Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

So are you a power user?

Most definately! If trying to get the most out of X10 makes me a power user then YES
- 20 (87%)
No I only use a few device & I never want to do any more.
- 1 (4.3%)
No simple lights control is all I want or need
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: X10 user unite!  (Read 5727 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: X10 user unite!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 12:34:26 PM »

Then I think a revised XTB-232 is still the best bet.

Obviously, I don't disagree.  But the problem is who will take over production after the prototypes are built...

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »

But the problem is who will take over production after the prototypes are built...

I fear my age and health preclude my hands-on involvement beyond proof-of-concept on a breadboard.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »

My x10 setup today goes from Alexa -> HA Bridge -> x10 Commander ->  CM15A -> x10 device.

So we can say Alexa, turn on the stuff and she clicks on a warm amp in the corner then the faux fireplace.
Alexa turn everything off does so on our way to bed.

etc..

The remotes are in the drawers around the house, somewhere.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »

Have you tried the Alexa "Routines"? We say "Alexa Good Night" and she returns something like "Good night, sleep tight" (it varies) then triggers our "go to sleep" event to turn out the lights, etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »

Have you tried the Alexa "Routines"? We say "Alexa Good Night" and she returns something like "Good night, sleep tight" (it varies) then triggers our "go to sleep" event to turn out the lights, etc.

Or does a few blue circle laps of the puck and does nothing  :) What then....a few laps of the house in the dark trying to remember where you mounted those damn rocker switches  rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 08:22:58 PM »

Yep, you pretty much nailed it.  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »

I say "Alexa bedtime" and then:
(Using the Broadlink IR device)…. Alexa turns off both the TV and the Cable Box on the upstairs TV.
(Using the Homeseer little Hometroller) sends an X10 Command, which in turn triggers a macro on a (2nd) CM15A... causing a small light to light for 3 minutes.
(Using the Wink Hub) turns Off the lamp beside my easy-chair.
Also in the routines..... any light on in the kitchen turns off (they require no hub).

This brings a nice end to my normal evening routine..... and provides me with a little light for long enough to get to bed. There would be different and simpler ways to do this. But part of this (at least originally) was an experiment in integration of these various flavors of automation. This... experiment.. has been an enormous success.

Am I a "power user"? Maybe... yeah... I'd guess that term might fit.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:14:08 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »

(Using the Broadlink IR device)…. Alexa turns off both the TV and the Cable Box on the upstairs TV.
(Using the Homeseer little Hometroller) sends an X10 Command, which in turn triggers a macro on a (2nd) CM15A... causing a small light to light for 3 minutes.
Also in the routines..... any light on in the kitchen turns off (they require no hub).

I do something similar by tapping 4 OFF on a convenient PalmPad.  The Ocelot handles the rest.  No cloud or hub is involved.  Of course, it doesn't tell me to have a good night sleep, but I can do without that. ;D

Jeff

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 10:53:19 AM »

I do something similar by tapping 4 OFF on a convenient PalmPad.  The Ocelot handles the rest.  No cloud or hub is involved.  Of course, it doesn't tell me to have a good night sleep, but I can do without that. ;D

There is NO wrong way to do this stuff! And there are minor advantages to not being dependent on larger infrastructures. Heck.... I am old enough to remember when most people kept a wind-up alarm clock (even if they normally depended on a radio alarm). Because... you know... power failures. I myself kept a "travel alarm" in the nightstand drawer at one time.

And because I run a standalone CM15A... I could put a Palmpad in my end stand drawer (I still have a Palmpad "compartment" I installed in the drawer). But I don't feel the need.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »

Jeff

Same here. Created a virtual on/off switch device which when activated triggers numerous x10 events. Say one for evening mode, lights on downstairs with dim and heating on and one for bedtime, lights off downstairs, lights on upstairs and heating off.

Guess what!!!! All achieved with no cloud except for the cumulus humilus I stare at in the loft on the way to sleep.

Btw wtf is a power user. Is that a user of power. If that's the case we're all power users   >!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »

Btw wtf is a power user. Is that a user of power. If that's the case we're all power users   >!
Does that include Tuicemen at his off-grid country estate?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »

Btw wtf is a power user
I put the exact question to Authinix as they always throw that back saying the power user market is to small to cater to. ::) :'
Does that include Tuicemen at his off-grid country estate?

I still use power there, just my own created supply rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »

I put the exact question to Authinix as they always throw that back saying the power user market is to small to cater to. ::) :'

I imagine most of the iPhone generation is happy with the WM100 just turning their phone into a PalmPad.

Jeff

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 02:22:04 PM »

I imagine most of the iPhone generation is happy with the WM100 just turning their phone into a PalmPad.

Jeff
I suspect your right but a Palm pad can control all 256 devices with a simple turn of a code wheel so it isn't limited to 32 devices.
I suspect the smart phone user is going to eventually turn into a "X10 power user" or want to. Many now want more then the apps are supplying.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 02:31:35 PM »

Btw wtf is a power user

I put the exact question to Authinix as they always throw that back saying the power user market is to small to cater to.

Back before I retired.... on the network at work... we had "Power Users". A genuine network user term. Usually they were people that knew their way around computers and the network (often times engineers). They often used a lot of bandwidth and always found reasons to request extra permissions and group memberships. They were helpful as they required little one-on-one attention.... and dangerous because of the destruction they could cause. They were given wide berth... and monitored

I'd bet.... it was the X10 power users that enticed X10 to create the more advanced X10 products... like the computer assisted CM11 and CM15A with an on-line automation benefit as well.

(Just like with video gaming)... the serious automation users wanted the expanded capabilities of on-line usage. This.... these power users... drove and helped to advance the technology exponentially. Although the tech is great... the speed in which it advanced may have stressed X10's ability to advance with it. Now even most of X10's longtime users can't wrap their heads around or accept cloud computing and AI automation (not that they should). AI may be where we stall at for a while. Or more likely... where we make a "generational paradigm shift". 

Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.