Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Details about the X10 PLC Protocol  (Read 1061 times)

rowan.bradley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Details about the X10 PLC Protocol
« on: September 07, 2018, 01:48:26 PM »

I'm trying to fully understand the X10 Power Line Communications protocol prior to writing some software. Firstly I have been unable to find a full specification for this anywhere. Where can I find this? The main questions I have at this point are:
1. Can I address several units and then send commands to all of the addressed units? Exactly what sequence do I need to use to do this?
2. The information that I have seen tells me that successive Bright or Dim commands must be sent without any intervening quiet period. If I want to send 5 Dim commands to a device, what is the exact sequence for this?
3. What exactly should be the response to a Status Request command? What Letter Code should the device send?
4. How do I read back the value from a sensor, which may be 16 bits long? What command(s) do I send, and what does the device send back to me?

Thanks - Rowan

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Details about the X10 PLC Protocol
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:03:59 PM »

That information can all be found by spending some time with Google.  Most is answered in the X10 Technical Note that is available at multiple locations, including our own website:  http://jvde.us/info/X10_protocol.pdf

To handle 16 bit data you will need to use extended codes.  There is another document for that, but it is not currently available on our website.

Quick answers:

1)  Yes, on the same housecode:  A1, A2, A3, A_ON
2)  The dim commands must be concatenated with no gap between if you want to slew to a different level.
3)  A1, A_Status Request -> A_Status_ON
4)  Extended commands (you will have to read and understand the document).

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »

There's a PDF on my website that covers standard and extended codes.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/X10 xtdcode.pdf
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 06:31:41 PM »

Only a very few X10 modules are two way with a power line transmitter in them. So trying a Status Request on most modules will get no reply back.

LM14A, AM14A and the RR501 modules are the ones I can think of offhand.

Some of the Insteon Modules could also have an X10 Primary Address added to them. They where two way and will also respond to a Status Request or send a status change from the local control on the wall switches. One thing that is different. They used the %Dim commands and a Status Request would have a %Dim reply in the answer back.

rowan.bradley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:03:51 AM »

Thank you for those helpful replies. I had in fact already spent quite some time searching with Google, and I had already found the document TW523 Technical Note, but it seemed to me that this was more about using X10 via the TW523 than directly. I will read it again, and see whether it gives me the information that I need.

Thanks - Rowan

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.