Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW Alexa devices and advancements  (Read 1822 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
NEW Alexa devices and advancements
« on: November 05, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »

Although most people tend to think of these Amazon and google devices as merely big cylinders, and/or hockey puck sized devices.  Amazon (and google) are always advancing their software and devices. With Amazon offering 2 different devices that have [built-in] screens, and standard devices now in the 3rd generation. I recently PRE-ordered the Alexa "mobile device" (designed for cars). BTW.... Google offers a great looking screened device as well.

And now... I read that Amazon is introducing an "input" device (with no speaker of it's own)… pictured with a house key below. The new Echo Input.... is just a discreet tiny microphone.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:00:43 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: NEW Alexa devices and advancements
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:12:23 AM »

I see no advantage of this discrete  mic over a dot. Andthe price of this also is to high as far as I'm concerned. As for other advancements I attempted a scheduled reminder for 5 am for this week yesterday afternoon it alwayssaved as 2 am 4 am saved as 1 am  B:( 6 am worked.  This morning I attempted this again and it worked so Amazon is on top of sofware issues :)%
To bad the current WM100 developer is lacking in basic programing skills taking months to even attempt a fix and still not getting it right. >*<
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »

I see no advantage of this discrete mic over a dot.

The advantages are limited. I know many people have a hardwire audio system already installed in their home... often at great expense. I can only guess... that most audiophiles cringe at the idea of a tiny speaker. At least this hides away nicely. AND.... with the use of one of those power sensing/switching power bars.... the microphone could not work unless the [normal] receiver/amp was turned on. So Jeff Bezos wouldn't be able to listen in when the stereo was OFF... and the music would cover the users words when ON.

To bad the current WM100 developer is lacking in basic programing skills taking months to even attempt a fix and still not getting it right. >*<

Perfection is the enemy of progress. Even a nearly useless piece of automation... is better than no devices at all. BOTH the WM-100 and the Input Echo... may fall into the same category of usefulness. I can tolerate less-than-perfect. No progress... is what is hard for me. I like new projects! I am always looking for new ideas and devices... that enable new automation.

I just finished reorganizing my Man-Cave (from the re-do a few weeks ago). That was my home office for years... where my Kate16 lived (in a old win98 machine upgraded to XP)… and then in XP laptop. Now... everything is tucked away... except the pile of cords give away extra power usage (and looks awful... I must fix that). I adapted the "tiny home concept" of unfolding, moving, and double usage..... trying to get more out of the small space.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:10:42 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »

And.… drumroll please..... the Alexa operated microwave:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07894S727?ref_=pe_4942800_371012580_em_img2_aucc_sr_street

For years now I've saved myself a little time and effort when microwaving by pushing 55 (instead of 60) or 33 (instead of 30 seconds). I am sure the accumulated time saved (by not having to hunt and peck the standard numbers/time) over the years.... have saved me enough time to... well to hunt and peck out this post.

And now.... in the evolution that rational thought should have predicted AmazonBasics offers a Microwave, that works with Alexa. You can't make this stuff up!

And as Alexa AI continues to get smarter and more capable.... now with the NEW Alexa app, Alexa voice responses can be created just by typing in what you want Alexa to say. Soon... (I predict) Alexa will be as capable and useful as BVC was.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:45:35 PM by HA Dave »

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »

I saw the microwave about a week ago and it does appear to have some very good features. :o

For instance; Sign up to automatically reorder popcorn and save 10% on popcorn orders. Choose from select popcorn brands in the Alexa app. When you make popcorn using your voice or the Popcorn button, AmazonBasics Microwave will reorder when you run low.

WOW, How useful is THAT???  :'

But at only 700 watts, you're probably not doing much more than eat popcorn and reheat old coffee.

They should probably build a screen into the viewing window so you don't need to miss a minute and 20 seconds of the latest Amazon Video exclusive TV show.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »

…… Sign up to automatically reorder popcorn and save 10% on popcorn orders. Choose from select popcorn brands in the Alexa app. When you make popcorn using your voice or the Popcorn button, AmazonBasics Microwave will reorder when you run low.

WOW, How useful is THAT???  :'

Yeah.... I (also?) get the impression that at every Amazon corporate meeting... marketing is the number one topic. I think Amazon is painfully aware that some consumers are still buying products NOT delivered to their homes in a Amazon box. But.... they are out to fix that. However.... (just like the Chicago Sears Tower began the slow-motion downfall of the iconic Sears and Roebuck brand).... I see Amazon's latest decision to build a multi-billion corporate campus in Queens New York as the beginning of their end-story. Then again... nothing lasts forever.

However anyone see's the need or usefulness of an automated microwave today..... or as in my younger days: a "Mr. Coffee STYLE" [non-percolator] coffee maker with a clock and timer. I see this as a sign of a natural "cultural" move towards Home Automation. (In the early days of X10... putting the coffee pot on an X10 timer was hot stuff. Now-a-days all old-timers know it's hard to find a coffee maker that DOESN'T have it's own timer and will work with X10.)

The other day I noticed that ihc (Broadlink Pro) had recognized the Cree smart/wifi lightbulb (which is used by my Wink Hub) and added it to it's devices. That new capability must have happened after a ihc app update (and while I added another device). It sort of messed up a couple routines and to fix that had to save the bulb/light in BOTH my ihc app and the Wink Hub using two different names. Then disable the ihc named device. Which I think is interesting as a new automation era problem.

Then while working in the Wink Hub app.... I noticed the last Wink update had added "outlook".... a sort of, built-in alarm/detection/trigger.... which IMHO, is a BIG DEAL for the capabilities of these app controlled Hub devices. Like the grandkids..... these Hubs are growing up so fast

There is a bunch of stuff happening with Home Automation. This is THE Home Automation golden era.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:29:48 AM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.