Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Leviton dhc hxc4d . How to program for older 6227 receptacle?  (Read 2845 times)

Gm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Leviton dhc hxc4d . How to program for older 6227 receptacle?
« on: September 21, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »

Hi, Newbie here to x10 . I have a customer who has landscape lighting transformers controlled with Leviton dhc Intellisense switches. I believe ( if I’m using the right terminology) he has one master and 3 slaves . The ttansformers are connected to outlets controlled by hcm06 switches in the basement. I would like to add one more transformer to a remote part of the yard. I have a duplex x10 outlet 6227 , with dials on it . How do I program the slave or switch to turn on the 6227?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Leviton dhc hxc4d . How to program for older 6227 receptacle?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »

Have you found the controller that operates the HM06 switches?  If so what controller is it?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:12:49 AM »

The HCM06 is programed with an X10 address command and has no House and Unit Code dials. You put it into a programming mode and the first X10 address it see on the power lines is what it will be addressed.

You mentioned a HXC4D in the subject line. Is that the controller used to control the HCM06? I attached the users sheet for the HXC4D for you to use. It also uses some programming button pushes to program the X10 addresses. I will look it over and see if a way an easy way to determine the addresses can be easily found.

The HCM06 is a dimmer style switch that says it can be used on inductive loads like a transformer.

So after determining the X10 address being sent to the HCM06. You would set the House Code and Unit Code dials to the address being sent.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:21:05 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »

Since the HXC4D is a capable of scenes and the HCM06 can have scenes set into it. Observe the lights actions with the four sets of on off buttons on the HXC4D controling the lights. If some buttons turn the lights on and off at different bright settings. That would effect if the 6227 outlet will respond. As it only will process on, off and all units off commands.

The 6227 also has local control sensing. There is a chance the transformer you have it controlling. My make some noise when switched off and the outlet my trigger back on.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:22:00 AM by Brian H »

Gm

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

Hi , and thanks for the replies. I guess what I'm looking for is to tell what house and unit code I should set the 6227 outlet to. How do I tell what the other units are programmed to and what the third set of switches on/off are set to so i can set the house / unit code on the 6227?. And lastly will this work at all? The other 3 transformers are on regular outlets wired to the main house basement to individual hcm06's and controlled by any of 4 ,4 button switches . There are no scenes programmed , strictly on/off which turns the power to the outlet the transformer is connected to on or off. Again , thanks for all your help!! I tried calling Leviton, who says they don't support it anymore and also home automation . I was afraid to hit the program button on the 4 button decora switch , since I don't know if that would erase the original programming .

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 01:03:28 PM »

Those outlets that are wired to a dimmer switch (the Leviton HCM06) are a violation of the electrical code.

NEC 406.15 Dimmer-Controlled Receptacles. A receptacle supplying lighting loads shall not be connected to a dimmer unless the plug/receptacle combination is a nonstandard configuration type that is specifically listed and identified for each such unique combination.

As each outlet is now, someone could plug a vacuum cleaner (or similar high amp device) into the outlet and blow the HCM06 or worse (electrical fire).

The HCM06 dimmers must be removed and the outlets changed to a X10 type such as the 6227.

Alternatively, remove the HCM06 dimmers and just plug the transformers into X10 appliance modules (assuming these outlets are located indoors).

Or alternatively, some landscape lighting transformers have a built-in receptacle for a plug-in timer (inside the transformer cabinet).  In such cases, it is possible to use an X10 appliance module inside the transformer cabinet instead of the plug-in timer.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 01:22:38 PM »

Hi , and thanks for the replies. I guess what I'm looking for is to tell what house and unit code I should set the 6227 outlet to. How do I tell what the other units are programmed to and what the third set of switches on/off are set to so i can set the house / unit code on the 6227?. And lastly will this work at all? The other 3 transformers are on regular outlets wired to the main house basement to individual hcm06's and controlled by any of 4 ,4 button switches . There are no scenes programmed , strictly on/off which turns the power to the outlet the transformer is connected to on or off. Again , thanks for all your help!! I tried calling Leviton, who says they don't support it anymore and also home automation . I was afraid to hit the program button on the 4 button decora switch , since I don't know if that would erase the original programming .
Because you have no way of seeing the X10 code on the lines, to see what is coming out of the HXC4D. You may have to reprogram the whole setup. Does the home have any other X10 devices? If not I would set the 6227 to HCUC A4 in hopes that the original installer set the HXC4D to start at HCUC A1, so the fourth button would be A4. If the 6227 does not respond, you will either have to reprogram the entire setup (controller and switches) OR another laborious possibility is to; one by one, start going through all 256 HCUCs until the 6227 clicks. In other words start with setting the 6227 to A1 and push the ON then OFF button 4 on the HXC4D. Then switch the 6227 to A2, and push button 4 ON-OFF, A3 button 4, and so to P16. I am saying push the ON then OFF because I don't know what state the 6227 was left in. If new from the factory it *should* be OFF but then there is Murphy's law.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:55:15 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »

