Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Radar Detection Lighting  (Read 11416 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Radar Detection Lighting
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2018, 07:36:52 PM »

Previously I had in-house voice announcements from my BVC (voice control software running on a 24/7 laptop). Which I shutdown as part of my re-imagining of my setup. MAYBE.... I can setup a Alexa reminder or routine of some sort... when the door is open.

This got me realizing how much I miss my kate 16 voice notifications now that I moved my HA from the PC to a PI.
I spent most of today looking into sending sound notifications to a BT speaker and it payed off.
Now I just need some Alexa sound (wav) files of a half decent quality ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »

Maybe something simple... like the entry door into the garage having a WiFi and/or RFID lock. So the door into the home, always locks behind the person leaving... but is also always open to the authorized person entering.

Simple, I'm sure you're being facetious. We'll have to embed an RFID chip between your shoulder blades, install an RFID reader on each side of the door to determine direction, then....
Simple??

You want simple? I have one of these on every interior and exterior door, even the shed outside. http://bit.ly/2FRdOer and a few of these http://bit.ly/2Q55Nap scattered around the house. Check the size difference compared to a z-wave motion sensor. And, the z-wave is even smaller than the X10 sensor. https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNR3uZ37p4WZbNqG6

You should look at getting a zigbee board to attach to your pi https://amzn.to/2ACYj3K. I have door sensors, motion sensors, water leak sensors, all for a fraction of some X10 or z-wave stuff. Obviously nothing beats what you already have, but if you're thinking of changing or adding...

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2018, 10:28:33 PM »

….. I miss my kate 16 voice notifications now that I moved my HA from the PC to a PI.
I spent most of today looking into sending sound notifications to a BT speaker and it payed off.
Now I just need some Alexa sound (wav) files of a half decent quality ::) :'

The most recent Alexa app allows the user to type in custom Alexa responses in the routines. You could use the audio jack on an echo to a PC audio in... I think.

Also... the Alexa Voice Remote allows you to make Alexa speak/repeat your words... in Alexa's voice (I have one).

I can't even guess the number of times I've thought about ordering a PC stick.... and loading BVC (and Kate).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:30:08 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2018, 10:43:08 PM »

Simple, I'm sure you're being facetious. We'll have to embed an RFID chip between your shoulder blades, install an RFID reader on each side of the door to determine direction, then....
Simple?? 

I do have a doctor friend... I always thought the RFID chip would be best in that hollow area... between the thumb and 1st finger... on my right hand. But that's just me.

But the simpler way.... would be a Samsung RFID and number/keypad dead bolt or similar product/lock. The RFID tag(s) could attach to a key chain... making unlocking a nearly natural action... but merely waving the keys/tag by the lock. And the keypad would prevent accidental lock-out. Admittedly... not a perfect solution... but better than nothing and certainly automated.

I should mention.... I discussed this briefly with the building/property/lifestyle manager.... and she promised she'll think about it. WAF is always a big consideration with my setups.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:04:56 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2018, 07:06:40 AM »

Also... the Alexa Voice Remote allows you to make Alexa speak/repeat your words... in Alexa's voice (I have one).
The Simon says option will also work for recording. It is to bad TTS wasn't available for the Alexa voice.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »

http://bit.ly/2QbCnr9 sounds like any one of us.

HA Dave

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »

http://bit.ly/2QbCnr9 sounds like any one of us. 

I agree completely. Home Automation has historically only been a niche market. With a small yet active community of core users. But Home Automation usership is up.... Home Automation is coming of age and attracting millions of "the interested". But at it's core is a "community" of users that truly embrace the lifestyle. But even the core community of this fast growing technology.... isn't in agreement in use or adaptation of products.

