Yes
- 12 (80%)
no
- 0 (0%)
don't care either way or I already have X10 control on my Pi
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Your thoughts on a X10 PI Hub  (Read 13969 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Your thoughts on a X10 PI Hub
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2018, 10:35:52 AM »

Thanks all for the info! I am still confused a bit. In searching the web for OTG USB adapters they seem to be specific to particular phones etc. Can the one for the Rpi be any OTG USB or does it need to be specific to the Pi zero?
The one I bought was a short cable {6"} with the connectors on it. I think it was listed as for some cell phones but is fine on my Pi Zero. Should not have be brand specified. Some I have seen just called it an OTG adapter. Some where a short cable others where like the above linked one.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:47:29 AM by Brian H »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »

On the CM15A.
I found a short cable {~1' long} that has a USB B connector to connect to the CM15A and a 90 degree Left Angle OTG micro USB connector on the other end for the Pi Zero W.
Also came in a right 90 degree version but that would have the cable in front of the power jack..
I use a 6 inch USB A to USB B cable for my connection to the cm15 along with a OTG adaptor.
 I was unable to find a short cable with the OTG to USB B ends. Do you have a link or was it found at a local computer shop.

The proximity of the Pi to the CM15 shouldn't cause a issue as my Pi is directly inside the CM15 case.

https://amzn.to/2S3xpcT   for the micro USB directly into the CM15a USB port. They're on eBay too.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2018, 11:37:08 PM »

Sure when your not looking there are all kinds rofl
I may have been looking for white specific at the time ::) :'
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 08:55:54 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2018, 12:14:46 AM »

Thanks all for the info! I am still confused a bit. In searching the web for OTG USB adapters they seem to be specific to particular phones etc. Can the one for the Rpi be any OTG USB or does it need to be specific to the Pi zero?

Any one will do. Just search OTG adapter on Amazon. If you're looking for a well priced ($27 delivered) starter kit this has it all and then some. I've been recommending this one that I bought: https://amzn.to/2GkcEZd
You can add a 16GB micro SD card for $4 https://amzn.to/2Ep4qML

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »

Thanks brobin. That sounds like the way to go! :)%

Dave Mc

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2018, 09:12:56 AM »

Here is another Thank You to brobin.  I saw the same one on Amazon and a similar one from CanaKit, and trying to decide what do I actually need.  For me and I think others new to PI it makes sense to buy a kit.  I might have some of the needed items around the house but it is just easier to buy a kit.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2018, 09:18:17 AM »

I might have some of the needed items around the house but it is just easier to buy a kit.
I agree most newbie to the world of pi should get a kit, unless you love to tinker.
 If you want a second or third Pi then you can go the single parts route and just get a board.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »

I agree. I kit is a good way to start. If you have nothing now. A case is nice to hold the Pi Zero W and you may need the Mini HDMI to HDMI adapter or cable. In the future.

I did find one thing out about the Official Raspberry Pi Zero Case. There is no access slot to install or remove the SD card. It has to be unsnapped from the case to get at the SD Card Slot. Not a big deal but mine is a tight snap and I don't want to damage the Pi removing it. Other brands maybe the same.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »

I did find one thing out about the Official Raspberry Pi Zero Case. There is no access slot to install or remove the SD card. It has to be unsnapped from the case to get at the SD Card Slot. Not a big deal but mine is a tight snap and I don't want to damage the Pi removing it. Other brands maybe the same.
I didn't realize that as I mounted one in a cm15 and another in a ds10a case.
I suppose you could always cut a slot in the case with a Dremel tool or drill and file.
Easy access to the SD card is realy required for so many reasons.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2018, 11:15:45 AM »

I suppose you could always cut a slot in the case with a Dremel tool or drill and file.
Easy access to the SD card is realy required for so many reasons.

The CM15Pro being a little different design wise to the CM15a allowed me to pop the Zero into the battery compartment with a little remodelling. All shut away now. Just want to test wireless signal a little more and that will be an ideal hub set up.

brobin

« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2018, 02:11:36 PM »

Easy access to the SD card is really required for so many reasons.

UPDATE: The Vilros case opens easily but does NOT have an external slot for the SD card. Another case I use is the Zebra Zero case https://amzn.to/2PK4OHM which is a "sandwich case and the micro SD card is easily removed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:49:19 PM by brobin »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »

Seeing the flickering LED is a plus.
When you shutdown it must be writing something to the SD card. I found on my Pi 3B and the Pi Zero W. Not removing the power until the LED stops flashing, is what I do.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »

Seeing the flickering LED is a plus.
That is so true. I have to remove my CM15A battery cover in order to see the light.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »

NOTE: I updated my previous post about the Vilroy case. It DOES require opening to change the card. I was thinking about another case I have from Zebra that is different. https://amzn.to/2PK4OHM

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2018, 06:45:28 PM »

The black case I bought for my RPi3 had pictures that made it look like I could see the LED's, but that was not correct.  I had to use a 1/4" drill to open a hole to be able to view the indicators.  How can you make a solid case without making the LED's visible!? 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.