Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The X10Hub (PiX10Hub) is here! Created by the Community, for the Community.:)% #:)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Easy intergation of Alexa into the PiX10Hub  (Read 1030 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 264
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
Easy intergation of Alexa into the PiX10Hub
« on: December 16, 2018, 05:46:24 PM »

Many want an easy integration of  Alexa for their X10 setup.
The PiX10Hub has Alexa integration but it currently isn't an easy go for a newbie. Enter the HA-Bridge helper tools, this provides easy integration of your X10 modules into HA-Bridge once setup in HomeGenie it reads the HomeGenie data and loads all devices and you select the modules you wish to control with Alexa. This can save hours of manually entering device addresses and names.
 Sounds Cool right?
Big problem the HA-Bridge developer sees it as such an easy add and since I'm the only one requesting this they decided it will be done later! :o
I guess with only one user requesting this there is no hurry.
I asked all of the beta testers to add a I want this to comment to the request thread but all are so busy (I guess playing with the PiX10Hub ) no one has bumped this up. If you would like to see this add your voice to the thread  https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues/1032 or you can be like the testers and be content entering things manually. ::) :'
Maybe if enough users state they want this and are waiting for it we'll see it before the new year!
I started the ball rolling!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 01:41:49 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
Re: Easy intergation of Alexa into the PiX10Hub
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 03:43:44 PM »

When I originally looked into HG and started playing arround with it I found several ways of connecting to a Philips hue bridge.
one was an built in HG Program which looked very simular to how HA-Bridge commands were recieved A quick modification to that allowed me to talk to the HA-Bridge from HG not 100% what I was looking for but a start.

I found another down loadable HG user created program that looked simular to what HA-Bridge did less all the bloated ware.
This I thought would be exactly what I and many here would be interested in as it detected HG devices and made them discoverable to Alexa  ( no extra configuring of modules or names) :)%
Problem was I could never get it to work B:(
Gene has been working on some options to allow Alexa to see selected HG devices recently so I though maybe I'll give this another go. After all my HG experiance and understanding is far more advanced now then it was.
Don't get me wrong I love HA-Bridge but running two servers on a little pi I feel may be a bit much for it. This route would eleminate a server and be much easier to setup for Alexa (& not just for newbies).

I'm having some success so I feel HA-Bridge days as being part of the PiX10Hub downloadable image may be limited.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:17:35 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »

I've been running the PXH for a few days now with out HA-Bridge running.
My Alexa integration and response is as good as it was prior to not running HA-Bridge. In fact response time may even be faster, which I had suspected with only one server in operation on the Pi ZeroW.
For this reason I'll include the HomegenieEchoBridge interface interface preinstalled with PXH 1.2

It is possible for end users to uninstall (or just Disable) HA-Bridge and install this but it is best done if your comfortable with HG.
The setup of this interface is simple enough but device discover does take longer then with HA-Bridge.
It will require you to open the Alexa app or web page and clear all devices then do a rediscover which in my case took several attempts. I suspect this is what may have caused me to abandon it in the first place. I suggest letting the HomegenieEchoBridge interface run in HG overnight before attempting a rediscover of devices with Alexa.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:31:37 PM »

Here is a bit of a walk through for installing HomeGenieEchoBridge

1: download the following to your pc
https://github.com/davidwallis3101/HomegenieEchoBridge/releases/download/HomegenieEchoBridge-v1.0.21/MIG-EchoBridge.zip
2: once download is completed open Homegenie in your web browser from same PC the downloaded file is on.
3: In HG click on configure then settings
4: in settings click on actions then install interface
5: browse for the file you uploaded and install it (this may take a while depending on your Pi connection)
6: once installed restart the HG service and then go back to settings the Echo Bridge should appear there now
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:37:34 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 02:46:57 PM »

Setting up HomeGenieEchoBridge
1: open HG click on configure then settings
2: Click on the + echo bridge and enter port and IP of HG pi machine
3:to the right slide the disable button so it reads enable then click home at the bottom center
4: if you have Ha-Bridge running disable it
5: open your Alexa app and go to devices and click forget.
6:wait a few mins then click discover devices
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 03:25:33 PM »

Does it support dimming?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »

I have no idea if the device is configured as a dimming device i would expect so.  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 07:55:32 PM »

Here is a bit of a walk through for installing HomeGenieEchoBridge

Mr. T...thank you so much for doing this...and I'll try hard not to overthink the instructions! :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »

The interface realy does all the work which explains why the install takes so long without any notifications. There is no need to unzip the file which is where I suspect some may make that mistake.
There is a thread on Homegenie.club dealing with this so that thread may provide some extra info if it doesnt confuse you.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:35:03 AM »

Thanks for the instructions. Even I should be able to follow them, ....maybe! And thanks for the headsup on not unzipping! I will give it a try when my new Pi zero arrives. :)%

alzy

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »

When you say to disable HA bridge do you simply mean go to bridge control and stop the bridge or is there a way to keep it from loading at all?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »

You can totaly disable HA-Bridge by typing command :
sudo systemctl disable ha-bridge.service
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 08:10:45 AM »

When you say this has better response time, does it mean the action is done faster (so the time between speaking to Alexa and when the light goes on or off is faster)?  Does this also eliminate the issue where Alexa responds "device isn't responding" but the action happens anyway ?

I've had my PiX10Hub up and running for a few weeks now and it has been running smooth - aside from the "device not responding" from time to time.

I'm willing to give this a try but also don't want to mess up what seems to be working wonderfully so far.  Lastly, I have not had to get into the linux commands since first installing everything.  How do we get to the point where we can issue the command noted to disable the HA-Bridge (the sudo etc command) ?

Thanks as always :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »

When you say this has better response time, does it mean the action is done faster (so the time between speaking to Alexa and when the light goes on or off is faster)?  Does this also eliminate the issue where Alexa responds "device isn't responding" but the action happens anyway ?
Unfortunately I still occasionally get the Alexa response "device isn't responding" but the device still comes on. However most times when I ask to turn something on/off the action is done well before the "OK" response.
I've had my PiX10Hub up and running for a few weeks now and it has been running smooth - aside from the "device not responding" from time to time.

I'm willing to give this a try but also don't want to mess up what seems to be working wonderfully so far.  Lastly, I have not had to get into the linux commands since first installing everything.  How do we get to the point where we can issue the command noted to disable the HA-Bridge (the sudo etc command) ?
My suggestion would be to make a backup of your current SD card (you should have one anyways) then you can just swap out cards.
To do Linux command line entries (the sudo thing) you can either SSH in using PuTTY (recommended) or connect the HDMI and key board, in the black screen just type in the command and hit enter (it doesn't matter the folder your in)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

joealonso

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 09:50:56 AM »

HI,
Thank you for the work and information. Very helpful indeed!
I am confused, however.
Following the instructions, I downloaded and installed HG on a Win10 PC. It connect via browser LOCAL_IP//hg/html/index.html
Sees to work, Cool! (I say seems, because no X10 modules are yet connected.)
What my goal is: Alexa to X10 control.
So, it would seem I need to run a Linux server (?) with a Bridge (HA-Bridge?)
Or can HG and the HA-bridge run on the same Win10 PC?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.