Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: HomeGenie author has resurfaced on GitHub  (Read 7323 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: HomeGenie author has resurfaced on GitHub
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »

Alternatively if anything goes wrong just follow this

- backup your configuration
- uninstall current hg with the command "dpkg --remove homegenie"
- completely remove the hg folder "sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/homegenie"
- install new rxxxx "sudo gdebi homegenie-beta_1.1.rxxx_all.deb"
- restore your backup

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »

Thanks for the step by step. Gene has stated there were bugs in the beta restore even from a local file  the stable version fixes update from local but not the web.
I had a spare 16 gig SD card so I installed HG to it then restored HG from a back up and all went well!
I'll try your step by step on my other SD card and post how that went when I get a chance. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

Ok did the step by setup uninstall reinstall and that part went without a hitch.
The restore however took 3 or 4 attempts to get everything loaded and working.
I do think this version loads a bit quicker but other then that I don't see any difference.
I like that the new version dropped the Beta tag, that stopped many from even trying a great HA software for X10.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 11:38:58 AM »

I am just guessing here, but last time Gene changed major version numbers updates did not work.  If he dropped the "beta", it may be considered a new major version.  Updating is pretty easy without that anyway.  As petra mentioned, updating via backup and restore is pretty easy anyway.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 12:21:30 PM »

I am just guessing here, but last time Gene changed major version numbers updates did not work.  If he dropped the "beta", it may be considered a new major version.  Updating is pretty easy without that anyway.  As petra mentioned, updating via backup and restore is pretty easy anyway.

I think this is Genes way of bowing out gracefully with HG. Leave it as a final release. I stopped using the HG updater way back.

The backup/restore was always a little temperamental. I use to resolve it by updating Mono but it's a while since I seriously played around with HG. Also running HG in debug mode usually pinpointed the issue.

I mentioned the fact of a Gene release on the Homegenie Club forum but it has been noted that its far from stable.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 12:33:17 PM »

No Software is completely stable there are always bugs that popup.
Doing a uninstall and then install followed by a restore is a bit of a pain  but not impossible.
Gene stated the update from file is now working with the latest version so if there is another release that option should work.

I think this is Genes way of bowing out gracefully with HG. Leave it as a final release.

I hope your wrong there as not all the bugs were fixed that were reported in 526.
I don't care about enhancements being added as if I need something extra there are workarrounds
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 02:36:52 PM »

No Software is completely stable there are always bugs that popup.
Doing a uninstall and then install followed by a restore is a bit of a pain  but not impossible.
Gene stated the update from file is now working with the latest version so if there is another release that option should work.

I think this is Genes way of bowing out gracefully with HG. Leave it as a final release.

I hope your wrong there as not all the bugs were fixed that were reported in 526.
I don't care about enhancements being added as if I need something extra there are workarrounds

The Beta/Stable is a real Linux thing. As there's no real commercial value to going stable a lot of projects remain in the Beta phase. In fact I've used more Betas that were a lot more stable than their Stable counterparts. I don't get too caught up in all that labelling.

Yes individual solutions are regularly applied to instabilities but I loved the community contributions to problems on the old forum.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »

The Beta/Stable is a real Linux thing. As there's no real commercial value to going stable a lot of projects remain in the Beta phase.
And that is why Linux has such a issue with attracting  newbies from Windows.

Stable to me means it runs without crashing and is dependable, Beta means your testing it and expect the unexpected, crashes are highly possible and the software isn't dependable for regular (daily) use.
Few Windows users wish to be testers or run a HA setup with software in the testing stage.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 04:14:48 PM »

The Beta/Stable is a real Linux thing. As there's no real commercial value to going stable a lot of projects remain in the Beta phase.
And that is why Linux has such a issue with attracting  newbies from Windows.

Stable to me means it runs without crashing and is dependable, Beta means your testing it and expect the unexpected, crashes are highly possible and the software isn't dependable for regular (daily) use.
Few Windows users wish to be testers or run a HA setup with software in the testing stage.

Doesn't necessarily follow. I've seen so many BSOD screens from so called stable Windows software usually cured by so called "patches". That's for another days discussion though.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 04:20:27 PM »

Doesn't necessarily follow. I've seen so many BSOD screens from so called stable Windows software usually cured by so called "patches". That's for another days discussion though.
True, the labels only reflects who tries the software. no label lets the end user decide if it is beta or stable but at least it is tried.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 04:39:01 PM »

I always assume a software that's provided as open source is going to be a work in progress.  It could be completely usable for my needs, but that doesn't mean there aren't areas that could use improvements.  HG has a complete X10 setup but there were other areas that were getting a lot of attention prior to Gene stepping away.  From memory, a lot of it was the scheduler and some of the related features.  I didn't use that stuff much since the old scheduler was already setup for me (albeit painfully).  I did switch over after he left and the new one is a lot better.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »

And another new version is out I guess Gene is back for a bit :)%
The beta tag is back too  ::) :'
Looks like it only fixes the HG updater
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »

I loaded up the newest version of HG last night.
even though it was the latest version it did report a newer version was available which indicates the files it was comparing didn't exist doing the update fixed that.
v1.2-beta.2
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »

with Gene apparently having some extra time to now work on this  Now might be the time for end users to be posting issues. it would definitely show there is still lots of interest in his creation.
https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/issues
Posting suggestions here also will get some interest and may even make it into a new release.

As a software developer myself I love to see posts expressing interest in my creations if nothing else it gets me motivated. ;)
 >!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:01:08 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »

with Gene apparently having some extra time to now work on this  Now might be the time for end users to be posting issues. it would definitely show there is still lots of interest in his creation.
https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/issues
Posting suggestions here also will get some interest and may even make it into a new release.

As a software developer myself I love to see posts expressing interest in my creations if nothing else it gets me motivated. ;)
 >!

As I previously mentioned, HG wouldn't have a very big X10 user base. Even at its most popular phase X10 postings were fairly limited.

Just out of curiosity I tried X10 on as many Raspberry Pi based platforms as i could and had some very promising results. It didn't bother me too much that I had to install either Heyu or Mochad as a separate server on the same Pi to achieve this.

It was out of this experimentation I found Home Assistant to be the most versatile solution for me.

A lot of experienced Home Genie users are still lurking but in a lot of cases have since moved on to other platforms. Bounz who decided to fork the Home Genie project has now bowed out. This leaves the user base at the mercy of Gene, the original author.

By all means people can take the chance that the Home Genie project will come alive again, or they can start familiarising themselves with fully active alternatives.

I personally would not sell anyone on any particular solution owing to volatile nature of some of these platforms but I will suggest that you try a number of them and make your own choice of what suits best.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.