I do believe that future of Home Automation... and maybe all advanced technologies... is IN the use of Artificial Intelligence. And I believe human connectivity to each other and all our devices via AI is the inevitable future of mankind. Maybe not in my lifetime. But then again.... it's been years since I wasn't connected.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2019, 02:23:59 PM »

I stumbled upon a story about Google applying this Doppler radar technology for use with smart watches.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/02/google-wins-fcc-approval-to-keep-developing-radar-based-hand-sen/

https://www.engadget.com/2015/05/29/atap-project-soli/

The few watches I've tried are nearly impossible to manage via their onscreen displays so this could be an excellent application.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »

I just picked up a couple of overhead lights from Costco that may use radar (not sure).  There is no motion sensor visible and no lens typical of a PIR.  I plugged it in just to see if it would cause X10 issues and it only drops the signal strength slightly.  If it's bright enough, I'm going to put one or two in my laundry room.

https://www.costco.com/Koda-Motion-Activated-LED-Ceiling-Light-with-Remote-Control.product.100409306.html

The only down side I see upon initial inspection is that I don't think it uses a standard box mount and may require installing some kind of screws in the ceiling.  I didn't look close enough to confirm, but the mounting holes appeared a bit wider than the ~3-4" bracket.  I didn't see a bracket in the package, but the link above lists one so it shouldn't be a problem.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2019, 01:11:00 PM »

One of the bad reviews said it interfered with their WiFi so that probably means it is radar. The fact that you can set the motion detector distance also would indicate radar.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 01:14:32 PM by dhouston »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2019, 05:22:40 PM »

Hmmm, well my wifi was dead last night but I have been having some issues with my router recently so it could be coincidence.  If others have that issue, I will probably pass.  HD and Lowes both sell simple LED lights for about 50% less that I find have no issues with X10.

I thought the motion detection might be cool but I'm not going to bother if it's more likely to cause problems with existing systems.

HA Dave

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2019, 05:39:01 AM »

One of the bad reviews said it interfered with their WiFi so that probably means it is radar. The fact that you can set the motion detector distance also would indicate radar.

Hmmm, well my wifi was dead last night but I have been having some issues with my router recently so it could be coincidence.

I am with dhouston on this. I'd guess that the WiFi trouble may be related.... or at least worth an investigation. I own/purchased my router... as I heard unkind reports of cable-company provided (rental) routers. But with added speeds and number of users/devices/etc. new routers aren't cheap.

If others have that issue, I will probably pass.  HD and Lowes both sell simple LED lights for about 50% less that I find have no issues with X10.
I thought the motion detection might be cool but I'm not going to bother if it's more likely to cause problems with existing systems.

The Radar detection (bulb) I tried in my basement laundry room didn't work out..... for me. The radar would pick-up movement too easily... was on when unneeded too often. But in the remote area where it was located, I never noticed any WiFi issues.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2019, 11:41:57 AM »

My router issues seem unrelated and I've been looking for an upgrade for a while.  I keep seeing WiFi 6 routers being discussed around the web, so I haven't decided if I'll get something for now or the future (the current routers are 10+ years old but the old trusty Linksys WRT54G models).

I may just use these lights anyway since it appears my HD upped the price on basic fixtures above what these fancy ones from Costco cost.  $60 for 2 of these at Costco versus a minimum of $54 for very basic units at Lowes.  I can disable the motion detection on these and still get the benefit of adjustable light levels and color tones.  FWIW, they work with X10 but do drop my signal strength slightly right next to the fixtures.  Probably not an issue overall.

HA Dave

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2019, 03:42:30 PM »

……. I've been looking for an upgrade for a while.  I keep seeing WiFi 6 routers being discussed around the web, so I haven't decided if I'll get something for now or the future …….

I wish I knew what the future is going to offer. 17 years ago I fished CAT5 through the house (as the old WiFi was unreliable and painfully slow). I was about to pull the wires out as my wifi now is awesome. Then..... my blue-Ray player/streaming device in the Home Theater works best with a hardwire (CAT6) connection. Plus.... I learned I could likely get by with most devices using the Cable company's city (nation) wide broadband connection. And just use the Cable company's provided router for a CAT6 wired setup.

I have no idea what will be available or needed with tomorrows broadband.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.