Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Alexa issue  (Read 10364 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Alexa issue
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 04:11:24 PM »

Petra,

Yes, I read your post earlier.  The problem is that some of the terminology is not clear - it can be especially confusing when HG has 2 versions of the same thing (the integrated Alexa Interface and the HA-Bridge Program).

So my question to Tuicemen was to just ask for clarification on what he had working.  Then based on what he responded he had working I asked if its possible to get the integrated interface to work on port 80 without a password.

My Pi with HG has been running smooth for almost a year (it may actually be longer than that now) and when something goes wrong I want to try and fix it.

I see nothing wrong with the question I asked nor with the reply I got from Tuicemen.  He is always every helpful, and I know I personally try to get as much information from his as I can (and I am sure others do as well).  He comes across as very knowledgeable and very friendly / helpful.

The goal of this type of forum is to help people.  We all share a similar interest and the best way to educate people is to share information and get questions answered.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »

There’s no confusion. The internal program you refer to is called HG EchoBridge which I mentioned is broken no matter what port you point it at or if you use password protection or not

The HA Bridge which I assume is the one from BWS Sytems that you are referring to has nothing to do with the HG software and is an external bridge installed outside of the HG program using a third party connection. If you search under HA Bridge and BWS Systems you will see the difficulties they are experiencing with their Hue emulator too.

Asking Mr T for a solution because you don’t like my answer is neither here nor there to me but I thought he had already in part answered your question as did I. I suppose you can keep asking the same question and hope for a different answer but unless Mr T has a solution to solving the problem with the internal HG EchoBridge program I doubt your answer will be any different.

What I did suggest was to direct your query to the HomeGenie Club forum in the hope that the author of the HG EchoBridge May see it and be good enough to respond to you as he is a member there and not here. It’s entirely up to you.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »

I've  not tried to use (get working) the integrated echo bridge on HG. HA-Bridge has always done a much better job however many had isses configuring It with HG. That has changed with the latest update.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »

I've  not tried to use (get working) the integrated echo bridge on HG. HA-Bridge has always done a much better job however many had isses configuring It with HG. That has changed with the latest update.

I’m assuming you are behind a VPN or some form of proxy and don’t have your Pi exposed using port 80. I wonder do others know the risks of having port 80 exposed to the web.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2019, 08:00:42 AM »

I’m assuming you are behind a VPN or some form of proxy and don’t have your Pi exposed using port 80. I wonder do others know the risks of having port 80 exposed to the web.
I don't have HG on port 80 HA-Bridge is  but not exposed to the Web, it it is like HG configured with the security enabled. I can't access HA-Bridge from the web nor do I need to.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2019, 09:40:44 AM »

Good morning,

With some assistance from Tuicemen, I was able to get the latest version of HA Bridge installed on my PiX10Hub and up and running - I installed the version with the Home Genie Helper which was great and made setup even easier (I updated the post on the Home Genie helper with some info / steps I followed for that = http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=31024.0).

I then used the tab at the top in HA Bridge for "My Echo", signed into the device and used the Discover Devices from there (verbally asking Alexa to Discover Devices didn't find any) and all of my Home Genie Devices are there.

I then tested by asking Alex to Turn On one of the lights, and it worked.  I did get the "Device Not Responding" reply from Alex but it did work (and the light turned on, and then off when I asked to turn it off again).

So looks like I am back up and running with Alexa.  Will see how things shake out over the next few days.

mike1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:54 AM »

Hi

Need help which is the latest alex10 and what java version works together. Issue is alexa is not finding new devices?
And also is the bwsystems bridge be an issue. I had alexa working for a bit last night. Then it stopped communicating.   Appreciate your help.   This is running on a pc.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »

If alexa was working last night then stopped chances are it is on Amazons end or your network connection.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »

If alexa was working last night then stopped chances are it is on Amazons end or your network connection.

On Amazon end? I've been using the Alexa devices pretty much from the very beginning. NEVER EVEN ONCE..... has the devices dropped at Amazons end. I'd say... the odds are against that happening.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2019, 06:34:57 PM »

On Amazon end? I've been using the Alexa devices pretty much from the very beginning. NEVER EVEN ONCE..... has the devices dropped at Amazons end. I'd say... the odds are against that happening.
Well then your a lucky man. The Amazon Alexa app (on Android at least) has had issues for some time. If your only using skills there seems to be no issues with Amazon Alexa.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2019, 11:36:14 PM »

....The Amazon Alexa app (on Android at least) has had issues for some time. If your only using skills there seems to be no issues with Amazon Alexa.

Well admittedly... I am an iphone user. But (correct me if I am wrong) isn't EVERY Alexa device (DOTS and such) an android device?

Are you posting that android PHONES have issues? I don't think we can blame Amazon for the phones out there.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »

I don't have a dog in the fight, but it appears that Tuicemen is suggesting the Android apps that people are using are not currently working.  I believe the Amazon devices are Android based.  But, all of these devices run software which would need to be updated to work with the updates Amazon is releasing.  I think it's a little contrived to suggest an entire ecosystem of phones is broken because Amazon is taking measures to enforce how users interact with the device they sell.  Certainly the software on those phones and other devices might need updating.

Just an observation:  HA Dave seems to be very critical of words some people use about his beloved technology but the same doesn't apply to him.  Interesting....

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2019, 01:22:13 PM »

No dog fight! The app has some issues but so far users have found work arrounds. A example the forget all devices doesnt work though it appears to. This also effects some skills. To find out if a specific skill is affected simply disable it the forget all then do a discover devices. Alexa will still see devices from that skill even though it can't possibly.to go one step further you could delete a device found in the skill and remove it from your setup totaly then do a rediscover and see if it is still seen. I as well as others have reported this issue in various threads. Another problem due to how Amazon releases updates and patches to the Alexa app is some may not see the issue appear or disappear when first reports appear and some like Dave may never notice a issue at all thus they are the lucky ones.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »

Hi
Is any having issues giving alexa commands tk devices. When i issue a command alexa replies I couldnt find a device or group when its clearly showing in the alexa defices. Now if I repeat it several tjmes it works. Thks,began happening  a little over s week? Anyone having these,issues? Ans anymadvice,rk correct?

Thxs
Mike

IPS

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2019, 03:59:33 AM »

Tried it many times. Alexa discovers all the devices and also responds to the command but nothing happens. Seems like either the command does not reach the device or the device does not responds. All X10 devices are listed in Alexa device list as”new device”. After the command pop up says “device not responsive”
So now am back to using X10 commander on my iPhone and Alexa for other comparable devices.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.