Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few Setup Issues  (Read 1770 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
A few Setup Issues
« on: December 23, 2018, 09:27:12 AM »

Good morning all,

New to the HomeGenie world - have been using AHP for my X10 setup for quite awhile now, started updating things over the last year or so with the addition of a few Alexa and the wonderful Alex10 interface.

I am preparing to migrate things to a Raspberry Pi and as part of the preliminary work have been trying to set up HomeGenie.  Tuicemen has been most helpful to date.

So I have things setup on a desktop currently, and ran into a few snafus this morning hoping I can get some assistance with:

1) I updated the IP address and Post in the HomeGenie settings, and I can get to that new location on the Desktop but I cannot access it via my android phone.  Not sure what I am missing.

2) I also tried "installing" the "HomeGenie  Android Master".  I got it downloaded and tried a few things to "install" but really not sure what I'm supposed to do.  Its possible if I get #1 resolved I will not need this, but seemed like it would be worth playing around.

3) I installed the OpenWeather widget to replace the Weather Underground one.  I ended up finding that I needed to register for my own API key, which I did, and updated that in the widget settings, but its still not displaying - its possible the api key has not been activated yet and once it is that will be all set, but not sure what else I may need to do here.

4) Lastly (at least for now) I deleted out all the default devices and scheduler entries - or so I thought.  I now have only the OpenWeather widget and two X10 switches for lights defined (which do work) that appear on my Dashboard.  However, I keep seeing this popup notification about "Boiler Switch: every few minutes and not sure where its coming from.

There is a lot of documentation around on some of this stuff, but it seems a bit scattered and I'm unfortunately trying to speed thru the setup while I have a few free minutes here and there.

Thanks

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: A few Setup Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:01:03 AM »

I commend you for attempting to do a setup while waiting for your Pi ZeroW to arrive.
You'll benefit from doing this a lot.
1: I'd look at your windows firewall rules 90% of the time this is the issue also make sure your HG port is not the same as what another software may be using. HA-Bridge which Alex10 interfaces with is most likely on that machine so they can't have the same port.
2: I did try a HG app on my phone (not the paid version) but I prefer the web UI so if you get the above fixed you may also have the same feeling.
3: The Open Weather widget is what most will use as the weather underground has started to charge for their API key.
 I actually find it to have more options anyways. Be sure you have your location set the same as that of HG I suspect the issue maybe the APi key just isn't activated yet but I thought that was pretty much automated.
4: the Boiler pop up your seeing is due to it being setup as a demo in the initial HG load.
I believe you need to deactivate the basic thermostat program but it may be linked to something else.
If I remember I deactivated it for the HG included in the PiX10Hub.

Users such as your self may find a HG backup of what is initially on the Pix10Hub to be useful.
I'll see about getting that posted.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 10:23:06 AM »

For the web access - I did indeed need to add a rule to the firewall on my desktop even though the port was defined in the router.  I created 2 new Rules - one for TCD and one for UDP to allow access to the port I am using (8080) and I got prompted for the password I had setup.  Once defined it appeared :)

The Weather widget appears to be working now too.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »

To do Homegenie on a Windows install takes the project down a different road. The whole point of the Pi X10 hub was to break the dependency with the MS operating system and to do this all on a single board computer. Maybe I misunderstood this at the start.

The moment you start answering questions on HG in Windows the attitude will be ........sure I have a PC so I don't need a Raspberry Pi I can install it on Windows and the whole concept of the Pi X10 Hub falls flat on its face.

Of course I'm 90% sure most of those PCs will have AHP installed on them and herein lies the problem.......X10 drivers and conflicts.

As for Android clients, firewalls etc on Windows you could spend a day answering one query.

I really do advise that you hold on till your Raspberry Pi arrives. This is a completely new approach to X10 on this forum and it's forward we need to go not backward.

soxfan1966

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion - but the point was to get the HomeGenie setup accomplished so it could be copied over to the Pi once it arrives and I have loaded the image from Tuicemen on it.   In fact it was he who encouraged me to try and plod along with the setup while waiting for it to arrive.

I personally see no harm in this approach and appreciate any assistance more experienced members can give in this endeavor.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »

To do Homegenie on a Windows install takes the project down a different road. The whole point of the Pi X10 hub was to break the dependency with the MS operating system and to do this all on a single board computer. Maybe I misunderstood this at the start.
This was the point of the Hub however if users decide to use a PC with HG to get prepared and speed up setup time for when their Pi Arrives I'm all for that.
The moment you start answering questions on HG in Windows the attitude will be ........sure I have a PC so I don't need a Raspberry Pi I can install it on Windows and the whole concept of the Pi X10 Hub falls flat on its face.
I disagree. Many want a way to break away from using a PC and having it running 24/7. The benefits from running ones HA setup on a PI verses a PC are vast. Eventual posts in the PiX10Hub section will expose those.

