Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WM100 will not connect?  (Read 6244 times)

lgb0250

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
WM100 will not connect?
« on: December 02, 2018, 12:19:16 PM »

Did a search and found some others that have had this same setup problem but it looks like this forum gave them the info they needed to finally get it working properly.

Received my new unit yesterday and was excited since I really wanted to start controlling my Christmas lights with it immediately.

Fresh out of the box I tried to connect to my 2.4ghz channel with no success. Can’t even count how many times I’ve tried it over the last 24 hrs and still no luck.

I’m using the correct network and password. I even clicked the little box that says show password just to make sure I had it entered correctly. I went to my iPhone and iPad settings and forgot the network and re entered the password and was connected immediately to those devices. Still no luck with the WM100. I have done many resets to no avail. I have done a hard reset on the WM100 itself to no avail. I have even deleted and reinstalled the X10 app. Still nothing. I have unplugged it and let it set overnight and still nothing. Have tried connecting when right next to the router so it’s not a distance thing.

I’m not a tech guru but I don’t have any other problems connecting anything to my router so I doubt it is the problem. I have a Netgear Nighthawk R6350 router and am using WPA2-PSK security.

I’ve read everything I can about the setup process and I believe I have a device that is DOA. Can anyone think of another explanation? Thanks

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:21:05 PM by lgb0250 »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: WM100 will not connect?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 12:26:46 PM »

most newer phones auto connect to 5ghz networks be sure your phone is on the 2ghz network the app attempts to use your phones connection during setup.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lgb0250

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »

I understand that, thanks. I had even went into my WiFi settings and forgot my 5ghz band so it wouldn’t auto reconnect. Didn’t help. Forgot to include that in original post.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 01:36:19 PM »

Send support an e-mail stating everything you tried and request a RM ticket
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lgb0250

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »

Thanks. I had already sent them an email telling them I wanted an RMA but now that I’ve calmed down, I really want to keep this, if I can ever get it working! I will send them everything and see what happens. Again, thanks for your help.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »

If you know someone with an Android device you can attempt to connect and setup with it each OS has their own app and sometime others have been able to setup using the other OS device.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 06:57:38 PM »

Not suggesting that this is the problem, but when I was fighting with the unit to get it connected, I accidentally used my router "admin" password, not my SSID password.  I was absolutely convinced that it was the correct password.  It was...just not for what i was doing!

B:(

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 07:12:20 PM »

And I thought I was the only one that did that! rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 09:10:19 PM »

.....when I was fighting with the unit to get it connected, I accidentally used my router "admin" password, not my SSID password. …..

My most common error when logging onto things like this. Is when they ask for an email address as a user name.... I tend to forget to add the ".com" at the end.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:01 AM »

If you know someone with an Android device you can attempt to connect and setup with it each OS has their own app and sometime others have been able to setup using the other OS device.

Agreed. I have better luck in general with android.  I am able to access all features, including the log, with an iPhone 5 running 10.3. My iPad, running iOS 12, is my biggest headache.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

... I really want to keep this, if I can ever get it working! ...

Are you sure? You know that it doesn't have a battery-backed clock (so it will lose the time if there is a power interruption, and much be manually re-synced from a device *in the same time zone*), right?
And the server goes down every so often, leaving you with no access to the unit.
The company can't get the developer/manufacturer to fix the bugs, and the unit doesn't even meet it's original design criteria.

I would think long and hard before deciding you still want to sink your money into this unit.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 12:07:40 PM »

Thanks. I had already sent them an email telling them I wanted an RMA but now that I’ve calmed down, I really want to keep this, if I can ever get it working! I will send them everything and see what happens. Again, thanks for your help.

Take the refund and run... over to the thread about the Pi X10 Hub. With a Raspberry Pi Zero W (under $25 for all you'll need) you'll have everything and more than the WM100 can & will ever do and you'll put $75 back in your wallet. Also, Dave Houston is taking a different tack and developing his 'WM101' as another good option to the failed WM100 from X10. You can read more in that thread too.

lgb0250

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 08:30:43 PM »

Based on how I was handled today and previous comments, I am choosing to run.

Finally got an email back from them at 11am this morning telling me sorry and it looked like I had done everything they would have done. Their only question was if the blue light stayed solid blue or blinked when it was just sitting there. I responded that when the unit is plugged in and just sitting there it is a solid blue. Doesn’t blink unless I press and hold the sync button.

That’s the last I’ve heard from them! Very poor customer service. I can still use the wired controller I’ve been using for years. Was just hoping to be able to set up timers and take advantage of the dusk/dawn feature.

Thanks for all the feedback

lgb0250

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »

Take the refund and run... over to the thread about the Pi X10 Hub. With a Raspberry Pi Zero W (under $25 for all you'll need) you'll have everything and more than the WM100 can & will ever do and you'll put $75 back in your wallet. Also, Dave Houston is taking a different tack and developing his 'WM101' as another good option to the failed WM100 from X10. You can read more in that thread too.

Would love to pursue that but after reading some posts in that thread I understand when I am out of my element! Way out of my league!! Shoot, I actually thought a Raspberry Pi was a pie with Raspberries in it. Go figure.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 08:03:28 AM »

Would love to pursue that but after reading some posts in that thread I understand when I am out of my element! Way out of my league!! Shoot, I actually thought a Raspberry Pi was a pie with Raspberries in it. Go figure.
  that thread was the early developement of using a Pi and Cm15. I have put together a SD card image that does all the heavy lifting although still in the testing stages using users simular in their understanding  of a raspberry pi as you. I'm sure you'd have no difficulties getting up and running if your interested.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.