Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

So are you a power user?

Most definately! If trying to get the most out of X10 makes me a power user then YES
- 20 (87%)
No I only use a few device & I never want to do any more.
- 1 (4.3%)
No simple lights control is all I want or need
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: X10 user unite!  (Read 5679 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X10 user unite!
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »

I imagine most of the iPhone generation is happy with the WM100 just turning their phone into a PalmPad.

Jeff

I don't know about that. I'd heard that the typical iPhone user is middle aged woman. Which would explain my wife.... but not my son, or my 92 year old mother. I think the WM-100 is a great remote. But.... I don't want remote control. I want automation. And the best automation is the result of a collaborative effort of software, hardware, and online presence.... including AI.

I think the idea of controlling lights... like changing TV channels... using a (modern) clicker.... is a bit outdated. I think people want helpful suggestions from their automation now-a-days. What was imagined just a few years ago... is todays reality. I don't believe there is any age limits on reality. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »

But.... I don't want remote control. I want automation.

Spoken like a true POWER USER. ;)

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 06:48:15 PM »

Spoken like a true POWER USER. ;)

Jeff

Thank you.... I think. Home Automation is a hobby... and a bit of a passionate lifestyle for me. Sure I really do use and enjoy my automation (it isn't just to show-off). That period of time after the holidays.... and before grass mowing (and cycling) begins in the spring... is what I call Home Automation Season. But honestly I am always working on my setup. Researching, reading, watching associated YouTube videos... and planning my next venture.

I feel blessed to be able to take advantage of some of this... newest golden age of Home Automation. It's a great time to be alive!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »

Sure I really do use and enjoy my automation (it isn't just to show-off).

(It was meant as a compliment.)  My wife is happy to just hit a button on a remote when she wants something to happen, but she lets me know if something doesn't come on when scheduled.  Of course, that almost never happens anymore after replacing most incandescent bulbs with CFL or LED.

I did set up Alexa to control X10, and it was pretty neat to demonstrate that capability to others.  But for ourselves just pushing the little white button is more convenient and faster.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »

….. My wife is happy to just hit a button on a remote when she wants something to happen.....
.....I did set up Alexa to control X10, and it was pretty neat to demonstrate that capability to others.  But for ourselves just pushing the little white button is more convenient and faster.

Jeff

My wife wasn't thrilled at making the transformation to voice command (or even home automation at first) either. But... I first began using [MS SAPI5 based] voice command with BVC more than a decade ago. So she's had plenty of time to adapt. WAF... used to be something we mentioned more often in these forums.

One of the great features of Amazon's Alexa is the internet phone calling. Anyone... trapped, injured, or just not motivated to get up can just yell out for Alexa to call [anyone in the address book]. And then speak to them through the Echo device. My 4 Echo devices.... and whole house [prime] music was a big sell.... but the extra safety perk of emergency calling... was a big deal too.

I myself... am a real change agent. I actively LOOK for means and ways to change and progress. I don't expect the "process" of changing to be easy or effortless. But I do expect change and growth to be worthwhile. And for the mostpart it is. Not every effort pays off... but many do. Home Automation has been a great change in my life that I truely enjoy and advocate for as well.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:22:51 PM by HA Dave »

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »

My wife thought I was a weirdo when I came into our relationship with X10 devices. I had been using them for 20 years and she thought I was nuts replacing switches, etc in our new shared apartment.

Didn't take her long to realize the joy of never coming home to a dark place and the ability to turn off the lights from her bedside at night.

Fast forward another 20+ years and she is the one that has the mini controller by her bedside to turn off the bedroom lights since she goes to bed first. And, she will be the one to say "hey, the den light didn't come on tonight!" etc

I dunno, maybe they're easier to train than we thought ;-)

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 01:12:45 PM »

In the mid-80's after dinner with my new girlfriend I invited her back to my place to have some wine in the hot tub.  :' I used my car phone (the size of a shoebox) to call my BSR TR-270 to turn it on and heat it up.  It must have impressed her since we've been married for 31 years!  She loves HA and even though she rolls her eyes at some of things I do, she'll be the first to complain when it doesn't work.
 Our 'goodnight' routine is triggered by setting the alarm either by button or Alexa.  The Stargate sees the 'armed stay' status and turns off the lights and adjusts the t-stats.  'Armed away' triggers a different macro that includes shutting off the whole house water valve after 1 hour (in case the washer or dishwasher is running when we leave).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »

She loves HA and even though she rolls her eyes at some of things I do, she'll be the first to complain when it doesn't work.

That pretty much describes my wife also. I remember back in the early '90s I was using an Enerlogic 1400 for automation.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eXtrmPzKrwcC&pg=PA56&lpg=PA56&dq=Enerlogic+1400&source=bl&ots=QrO9ljPoWK&sig=0D-3Tu3i7Iq2s9V208_zV8l-Xmc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIjO79v9LeAhUDPq0KHcJrBrwQ6AEwAHoECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=Enerlogic%201400&f=false

Many times a command would be missed, maybe because of intermittent noise, and I would hear about it "Why can't we use a light switch like normal people?". But the Enerlogic blew a chip during a hardware hack, and it took me a couple of weeks to get the replacement. After week one, the daily conversation included "When is the house going to be fixed."  :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 11:55:28 PM »

…………  Our 'goodnight' routine is triggered by setting the alarm either by button or Alexa. ..

I've Been thinking about this... since I read it the other day.

I've been working on integration... with various protocols, hubs, etc.. But always with the "triggering component' being automated or with Alexa used as the "trigger". But I really like the idea of having more than one path to the desired automated event.

So today... I setup a spare theater remote (a Harmony 650) to control all the audio/video functions of my home theater.... but left the lighting control to either an X10 Palmpad…. or Alexa.

Then I started thinking.... if I order me a 2nd Broadlink Pro I could I could voice control the Theater setup shutdown(s) using Alexa, the Broadlink, and routines.

Now.... I am wondering... could do some 1 button X10 macros to run the setups/shutdowns. I do own a VCR commander. Thank You brobin… I like the idea of alternate ways to accomplish HA tasks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:57:54 PM by HA Dave »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.