Of course I'm 90% sure most of those PCs will have AHP installed on them and herein lies the problem.......X10 drivers and conflicts.
As for Android clients, firewalls etc on Windows you could spend a day answering one query.
True. I'm not about to trouble shoot ones Window setup.
I really do advise that you hold on till your Raspberry Pi arrives. This is a completely new approach to X10 on this forum and it's forward we need to go not backward.
I on the other hand encourage users to have a look at HG on Windows. But keep in mind issues will arise if you have AHP installed. The PiX10Hub will free up your PC and allow you to run independent of it users have been looking to do this with their Cm15a hassle free for years but always have to reconnect every so often and replace batteries.
 users setting up on a PC then moving to the PiX10Hub is not a step backwards.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »

This was the point of the Hub however if users decide to use a PC with HG to get prepared and speed up setup time for when their Pi Arrives I'm all for that.
I disagree. Many want a way to break away from using a PC and having it running 24/7. The benefits from running ones HA setup on a PI verses a PC are vast. Eventual posts in the PiX10Hub section will expose those.

True. I'm not about to trouble shoot ones Window setup.
I on the other hand encourage users to have a look at HG on Windows. But keep in mind issues will arise if you have AHP installed. The PiX10Hub will free up your PC and allow you to run independent of it users have been looking to do this with their Cm15a hassle free for years but always have to reconnect every so often and replace batteries.
 users setting up on a PC then moving to the PiX10Hub is not a step backwards.

Are we going to include those who are running HG on the Mac, in Ubuntu, Linux Mint etc etc. The list is endless. And of course support those who are running HA Bridge on those platforms too.

This was supposed to be an integrated and seamless approach. Once you open up to these non integrated platforms it's just a simple cut and paste install from the www.homegenie.it website.

The parameters laid out from the start and the focus of this project was a Pi X10 Hub on the Raspberry Pi Zero W with a CM15 X10 controller using a combination of HomeGenie and Ha Bridge. That was clearly agreed. If that approach has changed I wasn't aware of it. I am now though.

Just for the record there is some wonderful how to information out there on HG contrary to what the OP has stated. The old homegenie forum and the Homegenie.Club and Genes extensive documentation on the homegenie.it website and numerous how to videos on YouTube to mention but a few.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:56:32 PM »

Are we going to include those who are running HG on the Mac, in Ubuntu, Linux Mint etc etc. The list is endless. And of course support those who are running HA Bridge on those platforms too.
If is user running those systems are going to move the PiX10Hub I'm all for it. ;) I certainly am not going to ask what OS a user is running HG on for every question asked. ::)
This was supposed to be an integrated and seamless approach.
This still is and if a user can port over their setup from another OS it is even more seamless
Once you open up to these non integrated platforms it's just a simple cut and paste install from the www.homegenie.it website.
That was and still is there however the number of users that had issues with that are still there.
This takes all the work of that away and reduces the possibility of failure to next to nothing.
This is in no way stops someone from moving away from the PiX10Hub I'm confident users will stick with what we have created.
The parameters laid out from the start and the focus of this project was a Pi X10 Hub on the Raspberry Pi Zero W with a CM15 X10 controller using a combination of HomeGenie and Ha Bridge. That was clearly agreed. If that approach has changed I wasn't aware of it. I am now though.
I'm not sure how that this thread affects that. The Goal was to make this as easy for a newbie to grasp as possible But if your afraid of me posting the HG layout of the PiX10Hub will discourage users from moving to it, it makes me and many others wonder Why? Is it you feel this isn't what X10users actually want or are looking for?

I'm confident enough that what we put together is what they want and have been looking for, for some time now.
However I'll not post the HG X10 layout templet that, the macro and timer samples in it. Users will have to wait till they load the image for it.
Just for the record there is some wonderful how to information out there on HG contrary to what the OP has stated. The old homegenie forum and the Homegenie.Club and Genes extensive documentation on the homegenie.it website and numerous how to videos on YouTube to mention but a few.

Actually the statement was not that there is no info but
There is a lot of documentation around on some of this stuff, but it seems a bit scattered and I'm unfortunately trying to speed thru the setup.....
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »

>!
If is user running those systems are going to move the PiX10Hub I'm all for it. ;) I certainly am not going to ask what OS a user is running HG on for every question asked. ::)
This was supposed to be an integrated and seamless approach.
This still is and if a user can port over their setup from another OS it is even more seamless
Once you open up to these non integrated platforms it's just a simple cut and paste install from the www.homegenie.it website.
That was and still is there however the number of users that had issues with that are still there.
This takes all the work of that away and reduces the possibility of failure to next to nothing.
This is in no way stops someone from moving away from the PiX10Hub I'm confident users will stick with what we have created.
I'm not sure how that this thread affects that. The Goal was to make this as easy for a newbie to grasp as possible But if your afraid of me posting the HG layout of the PiX10Hub will discourage users from moving to it, it makes me and many others wonder Why? Is it you feel this isn't what X10users actually want or are looking for?

I'm confident enough that what we put together is what they want and have been looking for, for some time now.
However I'll not post the HG X10 layout templet that, the macro and timer samples in it. Users will have to wait till they load the image for it.

Actually the statement was not that there is no info but
There is a lot of documentation around on some of this stuff, but it seems a bit scattered and I'm unfortunately trying to speed thru the setup.....

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.