The attached Tech Note from Leviton should give you a good understanding of what you have and how to use it as well as allow you to program the HXCD - see page 3.  Note that instructions for HCCxx and HXCxx are the same. Have a look and then ask away for whatever you need!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:06:34 PM by brobin »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 06:51:13 PM »

brobin

Thank you for the DHC tech note manual.
I shows exactly how to determine the X10 address set in the hxc4d.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:54:26 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 07:01:15 PM »

Another option to the dimmer controlling an outlet issue.
The HCM06 switches could be changed to a WS13A or WS469A or an XPS4. They are an On Off style style X10 switch that can be used to control an outlet. Since the HCM06 needed a neutral power connection on an inductive load. It should be available  for the replacements. That also use a neutral.

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »

To get around the dimmer controlling an outlet issue, another option would be to not remove the HCM06 dimmers, and instead hard wire the transformers, i.e. don't use the plugs/outlets at all.  Assuming that these transformers are indoors, such as in the basement, each transformer could be connected to power (coming from a HCM06) by cutting off the plug and running the transformer cord through flexible conduit to the outlet electrical box.  (This assumes that the existing transformer cord is of the appropriate type for this purpose).  Use the appropriate conduit fittings for the conduit-to-transformer-case and the conduit-to-outlet-box connections.  This is probably the easiest and lowest cost solution, as it doesn't require the purchase of any new X10 devices.  Another advantage of retaining the HCM06 dimmers is that the person may have wanted to have the landscape lights at less than full brightness.  The HCM06 (in addition to Leviton scene capability which maybe wasn't being used) has the resume dim feature.  So each HCM06 could be set to say 70% for example, and then when the HXC4D sends an ON command, the landscape lights will always ramp up to only 70%.  If using halogen or incandescent bulbs in the outdoor low voltage lighting fixtures, running the lights at reduced voltage this way greatly extends the bulb life.  I suspect that this is why the HCM06 dimmers were initially installed.  It seems as if the HCM06s are used only as receivers (not manually switched on/off) and control is achieved via the 4 HXC4Ds located in various rooms.

So if GM is going to add an additional transformer and set of outdoor lights, he should consider whether or not it is desirable to have dimming capability.  If so, it would be better to use another HCM06 as explained above, instead of the 6227.  Leviton HCM06 dimmers can sometimes be found on eBay, both new and used.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:58:42 PM by x10wizard »

Gm

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »

Ok, I can bring that problem up to the customer, and the solution ie: hardwiring the the other transformers, thanks . Still trying to figure how I know what code to set the 6227 receptacle at. And also is this all I need , or is a repeater or something needed in between? The transformers are all outside at least 60- 100 ft from the house . Thanks for all the help.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2018, 09:55:37 AM »

One thing to consider is the transformers may not like working off a dimmer switch.  Magnetic transformers in particular do not like the DC imbalance from the triac not switching exactly at the same point on opposite half cycles, causing core saturation.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »

Ok, I can bring that problem up to the customer, and the solution ie: hardwiring the the other transformers, thanks . Still trying to figure how I know what code to set the 6227 receptacle at. And also is this all I need , or is a repeater or something needed in between? The transformers are all outside at least 60- 100 ft from the house . Thanks for all the help.

The DHC technical manual in replay #7. Gives you the way to tell what the HXC4D buttons are set to. Unsnap the key pad and observe the LED matrix. Using the program button to start it. The chart in the manual tells you what the House and Unit Code for the top button. By the off and on LED pattern. Example if it is set to L1 for the top button. The second is L2, third is L3 and the last one is L4.

Pick the address from the controllers button settings and then set the House and Unit Code dials on the 6227 to the address of the button you want to use. The manual has an example of how the modules with dials House and Unit Code are set.

You can test the 6227 wiring it to a test cord and try it in a few locations. If it works in some areas but not where you want it located. Then you will need to think about a phase coupler, X10 repeater or filters on noisy and signal sucking devices.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:05:36 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.