Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Is it out again?  (Read 20893 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Is it out again?
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »

I imagine something like Python would be an ideal candidate.

I suspect I'm probably too old to try learning a new programming language even though I do have a copy of a book titled Learn Python in one day and Learn It Well. I keep dozing off after a few pages so it will likely take me months to get through it.

Also, I have no need for the WM100 so can't see spending $110 for one to play with.

The English language like construction of Python should give anyone who is coming to programming for the first time a fighting chance to learn it.

Even if I could use a WM100(incorrect frequency for Europe) like yourself I'd have no need for it but it does appear to be not fit for purpose. Whatever about it's physical construction it seems to be seriously lacking in a lot of basic areas.

WM100 owners appear to be a very patient species from my reading of their posts. The purchase price of the unit isn't exactly small change either.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2018, 01:35:25 PM »

That's the part that keeps getting missed in these threads.  I (we?) want all this in house, with remote access as an option, but NOT required.

You can't do that! Modern/current Home Automation includes AI capabilities. That requires considerable information and server processing which is ONLY available using the cloud. Vast amounts of the things we don't think about as being cloud are... or are quickly becoming cloud dependent. The cloud and the Internet are quickly becoming almost interchangeable words.

Anything LESS-than cloud.... is limited access.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2018, 01:54:55 PM »

…….. my TP-Link bulbs and plugs work locally, with an option (per unit) for remote access.

There are many users here with experience that pre-dates things like the Internet and home computers. Back in those days.... having a remote control with a bunch of buttons that allowed a home owner to turn lights On and Off... and even dim lights.... well that was pretty darn slick.

But that was a very long time ago.

Whereas controlling a few lights with a remote control 40+ years ago was certainly considered home automation..... a 25" TV connected to a quality VCR and a stereo was also considered a Home Theater. Times have changed. Running a PC 24/7 to get more advanced home automation (called a smart home) was a sure sign that things had changed. But even that occurred 20 years ago.

Sure... everything needs some sort of manual over-ride. But limited control of lights... is hardly considered home automation.... today.

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »

Fine with me.  And apparently everyone else posting on this thread.  Have you noticed you're in a World of One on that point?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2018, 10:40:16 PM »

We had NO access today.  Internet and cable went out about 11AM and is finally back now (8:30PM).  No Alexa.  Cathy used the RADIO.  Our home automation didn't even have a hiccup.  The WM100 couldn't be accessed, but Palmpads still worked fine.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »

Fine with me.  And apparently everyone else posting on this thread.  Have you noticed you're in a World of One on that point?

Correct is NOT about polling well (it never has been). I care deeply about X10.... AND it's survival. Currently... Home Automation is in a "golden age". There are a ton of new Home Automation products/protocols/accessories/ideas. Such a golden age... rarely happens with any product. The advent of Amazon's involvement with Alexa, Apple with Siri, Microsoft with Cortana, and other new cloud based products like Ring..... has created a ONCE IN A LIFETIME opportunity. Not just for us dedicated home automation users... but even more so... for company's like X10.

I like these guys here at the forum! But science tells us... that old men develop rock-hard paradigms. I fully understand that many of these great guys... can NOT break their mental image of Home Automation being just a way to remote control lights. 

But affection for the members of this forum doesn't NOT affect the mathematics of this new age of automation. Amazon has sold in the USA alone... 39 MILLION echo/Alexa AI units.

If X10 misses this opportunity to stay relevant in this exploding Home Automation industry... there won't be an X10 forum for me to be "a World of One" on. I've seen the X10 doors slam shut once before. I'd like to see X10 continue.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:02:29 PM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2018, 11:16:04 PM »

We had NO access today.  Internet and cable went out...… Cathy used the RADIO.

So.... are you saying we should limit our homes to 1920's (radio) technologies? What if you would have lost electric? Then what? I have a generator... but I am always a bit concerned about the quality of the electric it produces. But I always retain a backwards compatibility. Even if I lose power... I have smartphones.. so I don't lose the Internet.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:21:24 PM by HA Dave »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2018, 11:17:10 PM »

I fully understand that many of these great guys... can NOT break their mental image of Home Automation being just a way to remote control lights.

Here in the desert irrigation is far more important than lighting.  Lighting is just a convenience.  It would be a real pain to try to handle irrigation without automation.  As I have described before, our irrigation uses month and temperature to determine how much to irrigate.  Most of our yard is just 3 inches of topsoil over a lava flow, so proper irrigation is VERY important.  Many homes up here on the ridge over irrigate, with water running down the gutters in the morning.  I tried to find that sweet spot that keeps plants healthy with no waste.  And I don't need the cloud to do it.

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:32:43 PM by JeffVolp »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2018, 11:22:05 PM »

So.... are you saying we should limit our homes to 1920's (radio) technologies?

Obviously you are one of the folks who can't live without the cloud.  Some of us prefer older more reliable technologies.  I drive a 1979 280ZX that doesn't even have power steering.  And if I can find the parts, I can fix just about anything in it myself.

Jeff

HA Dave

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2018, 11:39:22 PM »

Obviously you are one of the folks who can't live without the cloud.

Yes... I do live in America! My retirement, my banking, my healthcare, my local emergency services, my doctor's office, the hospital down the street, and even my utility services... are all cloud based. Virtually... my life (as well as yours) is dependent on "the cloud" technology.

Some of us prefer older more reliable technologies.  I drive a 1979 280ZX that doesn't even have power steering.  And if I can find the parts, I can fix just about anything in it myself.

Yeah... nothing wrong with old technologies. Everything has it's place. I am cyclist myself... and have restored many old (pre-1970's) bicycles. But my Home Automation Hobby... like millions of others (most of who have only recently discovered Home Automation)… is about cutting edge tech.

BackAgain

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2018, 11:41:03 PM »

But affection for the members of this forum doesn't NOT affect the mathematics of this new age of automation. Amazon has sold in the USA alone...39 MILLION echo/Alexa AI units.

I for one am a bit tired of your incessant promotion of the JeffBox.   It's getting offensive and making me wonder how much of a sales commission you get from them.  If I ran this forum, I would probably censor those words so they would not appear here.

HA Dave

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2018, 11:46:59 PM »

I tried to find that sweet spot that keeps plants healthy with no waste.  And I don't need the cloud to do it.

Who was that member here (no longer posts)… that always posted I don't need that and I don't use it. . If I remember correctly.... he didn't want anything to do with computer controlled automation. He mostly used X10 for Christmas lighting.

HA Dave

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2018, 11:56:43 PM »

I for one am a bit tired of your incessant promotion of the JeffBox.   It's getting offensive and making me wonder how much of a sales commission you get from them.  If I ran this forum, I would probably censor those words so they would not appear here.

You'll want to ask Tuicemen about getting such privileges added to your account. But all of us here who do have such "censor privileges" (like myself) practice restraint.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2018, 12:20:29 AM »

Methinks we need to calm down. I started this one, and I think it's time to put the brakes on it.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.