Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Re: PiX10Hub setup Tutorial  (Read 16991 times)

edjal

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: PiX10Hub setup Tutorial
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 06:30:47 PM »

Thank You all for your replies, I really appreciate it.  After re reading Tuicemens instructions I realized I had to download that image and I have done so. I was not able to figure out configuring yet and the config splash screen no longer comes up. Is there a way to get the config screen up?

edjal

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »

No need to reply to this I have come across a tuicemen post informing how to get into config screen

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 09:13:44 PM »

i amtrying to setup Pi following newby instructions splash screen never appears no power light indicator so I called vilros Mfg for support they want me to download NOOBS to the mini SD they claim Pi wont boot without it. Is NOOBS and the image one and the same?
noobs is  not on the image, nor is it required
You will not get a splash screen if your using the PiX10hub 2.0 version intended for Pis that are not a Zero W.
The pi needs the SD card inserted into the SD slot with the image already written to it.
Both images include Raspbian Stretch lite so you don't need to download from link petera supplied unless you wish to install HG manually yourself.
 >!

Unless you've updated that image recently there's been a number of changes to the Raspbian firmware/kernel particularly where the wpa_supplicant.conf is concerned and there's been changes to SSL validation. I've built my own Raspbian kernel as a result.

Maybe your image is still valid but links to repositories are beginning to change and I'm already pulling in Debian Buster repositories for other purposes. Mono will probably be the hardest hit here and if the HomeGenie author doesn't get the finger out the same problems like email notifications etc will become an issue.

I'm too many years using Linux using all of its flavours to know when there's a major release of Debian you sit up and take note. I've been through HG on Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch and now with the impending arrival of Buster you either stay current or die. It's entirely up to you.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2019, 07:01:39 AM »

All OSs require updates to keep up with advancements. Updating Linux is no different. However I continue to read recent post of users still using wheesy and wondering why things stop working in their setup. :o ::) :'
The image was last updated when the version of HG that is on it was released. True this still does not have all the current drivers. That is up to the end user to keep up with.
That being said I do plan to update the image shortly after the next Raspbian version is officialy released. This will include either the latest HG (if Gene releases a newer version) or a modified version I run which fixes issues with the Open Weather Map.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »

True this still does not have all the current drivers. That is up to the end user to keep up with.

But I thought the whole point of the hub was to make it transparent to the user.  In the docs for the hub it never says "if you don't maintain the distribution things will stop working."  Having used HG for years, I understand that this will happen and have accepted that if I don't work on it at least once a month I will lose functionality.  The user base for the hub is not going to perform any updates ever unless they have it built in.  Since the process can't really be done that way and the system will stop working without updates...

edjal

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

I have been playing w HG ver. 1.3-stable.5 up until now and am ready to complete RPi image install and I see Tuicemen states HG is part of the image so do I uninstall HG from my desktop before RPi image install and  just use a HG backup I created to re establish my macros and schedules in HG that is part of image?

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »

I have been playing w HG ver. 1.3-stable.5 up until now and am ready to complete RPi image install and I see Tuicemen states HG is part of the image so do I uninstall HG from my desktop before RPi image install and  just use a HG backup I created to re establish my macros and schedules in HG that is part of image?

If you decide to go with the image posted by Tuicemen you start fresh with a blank SD card. I'm not sure what additional macros/routines he has on this image but you can of course back up your current config and restore it on Tuicemens image as soon as you have installed it.

The caveat still remains of course. Tuicemens image will have an older version of Raspbian Stretch Lite (assuming its Raspbian Stretch Lite he used and not the Desktop version) and older firmware too. You'll need to update your install to reflect this.

I still recommend installing HG from official sources and building and testing your own setup. You can easily obtain assistance from the many HG help sources on the web and of course from here.

The idea of an Pi HG X10 hub as a plug'n'go appliance is more of an aspiration rather that a reality with HG in its current form. A lot more work would need to be done on the core code as well as the introduction of some form of integrated hardware/software solution which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

In the meantime I suggest you experiment with the HG application as much as possible and try out the many routines available out in the wild until you find a setup that suits you.

edjal

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »

once I complete step 7tuicemen newbie pi setup instructions I do not get a screen prompt to finish instead I get x10$ with a blinking prompt. any idea what im doing wrong

edjal

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »

after the pi boot up when x10hub has the blinking cursor one of the line descriptions reads "failed to startdhcpcd on all interfaces" not sure if significant

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »

When the pi is booted you will only see a command prompt there is no GUI. You need to use a browser from another device pointed to the pis ip and GH port. However since you are seeing an error on booting it sounds like you missed a step in the setup like setting up your routers connection.  Type sudo raspi-config and check your settings
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Kamextemy

Re PiX10Hub setup Tutorial
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2019, 12:30:36 AM »

it fails on the initial setup process just after downloading the program. ive already tried rebooting the pc but it still fails. im not sure if there is something in my pc preventing the setup.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2019, 06:57:59 AM »

This is ment for a Rpi not Pc.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dkbialik

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »

Okay, I need some assistance.  I decided to try pix10 after Alex10 stopped working.  I put together the Raspberry Pi W as specified.  Downloaded and installed the software as specified. but I just get a pi@raspberry screen.  I never see the splash or the menu.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2019, 06:44:08 AM »

What pi are you downloading to and whick hub version are you attempting to use?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dkbialik

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »

I am using the Pi W and am using the Alexa Pi image that you had posted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.