Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless appliance module?  (Read 1109 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Wireless appliance module?
« on: November 08, 2018, 01:07:54 PM »

Hi,

I have a special need.

At my office I have a cable modem, network switch and arris phone modem all plugged into an APC UPS.

I have an active home pc that is here at the office and connected to my neighbor's wifi, and can connect to it from home when my internet at the office is down because the cable modem went wonky.

I want to be able to power cycle the internet modem only, but PLC won't get through to the modem through the APC UPS. so I have to drive down to the office sometimes in pajamas because we run a server orphanage here. If I power cycle the whole UPS with an appliance controller, well it won't run out of battery power and really turn off for at least a half an hour.

So what would be good would be an x10 appliance module that responds not to PLC but wireless commands if that exists.
I have an old x10 transceiver with the nice transistor radio type antenna that is fixed at A1? if I recall, but can that be triggered from say and active home pro wireless transceiver connected to the PC?

I drowning.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:11:35 PM by bitman »
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Wireless appliance module?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »

From your description of the module.

The TM751 or X10Pro PAT02 can be added into AHP. Since it is RF only it is controlled by the X10 transmitter in the AHP CM15A controller. Since it is hard coded to Unit 1 it only needs a House Code set into it.

It does have to be with in RF range from the CM15A's X10 transmitter.

If you want to use the TM751 on the UPS AC output to the equipment. It may depend on the UPS AC output on battery. Some are a modified sine wave and the TM751 may not run well on it. I did a test for a member and when on battery mine started to smoke.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:56:12 PM by Brian H »

bitman

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »

Great that's what I wanted to hear. They're within feet of one another in the same lab.

Thanks a ton.

My, the  AHP CM15A has gotten pricey.

Re: Smoke, what brand of ups? APC?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:01:28 PM by bitman »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »

Most of the X10 modules use a capacitor derived power supply. That don't work well on the stepped or modified sine wave AC output on most UPS units. Unless the UPS is specified to have a pure sine wave output on battery power.

I know it was an APC.
I believe it was my XS1000 and not my real old Back UP 450 and Back UPS 500. In storage.
Other brands with stepped or modified sine wave outputs may also do it.

The CM15A is probably closer to what the price should be from the present owners. X10WTI before they went bankrupt use to sell stuff that looked like a loss leader to me.

bitman

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »

Thanks for that heads up Brian! It's a Backups 450 and it could go on battery at any time burning the place down!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »

I think the CM15A used to be listed at $99 when it was run by X10WTI except for sales that were always running.  I think I jumped on when it was down to $50 and they discounted a bunch of other stuff into my custom "bundle".

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.