Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Linux Automation Software  (Read 2514 times)

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Linux Automation Software
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:00 AM »

I am not by any means a Linux guru. I am trying and learning. But am far away as of now.

I am looking for something that I can use to automate my home like AHP that has a GUI interface. Is there something? I am running Linux Cinnamon.

I have the CM15A and am using it with Windows and it works great. I would like to switch to my Linux box as eventually everything will be running on Linux in my home. Tv, Radio, Music, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Linux Automation Software
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 11:10:54 AM »

The easiest Linux X10 software I've found to setup for X10 is HomeGenie.
http://www.homegenie.it/
The interface is via a webpage in your browser but I believe all Linux X10 software is setup like that now.
This doesn't have the most extensive addons available but it does more then AHP.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »

I run HG but have considered Domoticz and HomeAssistant.

https://www.domoticz.com
https://www.home-assistant.io

There are people on this forum who have/are running all 3 of these on RPi units.  When the season changes, I will also be reevaluating the later two.  HG runs fine, so these others have big shoes to fill!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:01:44 PM »

I've tried both Domoticz and Home-Assistant neither setup as smoothly as HG.
As for running X10 they do work but I never stuck with them and returned to Homegenie.
Everything I tried was on a PI not a desktop but Linux is Linux no mater the flavor.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

b0b99

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 08:50:44 AM »

I found the Domoticz setup very easy. Their home page contains step by step instructions (just copy and paste) for installing the software. Their wiki even links to an easy setup for getting the Raspbian image on the SD card. The Blockly GUI in Domoticz is similar to the GUI in Active Home Pro and works under the covers with Mochad (again installation instructions are on the Domoticz web site). You do not have to enter any Mochad commands, it is handled by Blockly. I tried Homegenie but did not like having to deal with scripts and was looking for something similar to the Active Home Pro interface. Blockly has filled this need and I have had Domoticz running for months with no problems. One of the things I wanted was text notification of when my garage door opened or closed, this was very easy to implement in Blockly using an X10 door/window sensor (I use the CM15a with Domoticz). I also use dummy switches to control conditions although user variables could be used as well. you can see examples of Blockly being used with X10 devices on the Domoticz web site. https://www.domoticz.com/

Bob

LostDog88

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 04:01:15 PM »

I have not found this installation to be any thing near easy. I know I am a noob...but holy cow... B:( B:( B:(

5 hours now and I am to a point where domoticz won't see my software hardware. It states in the manual it should detect it automagically.

It don't.

Ugh.....
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:10:18 PM by LostDog88 »

LostDog88

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 06:01:45 PM »

I managed to get HG installed and working.

On my smart phone as well. Working on voice integration. I get an error.

And three sensors that don't respond to HG. They change status when the remote is used, but the software won't turn them off or on.
Gonna have to look around the board see to see if I can fix that as well.

Thanks y'all.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.