Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello, it's Gene  (Read 1764 times)

HomeGenie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Hello, it's Gene
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:52:50 AM »

Hi everyone,

my name is Gene and I'm the author of HomeGenie. Feel free to ask me anything about it, either you need support configuring it, or you'd like to have some new features implemented.

I've been busy in the last year writing a new UI library for modern web development (it's name is zUIx.js).
This library was initially inspired by HomeGenie UI and the reason I wrote it is because I wanted to give HomeGenie a better and more effective UI.
Now is about time for me to start doing it.

So if you like this idea and project, feel free to get involved with your suggestions and requests.
If you are a web developer you can also contribute writing code joining the project on GitHub (genielabs/homegenie-web-ui).
I haven't published it yet, but soon I will.

Building a good UI and home automation software cannot be done without the experience and knowledge of HA users and enthusiasts.

>!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Hello, it's Gene
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »

Welcome aboard Gene, I'm sure youll get lots of question thrown your way.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 11:51:36 AM »

Welcome Gene!  Glad to see you back working on the project.

For reference, what is the best way to interface with you if someone needed help with anything?  Is this forum best, do you have a replacement HG forum, GitHub issue?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »

Welcome Gene, glad to see you here!

HomeGenie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »

Hi bkenobi! =)

For reference, what is the best way to interface with you if someone needed help with anything?  Is this forum best, do you have a replacement HG forum, GitHub issue?

To get help and discuss about HG in general the forum is the preferred way; to report bugs or feature requests the issue tracker on GitHub is the way to go.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:19:58 AM »

Sounds good!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »

Hi Gene. Nice to hear from you again.

Great to hear you're back developing HomeGenie. You're timing is perfect. As you can see your work was selected on this forum to re energise the grandfather of all home automation X10.

It's hoped that X10 can be fully integrated into a larger home automation concept to encourage users, new and old to adopt and adapt an old but well tried and tested technology into their setup.

Now that you have support for the CM11/12, the CM15a/Pro and now the CM19 built into HomeGenie this should give users here the opportunity to once again utilise their X10 equipment in a modular way.

No doubt there will be plenty of questions for you as the project progresses.

I was wondering if you would consider re establishing that wonderful HomeGenie forum that provided a very informatitive and comprehensive insight into HomeGenie. I've no doubt that you would have the support of many users both on this forum and outside of it.

HomeGenie

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »

I was wondering if you would consider re establishing that wonderful HomeGenie forum that provided a very informatitive and comprehensive insight into HomeGenie. I've no doubt that you would have the support of many users both on this forum and outside of it.

I am not planning to re-open the forum in the near future. I will be mostly busy with HG, its new UI and (still) trying to find a job. It's five years now since I'm jobless and this is becoming very hard to bear.
But I'll try to be more active in this forum and GitHub as well.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 01:56:50 PM »

when do you intend to publish the new UI on GitHub genielabs/homegenie-web-ui ? I've been looking for it!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 02:25:50 PM »

I am not planning to re-open the forum in the near future. I will be mostly busy with HG, its new UI and (still) trying to find a job. It's five years now since I'm jobless and this is becoming very hard to bear.
But I'll try to be more active in this forum and GitHub as well.

I suggested a while back on the old forum that you send on your details to me so I could forward them on to my contacts here. If you prefer send me a pm to discuss further.

HomeGenie

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 06:18:01 AM »

when do you intend to publish the new UI on GitHub genielabs/homegenie-web-ui ? I've been looking for it!

Before XMas I should be able to publish it.
It is implemented as a PWA. In this initial stage it will include the main layout (somehow similar to HomeGenie+ for Android, but better) and it will initially include only one widget (the one that is used for controlling switches and lights).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 06:34:16 AM »

Before XMas I should be able to publish it.
It is implemented as a PWA. In this initial stage it will include the main layout (somehow similar to HomeGenie+ for Android, but better) and it will initially include only one widget (the one that is used for controlling switches and lights).

Awesome what protocol will you initially be implementing or will it be all that HG currently supports?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HomeGenie

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 07:22:47 AM »

Awesome what protocol will you initially be implementing or will it be all that HG currently supports?

Not sure what do you mean with 'protocol'.
As the UI progress, also HG server will be updated in order to satisfy new requirements of the UI.
So HG API will be improved. One of the improvements could be using bidirectional WebSocket I/O instead of SSE.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 07:25:20 AM »

Ok I miss understood this doesn't replace the HG server it just expands on it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.