Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: HomeGenie author has resurfaced on GitHub  (Read 7326 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: HomeGenie author has resurfaced on GitHub
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 08:37:50 AM »

Bounz who decided to fork the Home Genie project has now bowed out. This leaves the user base at the mercy of Gene, the original author.
I don't believe Bounz has bowed out he has a new family  which is taking up a lot of his free time right now as new babies do. He is working on 2 new installers at the same time and one is hard enough to debug with out lots of feed back. To me there isn't enough difference between HGBE and HG to switch to BE

I personally would not sell anyone on any particular solution owing to volatile nature of some of these platforms but I will suggest that you try a number of them and make your own choice of what suits best.
I agree most of these different solutions support several different protocols and even allow end user creations to be shared and added on.
For now I like the look and feel of HG and it suits my current HA needs.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 12:49:52 PM »

As can be seen from previous posts on this section of the forum @mike has gone the Domoticz route and @Iviper myself and a few others have gone the Home Assistant route.

I've no doubt that a few others have gone the Home Genie route but it would be helpful if Raspberry Pi users reported back their adventures on these platforms and we could keep it as generic as possible. This would generate more traffic and from that we could work out what may be best to invest our time and energy into

Maybe a section titled X10 on the Raspberry Pi where users of X10 could share their exploits may be the way forward. Of course the Raspberry Pi is not the only Single Board Computer out there but it could be a good starting point.

Strange to think there's a generation or two that have never even heard of X10 let alone used it.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

X10 isn't connected to the IoT trend.  Since it doesn't have WiFi, it's not cool like the other tech.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 02:19:14 PM »

X10 isn't connected to the IoT trend.  Since it doesn't have WiFi, it's not cool like the other tech.
I remember early post of users complaining  of only 256 x10 devices in AHP. I wonder what users are going to complain about when they have 255 wifi HA devices?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »

I remember early post of users complaining  of only 256 x10 devices in AHP. I wonder what users are going to complain about when they have 255 wifi HA devices?

Add another router. I have 192.168.0.xxx, 192.168.1.xxx, 192.168.10.xxx and 192.168.2.xxx
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »

Add another router. I have 192.168.0.xxx, 192.168.1.xxx, 192.168.10.xxx and 192.168.2.xxx
and how does that affect your connection speed ? My high speed cable connection is already slower then my off grid Dsl connection and I only use one router at each place.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 08:09:42 PM »

Remember, I had dial-up at 28.8kbps until not very long ago. I can stream music and video over each network. Its fast enough for me.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »

If you put all of your automation devices on a single router plugged into the primary one serving everything else, then you will not see any degradation in performance.  IoT devices don't take any bandwidth (unless we are talking network cameras).  If you have a 14.4 connection, you are screwed anyway.  I have slightly faster than a 14.4, so I'm going to be slightly ok when I get more IoT devices beyond that couple ESP's I've been playing with.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.