Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Can't See QR Code (Can't Access Camera)  (Read 11709 times)

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Can't See QR Code (Can't Access Camera)
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »

I just got a new Android tablet.    One of my first apps, that I installed, was the X10 app.

However, the app doesn't seem to want to access neither of the tablet's cameras.   :'(

Yes, the first time thru it triggered a pop up asking if the app can access the camera.   I clicked on "allow".    I have since went into Settings App, and have verified that the X10 app does indeed have permission to access the camera.

The X10 app just doesn't seem to be able to actually access a camera.  When the app tries, I just get a screen with a horizontal red line, and some random white dots flashing.  Yes, both cameras work when I manually try to simply take a picture.

Given this, how can I access my X10 Wifi Module?   Is there some way to manually enter the equivalent of the QR code?
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Can't See QR Code (Can't Access Camera)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 01:24:06 AM »

It sounds like it's trying. The red line should be centered over the QR code and the white dots are the program scanning the code. Make sure you have plenty of light shining on the QR code. You may need to adjust your camera setting. You might want to try an app like Amazon which also scans QR & UPC codes to see if the problem is with the X10 app or your tablet's camera setting.  What make/model tablet did you buy?

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »

It sounds like it's trying. The red line should be centered over the QR code and the white dots are the program scanning the code. Make sure you have plenty of light shining on the QR code. You may need to adjust your camera setting. You might want to try an app like Amazon which also scans QR & UPC codes to see if the problem is with the X10 app or your tablet's camera setting.  What make/model tablet did you buy?

Good suggestion.    After reading your helpful reply, I downloaded a couple of different QR Code reader apps from Google Play, and guess what.   None of them work.   Just like with the X10 app, all I get is a blank/black screen with a red horizontal line. 

However, let me add that both the front and the rear cameras work with the built-in android camera function, and work with any app that uses the cameras to take a snap shot or record/view video.   For example, I have a "nanny cam" app that I have been using for years, and it continues to work on my new tablet.

Its a Teclast T20.    I emailed the manufacturer about this problem, and waiting for a reply.

Let me speculate that possibly, the QR Code reader is a built-in Android function, and apps simply are "calling" some subroutine that's missing/bad from my T20?    ???
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:15:21 PM »

Good suggestion.    After reading your helpful reply, I downloaded a couple of different QR Code reader apps from Google Play, and guess what.   None of them work.   Just like with the X10 app, all I get is a blank/black screen with a red horizontal line. 

Have you tried the other apps with Other QR codes or just theWM100 code?
If just with the WM code try other codes the QR code could have a wrinkle or some defect. which causes the scan to fail.
The WI-FI daughter board in the WM100 has the same QR code on it.
Also others have reported taking a picture of the QR code then scanning that worked.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:57:17 PM »

Have you tried the other apps with Other QR codes or just theWM100 code?
If just with the WM code try other codes the QR code could have a wrinkle or some defect. which causes the scan to fail.
The WI-FI daughter board in the WM100 has the same QR code on it.
Also others have reported taking a picture of the QR code then scanning that worked.
 >!

No, just the WM100 code, but the problem seems to be that the code label and surroundings aren't visible at all in the app screen.    Its like the camera isn't actually 'on', or the app isn't getting the video feed.

brobin

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »

I agree that it sounds like the camera isn't being activated correctly by the scanning programs.  You might want to look at the permissions for the scanning apps to ensure that 'Camera' is set to 'on' or 'yes' and in the camera app itself check that the 'Draw over other apps' setting is on.  In the camera settings check to see if there's a way to enhance the contrast or brightness.  Set the flash to always and if it doesn't come on that might be a clue that the camera isn't being activated.  If none of that helps try dl'ing another camera app from the play store. I've used 'A Better Camera' and it worked better than the stock app on the Galaxy S5 when I had that phone. Hope these thoughts help.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:48:47 PM by brobin »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 04:05:31 PM »

... I downloaded a couple of different QR Code reader apps from Google Play, and guess what.   None of them work.   Just like with the X10 app, all I get is a blank/black screen with a red horizontal line. 

Sounds like an issue with the device, and/or the OS on it. If other QR-scanning apps can't properly access the camera, then it isn't something specific to the X10 app - and there is likely nothing that can be done in the X10 app to correct it.
Have you tried rebooting the device?
It sounds like the device has multiple cameras (I'm guessing front and rear). Are there options in *any* of the other QR reader programs to select which camera is used with the app? Most QR scanner programs can scan normal barcodes, too. I'd try one of those (off a box of cereal, for example) to see if it can read it.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »

Yes, the first time thru it triggered a pop up asking if the app can access the camera.   I clicked on "allow".    I have since went into Settings App, and have verified that the X10 app does indeed have permission to access the camera.

You might want to look at the permissions for the scanning apps to ensure that 'Camera' is set to 'on' or 'yes' and in the camera app itself check that the 'Draw over other apps' setting is on. 

While I did check permissions, I didn't know about any settings that might be required in the camera app itself.   I'll check that tonight.   Thanks.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 10:23:16 AM »

... I downloaded a couple of different QR Code reader apps from Google Play, and guess what.   None of them work.   Just like with the X10 app, all I get is a blank/black screen with a red horizontal line. 

Sounds like an issue with the device, and/or the OS on it. If other QR-scanning apps can't properly access the camera, then it isn't something specific to the X10 app - and there is likely nothing that can be done in the X10 app to correct it.
Have you tried rebooting the device?
It sounds like the device has multiple cameras (I'm guessing front and rear). Are there options in *any* of the other QR reader programs to select which camera is used with the app? Most QR scanner programs can scan normal barcodes, too. I'd try one of those (off a box of cereal, for example) to see if it can read it.

Device has been rebooted a few times.

To my surprise, none of the QR Reader programs, including the X10 app, ask which camera to use.  Hay, even my phone has two cameras.   I did check, and neither my new tablet's rear camera (the one I would expect... again on my phone the X10 app selects the rear camera) nor the tablet's front facing camera are being activated.    I'll mention this again, that my "nanny cam" app works, but in its settings, does allow the user to select which camera to use.

Maybe its that apps which query the OS on cameras which are available, and offers the user select one, works OK.   However, apps which simply assume a camera, are all assuming wrong (there is no camera defined by the OS to be the default?).

brobin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 12:11:06 PM »

Did you try a different camera app and set it as the default?  I wouldn't be surprised if that solved your problem. The free app named 'A Better Camera' is a good one to try.  You can always uninstall t if it doesn't work.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »

Did you try a different camera app and set it as the default?  I wouldn't be surprised if that solved your problem. The free app named 'A Better Camera' is a good one to try.  You can always uninstall t if it doesn't work.

I tried "a better camera" and while it worked fine, it didn't get the separate QR code apps working.

brobin

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

Have you tried running setup with a different tablet or phone? Once you get through the initial setup my understanding is that you can then open it on other devices without setting up again.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »

Have you tried running setup with a different tablet or phone? Once you get through the initial setup my understanding is that you can then open it on other devices without setting up again.

I have the app running on my old tablet, and on my current phone.     I wish there was some way to setup the X10 app on a 2nd (or 3rd, etc) device, without needing to take a picture of the QR code.

brobin

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »

Take a photo of the code and print it out so it's always handy w/o having to uplug the unit.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 11:01:50 AM »

Take a photo of the code and print it out so it's always handy w/o having to uplug the unit.

Thanks, but that doesn't help while there is still a bug in the X10 App that prevents it from "connecting" to the camera (it can't "see" the actual code nor a picture of the code).
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.