Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What is the PiX10Hub?  (Read 29939 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
What is the PiX10Hub?
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:08:04 AM »

The PiX10Hub is not an Authinx designed product!
I was designed and created by members of the X10 community so your input will directly affect the direction this continues to go in.

The PiX10Hub is a colection of  open source programs that uses the combination of a Pi and a x10 pc interface.
The PiX10Hub has two open source programs currently preloaded and boots to an inital boot screen to setup time and location as well as a few other things. It is designed to (once set up) sit quietly in a corner handling all your HA requirements.
All HA (x10 & other protocol) configuration is done via a HomeGenie Web GUI.
Some Q&A:
1: Do I need any special skills?
No! PI knowledge is not required to get started nor do you need to go down the Linux rabbit hole (unless you wish too)
2: Will it replace the CM15A/AHP combo?
Yes, It already has for me.
3: Will it replace the WM100 and it's apps? 
rofl That wasn't hard to do, Yes!
4: Do I still need a Computer?
For initial setup, so yes!
However afterwards any device that has a browser can connect to it via Wi-Fi.
You may wish to connect wirelessly every so often to do safe shutdown and backup the SD card, although it is possible to do regular backups of the configuration of the two HA programs via another device.
5: What x10 interfaces are supported with the image?
The PiX10Hub was created arround using a CM15a, however it is possible to use the CM11, CM17, and CM19 with some tinkering.
Want to know more?
Just ask! ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:48:36 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: What is the PiX10Hub?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:58:54 PM »

And remember folks once the Pi X10 hub is up and running you can leave it hidden away as you do currently with your CM15. Little or no extra power required to leave it running 24/7, it's quiet, no motors or fans running etc. You no longer need batteries in your CM15 either. All the intelligence is stored on the SD card in the Pi. And as Tuicemen states, it's yours the X10 community to configure as you will. Once you Pi arrives you're ready to go.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »

The testers realy are doing a fantastic job of finding issues.
Some of these possible issues users may encounter are not that of the image but more the other softwares being used. Those issues have been submitted to the prospective developers and are on the lists of adds.
In the mean time we have found work arounds for those issues should users experience them before they are addressed in the softwares.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »

So...........I am interested in this. Currently I am using an older laptop. 2G on a LAN to stream all my TV needs and run Home Genie.

I am running Cinnamon. I want to split these up and think that a Pi would be the best thing to run my Automation. What I would love to do is put this in a box somewhere with a CM15 that I have and just run it off of a breaker in case I needed to reboot it. Remote access. Etc.

One box for the Automation. One box for the TV.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:53:08 AM »

What I would love to do is put this in a box somewhere with a CM15 that I have and just run it off of a breaker in case I needed to reboot it. Remote access. Etc.

The nice thing with a Pi Zero W which this project was originaly created for, is it will fit inside a CM15. And no soldering skills are required unless you wish to connect the USB inside the Cm15 to cut down on external wires. However you can also get very short USB cords from Amazon, ebay,or your local computer shop.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:50:25 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »

I would be very careful with the X10PiHub and a breaker.
Cycling the power to the Pi Zero W has lead to corrupt SD cards if a proper shutdown is not done first.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »

I would be very careful with the X10PiHub and a breaker.
Cycling the power to the Pi Zero W has lead to corrupt SD cards if a proper shutdown is not done first.
There are several DIY projects for shutdown buttons and even premade add on boards to allow for safe shutdowns.
Myself I have my Pi connected to a UPS in case of a power blip this will last for days with only the Pi running. This also gives me plenty of time to do a remote in safe shutdown.
Although I've not attempted to create a Safe Shutdown widget for HG it is possible to do this from HA-Bridge. I did include how to create this voice activated safe shutdown in the HA-Bridge setup thread.
For those that don't have any Alexa Devices this can still be used by opening HA-Bridge and click a software on or off button. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »

With the use of an APC UPS and apcupsd, you can set up the RPi to shut down automatically, too.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »

With the use of an APC UPS and apcupsd, you can set up the RPi to shut down automatically, too.

That raises the issue of another USB connection which by default the ZeroW only has one :(
A USB multi port powered hub I'm assuming will work in this case but some have fried their Zero W board playing with a powered hub  ::) :' There is also the option of adding a USB hat to the zero W or soldering on an extra USB cable to the solder pads. All of which many will not attempt. :(
Of coarse if you have the PiX10Hub running on a different Pi (and some have had success with this ) then you might have free USB ports ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »

I saw an interesting four port USB adapter for a Pi Zero.
It is shaped like a Pi Zero or Pi Zero W. Mounts on the back side of the Pi Zero and has four connectors that contact four of the test pads on the back side. No soldering needed and it was updated for the PI Zero W as its RF signals where interfering with it. If Pi powered it can do 500ma total current.

I have a Micro USB to four USB adapter. It can be externally powered but as pointed out. Can damage the PI Zero W. They said best to open the case and disconnect the Red wire that probably connects the Pi connectors 5 volts to the external adapter supply when used.

The CM15A uses it own power so it should not draw much current from an adapter. Can't say about a CM19A or an UPS USB interface to computer for monitoring.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »

If power flickering is the concern and not an all out black out, you don't need the service anyway.  But, if that were the case, someone here also suggested a power bank that can both charge and provide power concurrently.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »

If power flickering is the concern and not an all out black out, you don't need the service anyway.  But, if that were the case, someone here also suggested a power bank that can both charge and provide power concurrently.

I'm one of the people who mentioned it and I found that RavPower has a line of "pass-through" chargers. https://goo.gl/5BWJud
I ordered the 6700mah RP-PB060 which is about the same size as the PiZ. With coupon code RP15SAS entered at checkout the cost is only $12.74 + tax with free shipping (cheaper than on Amazon).

I'll post results when it arrives later this week.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:13:19 PM by brobin »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »

The RavPower RP-PB060 arrived today and is now working with the PI.  I can confirm that it appears to be charging while powering the Pi. The first time I tested I had plugged the power supply into the powerbank first and then the Pi. The 1st time I turned off the power supply the Pi went off. Uh-Oh!  So then, with the Pi already plugged into the powerbank, I turned the power supply back on and, after the Pi had finished booting, turned it off again. It worked - the Pi remained on through multiple on/off cycles.  I'll check it again later to ensure that the powerbank is maintaining a full charge.

JBL11554

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »

Where and how do you get the PiX10Hub.  I looked at the X10.com site and it doesn't exist.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »

Where and how do you get the PiX10Hub.  I looked at the X10.com site and it doesn't exist.

It is not an Authnix product so it will not be on the X10 sales site.
The first post in this thread will tell you it is a X10 user developed device.

This section here has most of the details and what is used to create it and a SD card Image to get you going.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?board=165.0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.