Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Automation Standards best Practices  (Read 1581 times)

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Automation Standards best Practices
« on: September 21, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »

I have programmed phone systems my whole life.

I am looking for any data on how to set up automation with the X10 equipment I purchased.

My want and need for learning is in regards to the House Codes and the numbers that are on the equipment. Do these relate specifically to zones? I have searched all over every forum and scoured what little instruction/tech manuals I can. Most of the information is old or outdated. So....a new thread I thought would be best. I have an older PS561 along with the newer SC12(00). Is the PS561 good for anything?

In short, what are the best practices? How do I make zones. Can I use my old CM15A? Currently I have it running with the SDK and software on an older computer that I use as a file server, but it seems to not be able to control devices. I can see the switches move when I press buttons on the remote, but nothing happens when I use the software to control modules/devices.

I am sure to have more questions as I open my mind to the possibilities.

I have the intrusion alarm part up and running and works well. I want more though. LOL. I want to be able to flash lights when the alarm goes off, have lights turn on when the wife disarms the system with her key fob. etc. However, I need to know how the system works and what it expects when it is programmed.

Thanks in advance for any and all help to this newbie.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Automation Standards best Practices
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »

If your cm15 can't control devices you need to investigate why and get that working ;)
You obviously have a signal sucker or noise issue in your setup and this needs to be addressed before you plan on creating anything or you'll be  B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LostDog88

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 11:35:42 AM »

Understood.

The documentation in my opinion is sparse at best. So........this leads me to the first question I have on this quest for learning.

My understanding is that the CM15A sends a signal across the power lines @ 120HZ. Based on your reply I am assuming I am correct. Or am I off?

If this is the case, that is easily fixed, I just need to "link" the two legs of my house wiring together passively. Right?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »

The cm15 can send signals via PLC or RF.
A phase coupler will solve you issue of PLC signals getting to the other phase however it will not solve the issue of noise or signal suckers
see this thread for links to valuable info on creating a reliable X10 setup.
 http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=11766.0
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 01:52:24 PM »

I would also recommend Jeff's information. In the thread like provided.
Also on Jeff's web site:    http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

A passive coupler can only couple the signal to the other phase. At the level it is at the breaker panel along with any noise also on the line. If the signal is low due to losses in the system. There may not be much 120KHz signal left to couple.

An X10  repeater will send a full strength X10 signal back on the power line. The top of the line is the XTB-IIR from Jeff.
Hits the power lines with a strong X10 signal and does not sometimes get into an X10 firestorm. Like some other repeaters have been known to do in some instances.

LostDog88

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 01:55:22 PM »

RF? As in wireless?
How do you set the CM15A to send out wireless signals instead of over the power line?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:58:47 PM by LostDog88 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »

You can set it up per address (module) in AHP (smart macros is required I believe) or using the SDK (see the documentation for the commands) however having it send RF you need something that will see the RF signal and convert it if needed.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.