Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW VIABLE X10 CONTROLLER OUT!  (Read 1987 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
NEW VIABLE X10 CONTROLLER OUT!
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:33:01 AM »

Well Tuicemen and others have done it!  They have made a plug-n-play SD card IMAGE that let's even a new newbie with no program experience download and install a working AHP replacement!   Just follow the simple instructions included and your $ 5 or $ 10 Raspberry pi zero W will give you an AHP replacement that works out of the box!

Comes with lots of help from those guys too!

Just go here and get started:

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30593.0

WAY TO GO TUICEMEN ET ALL!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: NEW VIABLE X10 CONTROLLER OUT!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »

Thanks mike but we're not finished yet!
 It should be noted the link posted will only work for those in the test group.

It is true this works with a Raspberry pi Zero W but in tests has worked with other older models, though slower.
I still wish to get a really good sample setup simular to what AHP had included showing simple timers and macros which work.
I am excepting new testers just PM me.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:49:44 PM »

Whether you're considering joining the test group or waiting for the public release, here's some info on the amount of effort required, what you'll need and what it'll cost.  If you already have a CM15a you can spend less than $35 for everything you'll need and less than an hour setting up the controller so you can start using Home Genie. You'll only need to use a PC/laptop to download the image and put it on the Micro SD card.

While you're waiting for your Pi to arrive, read up on Home Genie and how to use it here (you can skip right down to Setup):  https://genielabs.github.io/HomeGenie/#/get_started

As for what's needed to get started, here's a list of everything you'll need and where to find them:

1. An X10 CM15A available from X10.com or ebay. Cost is typically under $50 on ebay or $80 delivered from X10.com. No software or configuration is required - just plug it in.

2. A Micro SD card that's at least 4GB, typical cost for a name brand 8 or 16GB is about $6 on Amazon.

3. A Raspberry Pi Zero W, typical delivered cost from online sources is around $15.
  4. A 5 volt DC 2.5 amp power supply with micro USB connector, typical cost around $8.
  5. An adapter to plug the CM15A's USB cable into the Pi's micro USB port (OTG adapter), typical cost is $5.

Items 3,4 & 5 can be purchased as a kit for $27 w/free shipping on Amazon and also includes a case, heat sink, HDMI cable and more. This is the best deal I've found online and the one I bought.  Search for "Vilros Raspberry Pi Zero W Basic Starter Kit- Clear Case Edition-Includes Pi Zero W -Power Supply & Premium Clear Case" or click this: https://goo.gl/gkuzCt   It's cheaper than the sum of just the three parts you need!

In less than 1 hour from the time you open the package you'll be looking at the Home Genie screen by following the simple steps that will be provided.  Absolutely no prior knowledge or experience with a Pi or Linux is needed.  The image that Tuicemen has created has everything baked in and ready to eat!

Tuicemen is looking for more pre-release testers right now so PM him to get onboard!  The more feedback he gets the better the end result will be.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 01:24:40 PM by brobin »

Hollybrook

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »

This looks really good!  It only took me a few hours to get up and running, including having my Echo Dot control a light module.  And not hanging out here on the forum, I was starting with much less knowledge than most others.

Since I already had a CM15A, I have spent less than $30 for a X10 wifi hub that actually works reliably.  And I got to learn a bit about Raspberry Pi's at the same time.

I was thinking I couldn't keep my X10 investment going much longer, but this has really opened my eyes to what is possible.  A big thanks to the folks who have been working on this!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.