Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worked Briefly, Then Stopped  (Read 3653 times)

Snowmarkeus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Worked Briefly, Then Stopped
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:57:09 AM »

I keep getting an error that says "Connection Failed! Please make sure WiFi password is correct and the LED on the HUB is flashing before pressing the "CONNECT" button."

Then I'm taken back to the screen that says, "Now, let's connect to your home's WiFi Network..."

I follow all of the instructions carefully. Click the Next button. Land on the next screen that tells me to push the sync button until blue light flashes, then click CONNECT while the light is blinking. I do that and boom, back into this infinite loop where it looks like it is trying to connect and then the "Connection Failed!" message pops up again. The thing is, at one point, following all these same steps initially, I was connected and actually adding devices and controlling them from my phone. However, I then unplugged the WM100 and moved it to a different room. I've moved it back to the original room right next to my router, but the issues persist.

Any ideas on what I might do to fix this? I was really hoping this would save my investment in X10 and even allow expanded X10 usage in our home.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Worked Briefly, Then Stopped
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:04:10 AM »

for, once you set it up, you shouldn't need to run through the setup a second time just because you unplugged it (you will, however, need to re-sync the time, see below).

Make sure that your phone and the WM100 are both connecting to the same 2.4 GHz network (it won't work on a 5 GHz network).

Also, be aware that the WM100 doesn't have a battery-backed clock. So, if there is a power interruption, you'll need to open the app and re-sync the time from the device in order for timers to work again. And if you're in a different time zone when you do that, the time on the unit will be set to whatever time zone you're in when you sync it.

If the unit continues to give you problem, I suggest contacting the manufacturer, and requesting an RMA and a refund.

--Noam

Snowmarkeus

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »

Thanks, I've followed all instructions to the letter, but am still experiencing issues. I'm going to leave the unit unplugged for a few hours and then try again. I also sent a message through the X10 website for support. We shall see...

Would be interested to know if there are people experiencing consistent success with the WM100.

Thanks!

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:01:51 AM »

Thanks, I've followed all instructions to the letter, but am still experiencing issues. I'm going to leave the unit unplugged for a few hours and then try again. I also sent a message through the X10 website for support. We shall see...

Would be interested to know if there are people experiencing consistent success with the WM100.

Thanks!
From what I've read, and from my own experience, it isn't reliable for much more than being a glorified remote. Without a reliable clock, timers aren't helpful. It has limited memory, and limited functionality. There are a lot of reports here of customers returning them for a refund, when it doesn't meet the advertised functionality.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 01:20:50 PM »

Snowmarkeus while waiting uninstall the app and reinstall just in case it got corrupt.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Snowmarkeus

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

X10 responded with instructions to cycle the router, the wm100, and my phone and then try again. I am getting the same result.

Question: The WM100 goes through the same series of LED patterns over and over again. Solid blue for a bit, then slow blinking, then fast blinking. Does anyone know what that pattern means? When I went through the steps on the phone to connect the hub to the router (again), I pushed the sync button as instructed and then the lights blinked as expected, but it really just fell into that same pattern again.

I've reached back out to support again on this, but thought I'd add to my question here.

Thanks in advance to anyone with ideas/help on this!

Snowmarkeus

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »

Got a response on my latest issue and the fix they suggested WORKED!

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, we have had a few reports of issues such as this with the most recent batch of WM100 WiFi modules from the factory.  It is rare, but it seems on a few units, the back screw was tightened slightly too much and can cause the SYNC button to stick when pressed in.

This can easily be remedied by simply backing out the screw in between the prongs on the back of the unit.  Just a quarter to half turn with a screw driver and it releases that SYNC button and prevents it from sticking again.

I believe this may be your case.  If that does not remedy the issue, please let us know and we can process a replacement for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Roger S.
tech@x10.com
X10 Email Customer Service

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 07:00:26 PM »

... it seems on a few units, the back screw was tightened slightly too much and can cause the SYNC button to stick when pressed in.
Sounds like poor quality control, which compounded a design flaw.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »

What???? Loosen off a screw a quarter turn to free up the sync button. Hilarious as most manufacturers will advise that interfering with their units in any way will void your warranty.

Maybe the next batch will be sent in kit form with a screwdriver and self assembly instructions. I've never heard such amateurish practices in my life with a pre assembled unit from a factory. I wonder when it stops working again will they tell you to give it a bang with a hammer.  rofl

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »

Does not say much for the manufacturer's "End of Line" testing. Like they have NONE.
Which, assuming this manufacturer is the same that X10 WTI used in their later days...isn't surprising.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »

Sounds like the old X10WTI. Let the end user do the QC test when they purchase it.  ???

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »

Sounds like the old X10WTI. Let the end user do the QC test when they purchase it.  ???
It is the same manufacture building things  >*<
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Snowmarkeus

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »

Update...everything is now working well with the unit!! Two oddities though: 1) When using scenes, the devices do NOT seem to be starting and then dimming to the preset value...rather just starting. 2) Samsung Galaxy S7 Charger Block (just one of several in use here) is interfering with system and preventing some devices from responding. Whe it us un plugged, all works well. 🤔

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »

I was unaware the dimming option was even available in a scene yet. :o
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »

Update...everything is now working well with the unit!! Two oddities though: 1) When using scenes, the devices do NOT seem to be starting and then dimming to the preset value...rather just starting. 2) Samsung Galaxy S7 Charger Block (just one of several in use here) is interfering with system and preventing some devices from responding. Whe it us un plugged, all works well. 🤔

I had the same thing with a phone charger years ago. I sent it to Jeff Volp who ran some tests: http://jvde.us/x10/x10_cellet_noise.pdf
If you plug the charger into a filter you should be OK - otherwise try a different charger.  Is your's a Samsung branded or aftermarket charger? I haven't had any problems with the Sammy's.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.