Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turning appliance module on with a Switch (HomeGenie)  (Read 1930 times)

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Turning appliance module on with a Switch (HomeGenie)
« on: October 23, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »

So....This HA thing is turning out pretty awesome. I even have control over my garage and RV's now! LOL.

However, I am trying to figure out how to turn on A9 With A Switch that is on A8 by using Scenes. I cannot get the capture for the switch to work as it doesn't look like anything is sent to the CM15a as I watch the data come through.

I was able to make it all turn on and off with one button on the remote. That's kinda kool. But I would like to have the same thing happen when I push the X10 WS12a Switch on the wall.

Thanks in advance for the help!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Turning appliance module on with a Switch (HomeGenie)
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:24 PM »

But I would like to have the same thing happen when I push the X10 WS12a Switch on the wall.
The WS12A does not transmit it's status when switched, so can't be used to trigger other X10 devices. AFAIK X10 does not make ANY wire-in wall switches that both feeds a light fixture and transmits status.
SmartHome did, and maybe still does but I do not have model information.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »

Sadly, the old Smartlincs have long been discontinued. I still use a couple but they're getting flaky now.

LostDog88

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 11:07:53 PM »

Well Crap.

I guess a stick on switch next to the light just in case she wants to turn it on that way.

:-(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:37:32 AM »

I believe the Smarthome Insteon switches can still have an X10 Primary Address programmed into them.
Though they has dropped X10 support from the sales pages. Some do.

One other point. Smarthome chose a different X10 protocol for dimming. They used the preset Dim and standard Dim.
X10 used extended code Direct Dim and standard Dim commands. So they may not act exactly the same.
Like I do a status request and get a %Dim level from a module.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »

You have limited options for turning on a module (A9) from another device (A8).  As others have said, if you are using standard X10 switch modules, they don't send a PLC instruction when toggled.  I have a few options that I have used to consider.

XPT - in wall transmitter.  You can install it in a standard light switch box and depending on the cover have up to 4 addresses that you can send on/off or dim commands for.

Smart Home Toggle Linc - in wall switch that looks like a standard toggle switch.  These will send X10 commands (if they still have the X10 address included in their firmware) when you toggle them on/off.  I use one of these exclusively to send the X10 command that I have my HA software infer what to do (turn a light on, turn it on and set a timer, etc).  There are also Switch Linc versions that use the decora style plate

Stick-A-Switch - RF version of the XPT option.  Will send an RF signal for whatever address.  If you have good RF coverage, this is a good option but may not look the greatest depending on your decor.

X10 mini controller - you could have a mini (or maxi) controller located where you want your switch and send the command manually.  Not a great option for having guests understand how to use it.

Motion sensors - obviously, instead of having a switch you could just use a motion sensor module or motion sensor integrated light.

LostDog88

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »

The more that I think about this the more I think:

There has to be a way to monitor the position of the switch (widget) in HG and then toggle another switch based on that movement.

But I suck at code. And feel it would take me years to understand it.

But can't you go in scenes, write some code to monitor that widget and then based on it's condition change another switch (widget even?)?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »

HomeGenie has a macro wizard, try your hand at that. It basically copies module clicks and writes the script for you.
you can also get more info on it from the HG scenarios section of the get started  page.
https://genielabs.github.io/HomeGenie/#/docs/scenarios
This still will not see the status of a switch that has been manually turned on or off as the switch it's self sends no X10 code.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »

The only way for the program to know if a switch has been turned off manually is if the switch also transmits it's activity or status. That's why the SwitchLinc's were so nice.  I have one in a bathroom and when it's turned on or off the keypad button by the door lights or goes off to follow the switch.  You could search ebay for a Switchlinc 2380, Here's the manual: https://goo.gl/T2TWZB

I think you can do the same with the older older Switchlinc Insteon switches as well as they're X10 compatible - and easier to find!

brobin

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »

There's a Switchlinc 2380 on ebay right now - grab it!  See: https://goo.gl/4QNvcW

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 06:57:49 PM »

The 2477D Insteon Dimmer Switch (aka SwitchLinc) currently being shipped still supports X10 (even though the owner's manual doesn't mention support for X10).  They were recently on sale (30% off).  Not a good idea to buy an old (used) 2380 SwitchLinc on eBay IMHO.  The 2477D has gone through many many revisions over the years and is a vastly superior product compared to the old 2380.   

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »

The 2477D Insteon Dimmer Switch (aka SwitchLinc) currently being shipped still supports X10 (even though the owner's manual doesn't mention support for X10).  They were recently on sale (30% off).  Not a good idea to buy an old (used) 2380 SwitchLinc on eBay IMHO.  The 2477D has gone through many many revisions over the years and is a vastly superior product compared to the old 2380.
The ToggleLinc relay (non-dimming) switches I got from Amazon a few months ago still support X10 addresses, too.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.