Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Is it out again?  (Read 20896 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Is it out again?
« on: September 05, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »

Before I do something drastic,  is the server out again? I can't connect.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dave Mc

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Is it out again?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »

I just connected.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »

I just did as well. Wasn't working earlier.

Is it time to retire this device?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »

I just did as well. Wasn't working earlier.

A weapon of mass frustration possibly  :)%

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 10:27:39 PM »

Mine seems to be fine.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »

My thoughts are more along the line of "it never should have been released as a retail product." It is missing too many things, and (by design) it is not reliable enough to be much more than a remote. And a slow one at that - given the time it takes to open the app, connect to the server (when it is up), find the unit, and press the button.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »

My thoughts are more along the line of "it never should have been released as a retail product." It is missing too many things, and (by design) it is not reliable enough to be much more than a remote. And a slow one at that - given the time it takes to open the app, connect to the server (when it is up), find the unit, and press the button.

Sounds painful in this day and age. Not owning one but reading the general consensus appears to favour the refund route. I'm sure a crowd funded alternative could be developed using the skills and experience of forum members if for no other reason than to prove it can be done properly.

The idea of being at the mercy of a third party server in order to achieve functionality sounds even more frustrating. What happens if this server unexpectedly disappears overnight. Is there some form of Plan B In place for this scenario.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 10:30:50 AM »

I'm sure a crowd funded alternative could be developed using the skills and experience of forum members if for no other reason than to prove it can be done properly.

With a schematic it might be possible to reverse engineer the hardware and develop open-source firmware and supporting software to address all the issues that have been raised.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 10:48:49 AM »

I'm sure a crowd funded alternative could be developed using the skills and experience of forum members if for no other reason than to prove it can be done properly.
With a schematic it might be possible to reverse engineer the hardware and develop open-source firmware and supporting software to address all the issues that have been raised.
It might be easier to just add an ESP8266 to one of your existing designs. All of the timers, macros, etc. could be handled by a companion Raspberry Pi.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »

All great, wonderful, ideas from great, and like-minded brains. Work-arounds were at one time the bread and butter of X10 forums..... and the WM-100 has certain revived that thinking.  I've always enjoyed the creative thinking and new ideas cultivated in these forums.

I use my WM-100 in the very same way I used the Melloware app/server product that allowed me to control every X10 device I owned using my iPhone. As a great remote control that is always handy (as is my phone). Without some redesign/remake/reprogram DIY or factory rework.... that appears to be it's very useful limit.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »

Just curious to know what price they retail for.

What exactly are X10 members using them for. Is there really a need for a 3rd party server to be involved here. Can your requirements be achieved without one. I'm guessing device creation, timers and macros and the ability to control all this remotely.

Does it perform any other functions outside of the above.

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »

Before I do something drastic,  is the server out again? I can't connect.

My Sensi WiFi Thermostat on their support page shows if the server is operational or not, very helpful to decide whether I need to rip it off the wall and pull the batteries to reset it or not.  I've only had to do that once in the tow months I've had it and that was the second day.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »

[With a schematic it might be possible to reverse engineer the hardware and develop open-source firmware and supporting software to address all the issues that have been raised.
It might be easier to just add an ESP8266 to one of your existing designs. All of the timers, macros, etc. could be handled by a companion Raspberry Pi.

The XTB line is approaching the twilight of its production run, so I'm not enthusiastic about taking on another project.  While that should work, it would be limited to those technical enough to switch to a Raspberry Pi controller.  If we could develop open source firmware/software for the WM100, that should work for most people.  The hardware itself appears to be well designed.  Pairing that with new firmware/software should result in an excellent controller.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »

The XTB line is approaching the twilight of its production run, so I'm not enthusiastic about taking on another project.  While that should work, it would be limited to those technical enough to switch to a Raspberry Pi controller.  If we could develop open source firmware/software for the WM100, that should work for most people.  The hardware itself appears to be well designed.  Pairing that with new firmware/software should result in an excellent controller.
I may be misremembering details but, I think I looked for programming details for the main processor in the WM100 and came up with nothing. That would be key before trying to suss out a schematic.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 02:55:55 PM »

What exactly are X10 members using them for.
When first introduced, the WM100 was impressive. I think we were all hungry for something new. As time passed, flaws became apparent. I'm entrenched in Homeseer which is like AHP plus 10db.

So essentially I use the WM100 as a device remote control and macro trigger for Homeseer. I do feel somewhat sorry for Authinx. It seems the tail (the manufacturer) is wagging the dog. But this sympathy is drifting away. I assume Authinx pays the manufacturer for services rendered which means they *should* be pulling the strings.

I will say this much to Authinx "Don't underestimate us 'old X10 geezers'  ".
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.