Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: installing helper programs to pi for X10 integration  (Read 17492 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: installing helper programs to pi for X10 integration
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2018, 07:17:16 AM »

Did you install mochad prior to Domoticz?
I read somewhere it has to be installed prior or you'll have issues
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2018, 08:22:12 AM »

What's the output from dmesg and lsusb now.

interesting logs.   attached.

mike

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »

Did you install mochad prior to Domoticz?
I read somewhere it has to be installed prior or you'll have issues

Good question;  I recall seeing that also and doing so IN THE PAST...   Let me check my timeline.   

ooooooops.

back tot he drawing board....

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »

Mike I was at pains to mention that you get Mochad fully working on a vanilla Raspbian Stretch Lite prior to installing ANYTHING else. Mochad working means that it is actually functioning and the mochad.service has been created to ensure that it is running as a service daemon on boot.

You can't keep installing different versions of Mochad without first fully deleting the previous version. As you are building from source unless the author has created an uninstaller you physically have to remove every trace of the program manually. You are installing outside the aptitude manager so these processes need to be addressed manually.

I strongly suggest you start again and follow the clearly outlined steps to achieve a fully functioning X10 in Domoticz.

If you read back over my posts you'll see that I asked you a number of questions which you never replied to. This is the only way to truly troubleshoot the issues you are experiencing.

mike

« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2018, 06:56:21 PM »

It is a shame such an important program as  mochad cannot coexist well with other programs.  Of course since I need it I will start fresh and make mochad the FIRST thing installed.  Shame.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »

Actually mochad works fine it is the way Domoticz uses it that is causing the issue.
If you loaded just mochad as petera suggested on a clean Raspbian install with out Domoticz and played with it first you'd see how it performed. Adding everything at once and then testing only leads to issues which are hard to trouble shoot.
I had no issue using mochad with Domoticz while testing Domoticz operation, however for me HomeGenie was the better fit.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »

Mochad as stand alone, not thru domoticz, fails to function properly;  apparently it fails to install itself properly when installed on a pi with other programs installed before it.  ALL my last weeks worth of testing has been with just mochad functionality, not thru domoticz.

You can see from my previous post that I methodically added only ONE program at a time to my pi.  I learned early on that doing more than 1 thing at a time was not possible on the limited linux system.   That is why I always added only 1 program at a time and tested it to make sure it worked, made an image of the working system,  before going on to the next addition.  Mochad worked when installed, just failed to be consistent after reboots.

I have gone back to a fresh copy of just updated and upgraded pi.  I am going to add mochad FIRST and test, reboot, test, reboot for days before adding the next program.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2018, 07:37:32 PM »

Mike, it might be worth joining in the efforts to get the X10 Pi Hub project off the ground. You have proved that you are determined to stick with things till you get results and Homegenie will provide you with nearly everything that Domoticz does and maybe a bit more now that we have a collaboration underway.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2018, 08:05:10 PM »

Mochad as stand alone, not thru domoticz, fails to function properly;  apparently it fails to install itself properly when installed on a pi with other programs installed before it.  ALL my last weeks worth of testing has been with just mochad functionality, not thru domoticz.

You can see from my previous post that I methodically added only ONE program at a time to my pi.  I learned early on that doing more than 1 thing at a time was not possible on the limited linux system.   That is why I always added only 1 program at a time and tested it to make sure it worked, made an image of the working system,  before going on to the next addition.  Mochad worked when installed, just failed to be consistent after reboots.

I have gone back to a fresh copy of just updated and upgraded pi.  I am going to add mochad FIRST and test, reboot, test, reboot for days before adding the next program.

Mike, there seems to be some confusion over the Raspbian Lite version and the Raspbian Desktop version.

As I mentioned before, the Lite version and the Desktop version will will pull in any dependencies that are required via the package manager for any particular package you wish to install. It checks firstly to see if those dependencies are installed and will NOT install them if they are already present.

If you choose to compile a program and install it yourself outside the package manager the author will usually point out what dependencies are required to be installed in addition to the compiled program. What it will not do is check if those dependencies are already installed. Hence the instances of duplicate programs with different version numbers with your install.

It looks like you were compiling programs from links that didn't have clear installation instructions. Those links are usually aimed at proficient Linux users who know what they are after and don't need to ask the questions that you may need to ask.

