Yes
- 12 (80%)
no
- 0 (0%)
don't care either way or I already have X10 control on my Pi
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Your thoughts on a X10 PI Hub  (Read 13960 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Your thoughts on a X10 PI Hub
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »

I don't have my Cm19 at may off grid place so I'm unable to test.
if it fails we might be able to get Gene to add it as he seems to be back working on improving things.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »

I'm looking forward to HA season this year.
........ hopefully I didn't jump the gun! ::) :'

You're fine! I am such a busy person... with all my "interests" (AKA hobby's). I'd never be able to keep up... if I also had a job of some kind.

Since last winter/spring I've been in the RE-imagining or re-inventing process of my Home Automation setup. Even though I've always be a true agent of change myself... the pace of new product development at this time is staggering.

As an example.... while looking at new alarm systems... I find products that allow for cameras to function as  motion sensors (indoors and outdoors). Then... using phones geo-locations (we'd thought of phones for occupancy sensing years ago) to determine if the motion is allowable or not. Then send a picture and alert if desirable.
The new ideas, products, and available tech.... create almost endless possiablities. I find it almost an effort to imagine which direction/technology would provide the most desireable lifestyle/result. Whereas... I was thinking RFID or maybe a keypad... now I am thinking phone and voice based.

Decades ago... I had ran doorbell wire to every window and door in the house (I owned then) when I installed my radioshack alarm. Today... in this house.... I am now removing wiring no longer needed or used. I moved my "garage door open alert" to the cloud yesterday.

I know the cloud (or video streaming) isn't for everyone, everwhere. But for 75-80% of American's (like me).... it's a game changer. But sometimes.... I also wonder if I am jumping the gun, myself.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:39:00 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »

I know the cloud (or video streaming) isn't for everyone, everywhere. But for 75-80% of American's (like me).... it's a game changer. But sometimes.... I also wonder if I am jumping the gun, myself.

I think you'll find this article interesting: https://technode.com/2018/07/02/iot-security-privacy/

My biggest concern with cloud based services isn't that someone's going to surreptitiously view a camera, turn on a light or even listen to my conversations but that cheap, rushed to market IOT devices could either contain a malware payload or have a vulnerability that can be exploited as a gateway into a PC or mobile device that can access account and password info.  While companies like Amazon and Google can probably be trusted to employ state-of-the-art practices to guard against that, lets not forget that the nameless/faceless Chinese companies maintaining IOT servers operate at the whim and direction of the Chinese government who perhaps have values and motivations that are not aligned with our own. 

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »

I don't have my Cm19 at may off grid place so I'm unable to test.
if it fails we might be able to get Gene to add it as he seems to be back working on improving things.

No joy as I thought.Works in Mochad as it should. I asked Gene if he'd modify the XtenLib to cater for the CM19. The fact that the CM19 doesn't require an additional power outlet and is RF based should appeal to this project.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 01:39:08 PM »

No joy as I thought.Works in Mochad as it should. I asked Gene if he'd modify the XtenLib to cater for the CM19. The fact that the CM19 doesn't require an additional power outlet and is RF based should appeal to this project.
I seen that on GitHub. :(
The possibility of using the CM19 with this would be appealing to users that got the CM19 with their AHP kit instead of the CM15.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:25:47 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »

I hope to see support added to HG for the cm19 fairly soon as Gene has stated he ordered one to work out any issues.
I have a initial downloadable image for a 4 gig or larger sd card which is under 800kb in size on my server now.
Testing is ongoing but this comes with HG and Ha-Bridge already installed as boots directly to the Pi setup page to enter your timezone and other pertanant info.
Once that is done you just open a web brower on any device and point it to the IP address the Pi X10Hub reports and your up and running (provided you had already connected the CM15 or CM11 to the pi).
There is no need to type anything into a command line (terminal window) so no need to learn Linux which so many are afraid of.
I'm told this can't be made any simpler the longest task is waiting for the download and burning the image. ::) :'
However the goal is for everyone testing to be 100% satisfied this can't get any simpler, currently I believe it can still be improved on and the download made smaller.  >!
I hope to have a RC build ready before this Christmas so pick up your inexpensive Pi Zero W while supply lasts. rofl

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »

Ive been testing Genes work on code for the Cm19. It is coming along very well as it can send and recieve standard on/ off x10 rf and see x10 security door/window sensors. :)%  lt is looking very promising that the cm19 will be supported by HomeGenie before the new year. Some tests have been done with this x10hub image and other pi modles with some success users are able to get things working on a 3b  it also I'm told works on a Pi b+ but is slow. I have the downloadable SD image down to under 700mg  but I don't expect it to get any smaller now.. I may offer the option to ship SD cards if there is enough interest.in that.
 >!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:16:35 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 11:12:18 AM »

