💬General Category > General Discussion

Radar Detection Lighting

(1/18) > >>

HA Dave:
I've enjoyed motion detection lighting... for some years. I've used the standard PIR (passive InfraRed?) both outside for with X10 and other floodlight sensors, and indoors in the garage, laundry room, and one bathroom. Although I haven't had much luck with the little X10 battery powered "eye" sensors. The hard-wire PIR sensors that replace a standard wall switch have been great. I've also tried a screw-in sensor that went between the bulb and the and the screw-in base.

Recently I tried an LED lightbulb with built-in radar motion sensor. I'd put it in the laundry as often times it's convenient to have hands free lighting there. Interestingly... even though the room is large for a laundry room (aprox 12X14) it appears to catch activity well into sounding rooms.

This heightened (through glass and walls) sensitivity might be a little excessive for laundry room lighting (I am going to try PIR bulbs next)…. but for security lighting in my shed... it sounds ideal. Any others experimenting with this? 

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Sensor-Bulb-Radar-LED/dp/B0796Q95KS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542671936&sr=8-4&keywords=radar+light+bulb

dhouston:
I seriously doubt that this uses actual radar. See...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar
for a definition/description of radar.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on November 19, 2018, 08:47:12 PM ---I seriously doubt that this uses actual radar.....
--- End quote ---

Radio waves? I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Practically everything is some resonance, vibration, or wave of some kind. I feel confident it is "technically" radar.

SkipWX10:
I have looked at the 'radar' bulbs myself, as I thought they would be great for several applications at my house. The big holdup for me was exactly what you experienced....I thought they'd be nice in the connector from the house to the workshop and garage, but wouldn't tolerate activation from inside the room at either end...the reviews I read mentioned, for example, putting the bulb in the outside light by the door, but getting activation from inside the house. I think for the time being, I'll stick with the 'Eye' detectors I use now with great success. And BTW, the batteries have worked in mine for years with no issues, probably change every three years or so and the two I have in use detect at least 10 times a day...

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: SkipWX10 on November 19, 2018, 11:05:11 PM ---......the reviews I read mentioned, for example, putting the bulb in the outside light by the door, but getting activation from inside the house......
--- End quote ---

Yes..... that is exactly what I'd expect to happen. I am positive I get far more "friendly fire" lightings from non-laundry room traffic than useful lighting...... when entering the laundry room with a basket of laundry (the purpose of the detector).

But on the other hand.... The bulb burns a whole 7 watts.... and only remains on 20 secs after motion stops. So the wasted electric wouldn't likely be more than a minute or two of a 7 watt burn each day. However.... even though coming up with a "cost" would require a very sharp pencil... I don't like the idea of lights burning for no good reason.

I had [also] considered trying the bulb in the foyer. It would provide light if I entered the room at night. And... would [likely] also light up if a person approached the front door from the outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version