Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Unwanted Time Set?  (Read 2218 times)

normd

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Unwanted Time Set?
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »

I live on the East Coast.  I had my WM100 working with two lights to come on at dusk and off at a set time.  It was working fine while I was home.  I had a business trip to Houston and I though I'd check on the log.  Everything seemed fine.  However, later that day when I got home the lights had not gone off and there was no Send at the set Off time. I'm wondering if when you log onto the WM100 with the app it synchs and automatically sets the time based on the device. So, did the WM100 set the time to Houston time and the lights would go off an hour later? I was not able to run the experiment as I logged into the WM100 when I got home to see what was going on. If the app automatically resets the time whenever it accesses the WM100, that is a serious bug. What if I am in China and I access the WM100?  Will my schedule be totally out of whack? Of course, we can't see what time is on the WM100 because for some unknown reason this basic data is not displayed anywhere.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Unwanted Time Set?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »

I was under the impression that after the second firmware update after it was released, it stopped automatically syncing the time - and prompted you if you wanted to sync or not (giving you the opportunity to decline). However, if you *do* sync the time, it will sync to the time on whichever device your are using - so it will be off from your home time if you're in a different time zine when you do it. I wouldn't classify it as a "bug" as much as a "stupid design choice," one which Authinx hasn't been able to get the developer/manufacturer to change as of yet.
The WM100 doesn't have a battery-backed clock in it, so it cannot fix it's own time after a power interruption (another stupid design choice). The software could, in theory, be modified to pull the time off the Internet for the correct time zone, but that hasn't yet been done - and I I have little confidence that will ever get done.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »

I was under the impression that after the second firmware update after it was released, it stopped automatically syncing the time - and prompted you if you wanted to sync or not (giving you the opportunity to decline). However, if you *do* sync the time, it will sync to the time on whichever device your are using - so it will be off from your home time if you're in a different time zine when you do it. I wouldn't classify it as a "bug" as much as a "stupid design choice," one which Authinx hasn't been able to get the developer/manufacturer to change as of yet.
The WM100 doesn't have a battery-backed clock in it, so it cannot fix it's own time after a power interruption (another stupid design choice). The software could, in theory, be modified to pull the time off the Internet for the correct time zone, but that hasn't yet been done - and I I have little confidence that will ever get done.

Interesting....I recently unplugged my WM100 to do some work in the room it's in and when I plugged it back in, got the sync message. Didn't even think of *not* doing it. But I'm in the same time zone so where did it get the time from and why were they different? Was it just 3 hours behind my phone (the time it was unplugged)? In the case of scheduled events, that could be as bad as setting it to a China time zone....

Makes me think that the only solution is to go into settings on the phone, set time to correct home time zone (ignoring sync to network) and then connecting to Willie and synchronizing the time and then switching back. First world problem, I know, but still a foolish issue considering how easy it is to fix.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 09:41:10 AM »

Interesting....I recently unplugged my WM100 to do some work in the room it's in and when I plugged it back in, got the sync message. Didn't even think of *not* doing it. But I'm in the same time zone so where did it get the time from and why were they different? Was it just 3 hours behind my phone (the time it was unplugged)? In the case of scheduled events, that could be as bad as setting it to a China time zone....

Makes me think that the only solution is to go into settings on the phone, set time to correct home time zone (ignoring sync to network) and then connecting to Willie and synchronizing the time and then switching back. First world problem, I know, but still a foolish issue considering how easy it is to fix.
It was behind because when you unplug it, it loses the time. And when you plug it back in, it doesn't have any clue what time it is, so it needs to sync from your phone. I never bothered to test if it records the last time it had, and continues from there - or if it resets to some default "start" time. But it clearly has no idea what time it *really* is until you do a sync. Yes, changing your phone to the correct "home" time and then syncing should work - but we shouldn't have to do that in 2018. It should have been designed properly to have a battery-backed clock *and* the ability to pull the time from the web automatically.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.