I haven't tried as I don't have TM751 installed, but can the CM15 perform send RF?  I know that's how the CM19 works exclusively, but the CM15 should be able to do that as well (just never tested).  If not currently, will that be added to the CM15 when CM19 is added?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »

I've asked that of Gene but not got an answer back on it.
Currently I use the Broadlink rm for x10 RF as it will do the security RF as well.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »

The Pi X10Hub project is coming along very nicely.
Although this will do more then the WM100 ever will be capable of doing it still doesn't have the PLC punch of the WM100 as it uses the  old X10 interfaces.
My hope is Authinix updates the CM15A with a stronger PLC, However with added CM19 support coming and the use of the newer PAT03 you'll get that PLC punch. :)%
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 06:09:38 AM »

Currently I use the Broadlink rm for x10 RF as it will do the security RF as well.

The Security RF features aren't helpful to me now. I've switched to a new security/alarm system. Although.... I like the idea of being able to add X10 modules/switches if my Homeseer was to fail. All I've ever used my Broadlink RM Pro for.... is a minimal bit of TV cable control. But I like it!

The Pi X10Hub project is coming along very nicely.

I like the idea of a true X10 Hub.

But... after finally getting geofencing as part of my automation setup.... I am now anxiously looking at adding geolocation features. A little (credit card sized computer) Pi could be perfect for the newer technologies. But I think such usefulness.... or exploitation of available technologies... mandates the use of staff AND servers. We'll still need things like.... well a Amazon "skill" and maybe some similar integration with other automation Hubs.

It's amazing what you guys are accomplishing. But we really do need X10 to buy-in on this.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »

The Pi X10Hub has the ability for Alexa control built in with HA-Bridge no skill required.
Several sample backups are included to show one what is possible. even a simple one showing X10 control of 3 or 4 devices

The HomeGenie API allows for intergration of other things like IFTT, SmartThings,and other Cloud services if that's your thing.
However it isn't required and the only thing the internet is actualy required for is maintaining the clock as there is no RTC unless you add one your self and that is certainly do able. You the end user looks after what goes on your PI just like you look after what gets put on your Phone no staff required. The Hub is a server which can connect to any server you wish it to.
This thing supports Hue devices, Zwave devices, and many others. X10 is just what we are focusing on with a simple initial setup like AHP had for X10 samples.

I really don't know why you think Authinx needs to buy-in on this. ??? Although the owner is very interested and supplied me with a few CM15As for this so I guess maybe they have already bought in on this. ::) :'

Truth be told, it was you Dave, and your attempts to setup a Pi that inspired me to work with a Pi. Sure others did encourage me to do the Pi X10Hub image for the community but  I already had a working Pi X10Hub of my own.

Being open source we the X10 community are not stuck waiting on a developer from China to get the things added we want and need with this thing. This will grow with its capabilities faster then even AHP did.
The possibilities really are endless with the software in this image. ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »

The Pi X10Hub has the ability for Alexa control built in with HA-Bridge no skill required.
Several sample backups are included to show one what is possible. even a simple one showing X10 control of 3 or 4 devices

The HomeGenie API allows for intergration of other things like IFTT, SmartThings,and other Cloud services if that's your thing.
However it isn't required and the only thing the internet is actualy required for is maintaining the clock as there is no RTC unless you add one your self and that is certainly do able. You the end user looks after what goes on your PI just like you look after what gets put on your Phone no staff required. The Hub is a server which can connect to any server you wish it to.
This thing supports Hue devices, Zwave devices, and many others. X10 is just what we are focusing on with a simple initial setup like AHP had for X10 samples.

I really don't know why you think Authinx needs to buy-in on this. ??? Although the owner is very interested and supplied me with a few CM15As for this so I guess maybe they have already bought in on this. ::) :'

Truth be told, it was you Dave, and your attempts to setup a Pi that inspired me to work with a Pi. Sure others did encourage me to do the Pi X10Hub image for the community but  I already had a working Pi X10Hub of my own.

Being open source we the X10 community are not stuck waiting on a developer from China to get the things added we want and need with this thing. This will grow with its capabilities faster then even AHP did.
The possibilities really are endless with the software in this image. ;)
 >!

As Tuicemen states here's the RTC module that snaps into the GPIO pins on all Raspberry Pi models. No wiring or soldering skills required for the ultimate autonomy https://thepihut.com/products/mini-rtc-module-for-raspberry-pi?variant=758601217

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »

I expect to have a RC build of the Pi-X10Hub ready to night.
Although it will still only be available to beta testers I'm willing to add more testers to the group.
You don't need a Pi Zero W for this image now it should work with any model however older models may perform a bit slower.
If your at all interested in seeing this proceed and would like to have a say in how this progresses join the test group with a PM to me.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 06:59:53 PM »

Well with the Pi Zero W. You will have to solder the GPIO connector on to it. To use the RTC module.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.