I suggest you take each step slowly and thoroughly test it before moving on to the next one. It's Mochad first, Domoticz and then the RM Link. Again it's entirely up to yourself how you progress but using the method I mentioned will save you hours of hair pulling.

mike

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2018, 08:37:16 PM »

petera, you keep saying that I am doing things outside the norm, like compiling all kinds of different programs and mixing and matching incompatible programs.  I am not sure where those ideas came from.  I have never tried to install weird off the wall programs.  I have never tried to compile anything other than following detailed exact step by step how to's for installing mochad.  when ver 1.17 seemed bad I usually reimaged and started over, following again the exact steps to install ver 1.16.   so i am confused by your saying I am mixing and compiling different things.

yes, at the end here i did delete mochad-0.1.17 directory and reinstall mochad-0.1.16, then try again with 1.17  in utter desperation to make an errant program get along with others. 

I reimaged another new stretch lite 8gb SD card and I will install mochad first.  Since I ALWAYS do one thing at a time, I will continue and do so next again.  But this time I will leave mochad alone on the SD card and exercise it thru many reboots and testing for days before adding the next program.  I suspect it will not survive 2-3 days of exercises,  even alone on a pi.   If this proves the case, I will have no recourse but to scrap domoticz and go back to the kluge of HG & Habridge since it does not rely on the poorly executed mochad.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2018, 09:14:50 PM »

petera, you keep saying that I am doing things outside the norm, like compiling all kinds of different programs and mixing and matching incompatible programs.  I am not sure where those ideas came from.  I have never tried to install weird off the wall programs.  I have never tried to compile anything other than following detailed exact step by step how to's for installing mochad.  when ver 1.17 seemed bad I usually reimaged and started over, following again the exact steps to install ver 1.16.   so i am confused by your saying I am mixing and compiling different things.

yes, at the end here i did delete mochad-0.1.17 directory and reinstall mochad-0.1.16, then try again with 1.17  in utter desperation to make an errant program get along with others. 

I reimaged another new stretch lite 8gb SD card and I will install mochad first.  Since I ALWAYS do one thing at a time, I will continue and do so next again.  But this time I will leave mochad alone on the SD card and exercise it thru many reboots and testing for days before adding the next program.  I suspect it will not survive 2-3 days of exercises,  even alone on a pi.   If this proves the case, I will have no recourse but to scrap domoticz and go back to the kluge of HG & Habridge since it does not rely on the poorly executed mochad.

Mike I have Mochad working in five different home automation programs, all working fine. I set it up in Domoticz too so not sure why you think it's poorly executed.

Pulling in various versions of Python to try make a program work is only asking for trouble. Python is a whole different ball game. If a particular plugin does not work with the latest version of Python it's usually a sign that you will experience difficulties unless you are experienced in the Python environment.

I assumed you had cracked Mochad on the Raspberry Pi as you had gone ahead with Domoticz and installing the plugin for the RM Link. Again that was not the case.

You may decide to continue with Mochad/Domoticz/RM Link but you've spent a considerable amount of time and effort to get X10 up and running and the results are not ideal. Have you had any luck posting your queries on the Domoticz forum. Have you had any feedback from them. It's the best place for all things Domoticz.

Tuicemen and myself are going to give HomeGenie a crack for X10 on the Raspberry Pi. You may choose to join in with those efforts. You may find the results a bit more productive without all that effort involved with Domoticz. That's where I will be channelling all my efforts from here on in.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2018, 07:44:54 AM »

If this proves the case, I will have no recourse but to scrap domoticz and go back to the kluge of HG & Habridge since it does not rely on the poorly executed mochad.
There is always klug when your relying on different program talking to each other. but more when one relies on the other to work.
To be fair you never ( that I'm aware of)  tried HG on a PI or Donmonticz on Windows. When a software states something needs to be installed prior and you then remove and reinstall it, it would be like adding AHP to windows then Uninstalling and reinstalling windows your AHP will no longer work no mater how many times you reinstall Windows.(OK not the best example but I think you see my point)

Just like Domonticz you can get other programs to work with HomeGenie and you should be able to use the Broadlink software to work with HG.
I've not looked into that option but I may during HA Season which is fast approaching.
Remember I only just created the way for HG to talk to HA-Bridge and that was done for Alexa control the Broadlink control was just a bonus.
Since you don't want or need Alexa I'd suggest playing with adding the Broadlink software controller you found with HG if you decide to drop Domoticz and move on to something else.

