Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A learning-Smart Thermostat (Nest) install  (Read 826 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
A learning-Smart Thermostat (Nest) install
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »

So with a recent (Christmas?) price cut.... along with local power company rebates... I found the once pricey ($249) Nest thermostat marked down to $179, with rebates totaling another 100 bucks. So even with tax... I get a very high-tech thermostat.... for well under $100 (even after taxes).

The Nest thermostat I chose is the 3rd gen Nest. It looks and feels like a quality product. Nicely finished and package like it was an iPhone.

Install did not go perfectly. It's internal battery was dead and needed charging just to install it (it will pull enough current from the thermostat to remained charged) And the wiring diagram there web site generated was off... and I require a company (phone conversation) person to figure out which wire to not use. But even with stalls and a re-do... it installed quickly.

Now it looks great and I hope to learn at least most of what this thing can do for me. And with a 4 hour middle-of-the-night programmed turn-down (already scheduled.... it should pay for itself.

P.S. Yes it does communicate with, and can be controlled by... Alexa.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: A learning-Smart Thermostat (Nest) install
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »

FWIW
For those X10'ers with either the Bryant "Evolution" , or Carrier "Infinity" system HVAC, the WiFi thermostat give you smartphone and Alexa control. But insanely over priced, unless you find a deal on Ebay. Ours also tracks energy used; giving kWh, or dollars. Shows whether it is heat pump usage or three stage 15kW electric furnace.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: A learning-Smart Thermostat (Nest) install
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »

……. Ours also tracks energy used; giving kWh, or dollars. Shows whether it is heat pump usage or three stage 15kW electric furnace.

I am still learning what all this thing does... and how to use it. I did schedule a "middle of the night set-back" Which dropped the temp by 3 degrees (for 4 hours) while we slept. And today.... tried out the automatic eco set-back (based on both my wife and I phones locations) that allowed the house to cool while we were out... and turn the heat back up automatically when we returned. I like NOT heating or cooling an empty house.

I am hopeful that my $91 investment will be returned by the end of 2019. You I don't normally get much for free. But for the cost (nothing) being able to get the "inside" temperature from Alexa as well as adjust the thermostat by voice command.... was well worth the cost.

More and more..... I keep integrating different brands/flavors of automation products. UNlike my childhood self.... they all seem to play well together.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:46:43 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.