Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Price jump?  (Read 2273 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Price jump?
« on: September 23, 2018, 08:38:45 AM »

I've been told Authinxs next shipment of modules (not just the WM100) will be hit by the Trump tariffs.
Authinx can't afford the hit so the increase must be past on to the customer. :(
So if your holding off picking up any X10 device you might wish to get it soon.

I know some were waiting for a price drop before getting a WM100. That isn't going to happen! :(
I suspect when/if Trump ever removes the tariffs many companies (if they raised prices) will not drop their prices.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Price jump?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »

I wonder what the cost would be to move manufacturing to north america.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »

Of course, the components must be imported, but maybe it's time for a WM200 from scratch.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 09:25:35 AM »

....and Jeff is looking to retire. I'd bet they could buy his designs as a jumping off point.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 09:28:30 AM »

Sorry for the rant, but the WM100 is really a NM100. It's clearly a Net Module (or cloud module)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »

Sorry for the rant, but the WM100 is really a NM100. It's clearly a Net Module (or cloud module)
Many Chinese manufactures view the cloud as the way to go with no back up plan needed. This may in the future be the case but the tech isn't flaw proof. They introduce products which solely use the Cloud only to be hit with multiple customer complains when the servers go down.
 Creating cloud dependent devices is easy to code and less expensive then being locally controlled this gets there products to market much quicker which helps offset costs. However they soon realize Local control is needed they are just slow to implement B:(

Most IOT chips are capable of Local control the chip in the WM100 is no different.
Time has shown it usually takes years for a company to implement local control to a cloud device, even Amazon is just adding it to their newest echo plus.
If Authinx gets local control added prior to 2020 they will be faster at implementing it then most.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »

I've been told Authinxs next shipment of modules (not just the WM100) will be hit by the Trump tariffs.

Yes, some components I use have already increased in price.  I ordered most of the major components before the increase, so it is only a few bucks per unit so far.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »

JeffVolp once told me "it's called engineering". My degree is in EE, but I never went that route after college. I joined my family trade(s).

One of the very first classes I ever took was "ethics in engineering".

What I took away from that is that shortcuts affect quality and it was perfectly fine to admit you didn't know something and would attempt to find the answer.

I carried this over to everything I do, from farming to building to fighting fires.

Too bad the manufacturer can't do the same. The rush to make something cheap has made things "cheap".

Ignorance has soured my taste on the interface.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 02:17:46 PM »

JeffVolp once told me "it's called engineering". My degree is in EE, but I never went that route after college. I joined my family trade(s).

One of the very first classes I ever took was "ethics in engineering".

What I took away from that is that shortcuts affect quality and it was perfectly fine to admit you didn't know something and would attempt to find the answer.

I carried this over to everything I do, from farming to building to fighting fires.

Too bad the manufacturer can't do the same. The rush to make something cheap has made things "cheap".

Ignorance has soured my taste on the interface.

Built in obsolescence negates the requirement for quality these days as far as I can see. The manufacturer doesn't want your equipment to last a lifetime now though it would help if the item was fit for purpose while it lasts. The emphasis now is on what components in your equipment is actually recyclable.

The future looks something like this I reckon https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/the-punnet-a-card-case-for-you-to-print-for-free/

Just send you a paper bag with all the components and assemble it yourself. Not a million miles off what the old DIY and tinkerers world used to be but that came about through pioneering and lack of availability rather than anything else.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.