The Idea behind the  PI X10 HUB image currently being worked on is to make for a easy setup of X10 on the Pi that stays working without the need for weekly tune ups.
I admire your persistence with Domoticz and Mochad and if you gave as much time to anyother project I'm sure it would be a benefit to all. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2018, 08:47:55 AM »

The theme of these endeavours was to get a credible alternative to controlling your X10 devices in light of the gaps left by X10 and all it's incarnations. The beauty of the open source philosophy is that there are so many alternatives out there you can switch to if you find that a particular solution you've chosen is too cumbersome to tailor to your needs.

Domoticz is a fine piece of work but when you start to go beyond the basics that's when you need help from the experts, the Domoticz experts. If I'm not mistaken there wouldn't be too many of them on the X10 forum. I may be wrong there of course.

What Tuicemen has formulated is a plan to build an X10 Hub along the lines of the WM100 but giving users the opportunity to provide input, suggestions and ideas on how we can proceed. He chose HomeGenie as there are a number of well seasoned experienced HomeGenie users already members on this forum.

It's by no means the "holy grail" of options out there but it looks like it might be the ideal choice for a collaborative effort. Personally I am using a heavily adapted version of Home Assistant that works for me. It might not be to everyone's taste. I do know of two users on this forum who are now up and running with it since I posted my install instructions. Those instructions may have helped them, or not but they are running X10 among other features now on it.

I am willing to assist in the X10 Pi Hub deploying HomeGenie and it would be good to see you come on board too so we could focus our efforts in one particular direction and achieve our goal.

mike

« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2018, 04:45:04 PM »

Pulling in various versions of Python to try make a program work is only asking for trouble.

I assumed you had cracked Mochad on the Raspberry Pi as you had gone ahead with Domoticz and installing the plugin for the RM Link. Again that was not the case.

Just for reference, I have NOT mixed and matched different versions of python...  Yes, I tried to install 3.6 and 3.7 ovr the course of this experimenting - in order to solve the fact that broadlink and its dependency python programs would just plain NOT install  on ver 3.5 -- OVER FULL GUI STRETCH.  THAT was the issue.  When I found the LITE stretch DID allow these pyhton programs to load with the LITE version 3.5, I moved on with that.  So please do not think I mixed and matched python versions;  the issue was broadlink and 3 other dependent python programs would NOT load into python 3.5 ON STRETCH FULL GUI.

As for cracking mochad, I too thought I had...  So I have come full circle yet again...   I made a fresh stretch LITE imaged card, rand update & upgrade on it.  I then used:

https://sigmdel.ca/michel/ha/domo/domo_08_en.html

to install mochad on this fresh card with no other programs installed.

YAE!  It ran --  for 3 minutes. 

nc localhost 1099   

saw  my RF CR12 presses.  great!

So went on to send:

echo "pl a1 on" | nc localhost 1099

YAE!  It echoed that back to me!!  but but but...  it did NOT send it thru the cm15...

OK, well a little fluke is ok now and then, right?  So I began pressing buttons on my CR12 remote...  my lites came on and off - but now the pi REPORTS NOTHING.  DOESnot see them anymore...

great. 

So know I KNOW mochad does NOT work on stretch lite for more than 3 minutes before locking up.   

This is IDENTICAL to what I see on my full domaticz/broadlink/mochad complete card. 

I now know for certain mochad 1.17 locks up by itself with no help from me.  It is NOT MY FAULT.  This python program has serious issues.

I am a glutten for punishment so tomorrow I will re image this card yet again and instead install mochad ver 1.16 and try again.  It has been said by others that mochad 1.17 sometimes locks up and no one has any clue why...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »

I'd try this solution on a vanilla version of Raspbian Stretch Lite https://sourceforge.net/p/mochad/discussion/1320003/thread/f37816aa/

Again don't forget to add the extra wait into the nc command

echo "st" | nc -w1 localhost 1099

RF remotes have been known to lock up Mochad. Use the PL commands only and see if you can maintain Mochad functionality..

Finally as a test remove your X10 sensors from your setup and again see of you can maintain Mochad functionality.

Try each step individually so you can rules them out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:42:48 PM by petera »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.