the outage was reportedly a server capacity issue. With a local control only option, arguably not every user would use the remote feature, and lessen the load. Perhaps?

Again, my key point.  Why should every user everywhere need to hit a server 10,000 miles away every time they want to turn a lamp on 10 feet across the room?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »

You're not the only one who's harped on that point from day one.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 08:47:20 PM »

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep those CM15A's, AHP, and Palm Pad's handy.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

SkipWX10

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 09:18:46 PM »

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep those CM15A's, AHP, and Palm Pad's handy.

My plan exactly! And it's working. My WM100 is back, I did not do any resets or wipes and all devices work normally now.

So, as long as you are not actually depending on the WM100 to control items on timers...a server outage is just a remote control annoyance...If I were depending on it for all I ask of my CM15a and the cloud went down....my 87 year old mother-in-law would have been sitting in the dark for hours. That's unacceptable to me.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.