Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WM-101  (Read 485 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
WM-101
« on: November 11, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »

I am designing an ESP8266-based (Espressif WROOM-02D) device that will interface with the XTB-232 & CM11A and do the things the WM-100 should have been designed to do. It will have...

WiFi interface with no need for clouds or apps - you can access it via any web browser
USB-to-Serial interface which will be based on the original CM11A protocol
Optional RF receiver; optional RF transmitter (planned but depends on other developments)

8KB EEPROM for timers, macros, history, etc.
Battery-backed RTC with user calibration, low battery warning, logs time & date of power loss, battery will maintain RTC for several months in the absence of power.

It is designed to fit inside the XTB-232 but can also connect externally with the XTB-232 or CM11A.

Compatible with CM11A software.
Its working title is XTB-ESP.
I hope to have it ready in 3 months or so but I'm old and decrepit with major health issues so keep your fingers crossed.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:37:53 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 257
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
Re: WM-101
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »

Nice!
I suspect the external pluging will be most popular.
However what would the benifit be over using say a Pi ZeroW?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »

However what would the benifit be over using say a Pi ZeroW?
It should work out of the box with existing software like ActiveHome Vista although there may be some features (e.g. RF RX/TX) that may not work. Until I get some hardware built I cannot be 100% sure which features will be 100% compatible with existing software. I expect to order PCBs and any parts I do not already have on hand today or tomorrow.
And, if Jeff finds an heir to the XTB line, the internal version might prove quite popular.
The Pi Zero W seems to require going down the Linux rabbit hole with which some oldtimers might be uncomfortable.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 257
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »

The Pi Zero W seems to require going down the Linux rabbit hole with which some oldtimers might be uncomfortable.

actually Linux is just the most popular OS used with the pi. Android and Windows core could be use. Neither of these I've  attempted to use on my zeroW, maybe during HA season I'll  experiment.
I believe ActiveHomeVista used the AHP SDK so that sould mean even AHP would work  with you designed WM-101
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »

I never used AHP so am unfamiliar with its features. The device I've designed has options for RF RX/TX so it should be able to do everything the CM15A does plus it has WiFi.

Can anyone point me to any CM15A documentation or, lacking that, can you tell me what features you would like to see? When I get a bit of time, I'll also look at the ActiveHomeVista docs re the CM15A.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »

I believe ActiveHomeVista used the AHP SDK so that sould mean even AHP would work  with you designed WM-101
I should have been more explicit in my description. The WM-101 will have built-in USB-to-Serial hardware (CH340G) so while PCs can connect via USB there's a PC driver needed which provides a virtual serial port and translates serial commands to USB (and vice versa) so it will only support software written for a serial connection.

It does, however, make it much easier to write Windows/Linux/OSX software
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:41:52 AM by dhouston »

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 18
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 09:07:35 PM »

I'm fascinated at the aversion to Linux on this forum. It's not like it it's a new kid on the block. It's very accessible to anyone who wishes to explore it and of course it's free, as in beer  :)

Maybe in its previous incarnations it may have been a little too techie or fragmented for some but with the arrival of the single board computer in the shape of the Raspberry Pi the community input is vast and informative. Exactly what I imagine a forum like this would aspire to.

I fear Windows is going down that very same rabbit hole quicker than the rabbits.  rofl

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 288
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 05:57:44 AM »

Every time I have tried Linux and had a question or problem. The Linux snobs where no help. Told me to try and read the documentation.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 18
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »

Every time I have tried Linux and had a question or problem. The Linux snobs where no help. Told me to try and read the documentation.

Sorry to hear of your negative experience when trying to explore the Linux world. I truly think the world has moved on a little though.

The introduction of the Raspberry Pi has introduced Linux in the form of Raspbian, the Raspberry Pi OS to the man/woman in the street. That perceived snobbery/elitism has all but disappeared as a result.

The Raspberry Pi community are truly engaging with those who wish to exploit this single board computer. The original concept of an educational tool for children wishing to learn computing has far exceeded that goal. It's now firmly fixed in mainstream technology development and is particularly suitable for embedded solutions like X10 and similar technologies.

I do understand resistance to an environment that people do not understand or feel comfortable in. I also understand there are vested interests who are not comfortable with the concept of open source software. After all where's the dollar return for them.

I do recommend people at least have a look at the Raspberry Pi before dismissing the concept. Maybe those people could also make the token investment by purchasing a Raspberry Pi kit and trying it for themselves. I personally never knock something till I've tried it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 288
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »

I have a few model Raspberry Pi modules. Even one in a Smarti Pi Touch case with official touch screen.

I don't like the fact that you have to drop out of the GUI to do commands in terminal. Using command that remind me of the good old DOS days.

It also does not like a not planed shutdown. Like a power failures and scrambled SD card.

I do enjoy seeing what can be done with the Pi and operating system. Thank you for your continued support and contributions.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:18:50 AM by Brian H »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 10:45:59 AM »

I'm awaiting delivery of 10 prototype PCBs for the XTB-ESP (or WM-101). They should arrive by week's end and all needed components are either on order or on hand so I should be able to assemble and test a couple of units in the next few weeks.

It uses the Espressif WROOM-02D (stocked by both Mouser & Digi-Key). There's an onboard CH340G USB-Serial IC, a battery-backed RTC, 8KB EEPROM. There are solderpads and support circuitry for adding an RF receiver and an RF transmitter. While designed to fit inside of Jeff Volp's XTB-232 it can also be used externally with existing XTB-232s or the CM11A. The internal XTB-ESP will still require an external 5V/500mA power supply either from a PC or a USB power supply.

I plan to use the ZBasic for ESP8266 compiler to write the firmware. The author has promised to add support for the NEC IR protocol (built-in to ESP8266) which I'll use for X10 RF RX/TX. My plans are for an HTML interface (i.e. web server) which can be accessed from any web browser. There will be no cloud required.

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:28:32 PM by dhouston »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »

Sounds very promising. I like the "no app/no cloud" approach.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »

If Don Kinzer, creator of ZBasic, is able to add control of the ESP8266 infrared functions, the external unit can also be used to send RF to the TM751, RR501, PATO3, etc. - in effect a TIP10RF but with more features.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 07:55:33 AM »

I have the 10 prototype PCBs but have discovered a short that I missed in my design phase. I think I can fix it on a couple of PCBs. Then I'll assemble and test them - hopefully, by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:00:20 AM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 07:47:48 AM »

It looks like my fix fixed the short. Today I plan to paste1 together a couple of prototypes for initial testing.

1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RSGPI8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.