Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Who's Footing The Bill?  (Read 6708 times)

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Who's Footing The Bill?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 09:46:05 PM »

Agree that most X10 users are likely longer term users than a year or two. I have been using X10 since the late 70's/early 80's (can't remember exactly when my buddy turned me on the RS PnP products)

One reason we are 'long term' though is most likely because the protocol is old. If Alexa was around in the 70's we'd probably still be chatting with her. The new or short term user is most likely the new user who has just been introduced to HA through the IoT or current devices....

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 10:31:14 PM »

I still have my original plug n power timer. Still have 2 4x4 mini controllers branded radio shack. I'm guessing I have over 20 RS lamp and appliance modules.

Some of these are going on 30 years old.

I've ebayed even older BSR modules. Made in Maylasia. Before x10 went to Hong Kong.

They all still work.

If the WM100 is designed to fail at 18 months, what's the point?
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 11:03:55 PM »

Dave, you're making the point that this unit isn't worth the pricetag.

Well maybe! I never quite understood where X10 was heading with this remote. Although... it is a fine remote, except for the flaws.

I think... if there is a lesson to be learned here... it's that everything we know nothing about always looks very easy to do. International product development might sound really easy.... but they might have needed an expert.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 11:14:11 PM »

I think most of us here have been using X10 for much longer than a "year or two".  I started with the brown BSR modules and the clock timer with the blue display back in the 80's.  And our XTB devices are intended to have a similar life span.

You make my point Jeff. Older Americans... expect everything to last like durable goods. I am NOT saying we're wrong. but our world view [paradigm] is just that. And doesn't expose any Vidal, universal truth. Some people believe... if a product is developing and improving at an exponential rate... it would be foolish to make it last for very long. exponentially developing technologies require cheap new products every few months.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 12:20:35 AM »

Some people believe... if a product is developing and improving at an exponential rate... it would be foolish to make it last for very long. exponentially developing technologies require cheap new products every few months.

Ah, the throw away society.  Consume resources and dump the products they create in landfills when a newer version comes out.  I believe in designing products that last.  Of course that is not a sustainable business plan once saturation is achieved.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 12:36:34 AM »

Fact is.... nothing is forever. All these people concerned about their Home Automation being a service. Like somehow they've figured out how to OWN their electric power, cable/satellite TV, Internet, or phone. Even if you own your home.... government powers will certainly demand a TAX... for your privilege of ownership.

True, nothing lasts forever but many of us have indeed figured out how to operate autonomously. For the two weeks after Hurricane Irma last year when electric and cable were out, we had a 48kw genset, a 1000 gal tank of propane and a TV antenna mounted in the attic. At least within our 4 walls, things were cool, comfortable and pretty normal.  The pool didn't turn green and we didn't have a mold festival in our house because none of the systems needed the cloud. They can all be controlled through it but they don't rely on it.  As for the taxes, well, that's what paid to clean up the whole mess and provide needed services and security.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 12:59:52 AM »

One reason we are 'long term' though is most likely because the protocol is old. If Alexa was around in the 70's we'd probably still be chatting with her. The new or short term user is most likely the new user who has just been introduced to HA through the IoT or current devices....

So true. If you Google 'home automation' now, X10 doesn't even show up until the 4th search result page - a place rarely visited. Few if any new HA customers will find or know about X10 and will simply go WifI control or Zwave.  Most of us have enough modules to last our lifetimes and can buy more on ebay for 10 or 12 bucks apiece.  That doesn't bode well for Authinx' bottom line.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:04 AM »

Some of you old radio guy may chuckle when I say I'm using a Plectron P4 at the house to alert me of our fire tones. That's a quality receiver.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »

Ah, the throw away society

Yep... although that term is considered derogatory.

Consume resources and dump the products they create in landfills when a newer version comes out.

Consume? Or is it exploit? NO resource on planet Earth is expected to last forever... by anyone. Science and religions agree... even mankind is only a temporary visitor. If the resources available to us aren't used.... they will be sinfully wasted. We're tourist here! Look around, see things, have a good time.

I believe in designing products that last.  Of course that is not a sustainable business plan once saturation is achieved.

I think most business plans concern themselves more with making profit. No one like waste. Most people dislike poverty more.

HA Dave

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »

…… For the two weeks after Hurricane Irma last year when electric and cable were out, we had a 48kw genset, a 1000 gal tank of propane and a TV antenna mounted in the attic. At least within our 4 walls, things were cool, comfortable and pretty normal......

I am a bit of a boy scout myself. I also believe in being as prepared as I can be. I think I could turn Prepper… except my wife would kill me (I keep my bug-out bag hidden).

HA Dave

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »

…... Most of us have enough modules to last our lifetimes and can buy more on ebay for 10 or 12 bucks apiece.  That doesn't bode well for Authinx' bottom line.

And that is what concerns me the most too. But... X10 can still exploit the fact that X10 doesn't tie-up vital bandwidth. And... if they join-in with the other flavors and brands of Home Automation... X10 could remain a big brand name in the biz. But it needs a short, medium, and long-term plan. A vision for X10 and its customers. The old hob-nob with the foreign vendors and throw-out what they come up with..... ain't going to get it. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »

Some of you old radio guy may chuckle when I say I'm using a Plectron P4 at the house to alert me of our fire tones. That's a quality receiver.
I bet you have a Motorola Pagecom laying around somewhere also.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 09:12:13 PM »

I bet you have a Motorola Pagecom laying around somewhere also.

I do, but its nonfunctional.  The plectron has had its crystal replaced with an oscillator circuit.

I really need to pitch some stuff. I have several low band pacfones, and 2 or three kenwood and M highland transceivers.  We're moving to the MARCS Paco p25 system here and soon all will be obsolete.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 05:29:52 AM »

Every now and then I pop in here to see the state of X10 as voiced by the true veterans. from what I have read, it appears that there is a sense of futility to this brand. If the WM100 will peter out, it spells the end of X10? I have been on this nostalgic ride for quite some time; but, even I know that if a brand is not profitable, that brand closes shop...I will dream with the rest of you folks...To be continued

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »

Many of these threads remind me of the old days of going to dinner with my first wife.

No matter how hard I would try to steer the conversation on where to go...….. she inevitably would recite complaints about every restaurant in the area.

Sometimes.... you just have to know when it's time to move on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.