Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What the wm100 future holds  (Read 4646 times)

bubbah

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What the wm100 future holds
« on: October 03, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »

Would it be possible to have, for we who read here and support the x10 wifi project, have a little information of what and when to expect updates to software and to firmware? It would be great !!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: What the wm100 future holds
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »

As soon as I hear an Update is to be released I post as much info as I can find out about it.
However the last two updates I didn't hear much of an advance notification. Usually I get to test run it prior to being released (Android Version).

As far as adds and options none are scheduled  until current bugs are worked out.
IOS is giving the developer a run for their money. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »

Assuming all WM100 owners registered their product how difficult can it be for Authinx to communicate via email this information directly to them. It's not a lot to ask for I imagine.

They seem happy enough to allow the forum to inform everyone what and when things are happening. I did notice at the end of their user manual they suggest that owners refer to this forum for further troubleshooting too.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 03:13:58 PM »

Of all the apps I've registered none have emailed me of pending updates. As well all hardware I've registered none have emailed me of firmware or software up grades I only found out about them after the fact when trying to find a fix for something so Authinx isn't alone in not informing end users. I think Authinx is better at keeping users informed then X10WTI was but that's my opinion.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 04:22:33 PM »

Agreed.  However, this software is so buggy that we need some reassurance that issues will be addressed. So far, not so good.

We’re not talking about new features and enhancements. We’re talking about basic functions and features, as outlined in the marketing kit.

I just have a bad feeling about this.  I think that others do too.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »

The main issue I believe is the app developer. They know once the apps are working they are out of work so they are milking it for all they can. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »

Assuming all WM100 owners registered their product how difficult can it be for Authinx to communicate via email this information directly to them. It's not a lot to ask for I imagine.
Petera, Bubbah, you make good suggestions. Send Authinx an email and see what they say. Everything originates with them. I do not think they monitor this forum.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:37:53 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

MitchellShnier

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »

FYI, I posted a support query to X10 asking when the WM100 would be able to:
  • Get the time from the Internet after a power failure (the most important thing it does is make my house look lived-in when I'm away, so without it knowing the time it is almost useless).
  • Specify a dim level for the lights at dusk.
  • Back-up the configuration.
The next day I received the reply:
These are actually the most requested features for the WM100, so you are not alone!  We are looking into solutions for all three of these, however, some of them would require hardware changes.  We have our developers working on these, but do not have any other information other than that acknowledgement. Thanks for the feedback!

As I think has been reported elsewhere, I don't understand why any of these would require hardware changes (I'm not asking for a battery backed-up clock). It is unfortunate they have no idea of when these software changes might be available.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »

The reason Authinx has no Idea as to when or if any of those issues will be implemented is they are at the mercy of the developer who appears to only work on the apps when they feel like it.
Each time I contact the lead Authinx  WM100 rep I bring up those issues as well as a few others.

They keep being told it is a hardware issue which is bull.

The wm100 already sends requests to the server and gets back info so asking for time each power cycle is not impossible to implement the server just needs to supply that info not ask the hone for it.
 It would require a Firmware and server upgrade however.

Specifying a dim level at dawn or dusk is  simple code instead of sending a on or off, have it sent dim % or brighten %

Back ups are also a simple thing to do with the App, The restore function however would require a firmware upgrade.

In fact it is possible to restore your setup if the WM100 loses the info now however it is a lengthy process even for a small setup.
I believe Knightrider documented that somewhere.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »

... The wm100 already sends requests to the server and gets back info so asking for time each power cycle is not impossible to implement the server just needs to supply that info not ask the hone for it.
 It would require a Firmware and server upgrade however.

That probably would be a better idea than querying an NTP server for the time. Presumably, the X10 server knows the time, and if the WM100 were set to a timezone, it could either be sent the UTC time, and do the conversions itself, or have the server send it the local time in the selected timezone. Sounds simple enough to me.

And just about everything we've been asking for would require a firmware and/or server upgrade - that shouldn't come as a surprise to them.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »

Those famous words "we are looking into it".

In the meantime the technology world is moving apace and by the time owners are likely to see these enhancements the WM100 could well be gone the way of the dinosaur.

Maybe an email to the NSA might unearth a little more than one to tech support  -:)

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 02:32:24 PM »

The reason Authinx has no Idea as to when or if any of those issues will be implemented is they are at the mercy of the developer who appears to only work on the apps when they feel like it.
Each time I contact the lead Authinx  WM100 rep I bring up those issues as well as a few others.
Doesn’t Authinx hold the checkbook?

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »

Indeed but little else by the sounds of it. On the other hand the manufacturer is holding them by the b@!!s

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »

Not entirely, this was a joint venture with the manufacture and the manufacture looked after the app developer.
Maybe if Authinx stated they can't sell any more units as the current apps sit, the manufacture would push the developer. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »

Not entirely, this was a joint venture with the manufacture and the manufacture looked after the app developer.
Maybe if Authinx stated they can't sell any more units as the current apps sit, the manufacture would push the developer. ::) :'

Or maybe if Authinx walked and explored some of the very fine concepts that have been discussed by some very knowledgeable and technically minded people here (you know who you are Jeff, et al) life might get easier for Authinx and X10 users.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.