Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The X10Hub (PiX10Hub) is here! Created by the Community, for the Community.:)% #:)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: pix10hub on a cm19a capable Pi  (Read 1742 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 19
Re: pix10hub on a cm19a capable Pi
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 05:53:34 PM »

No I didn't but I can look into that!

Makes no sense having a GUI installed on the SD card even if it is disabled. HG is a web based Api server and you should never need to connect to it for its GUI capabilities. All done from the Terminal locally if needed or an SSH remotely.

At this stage now that some are a lot more comfortable in the Linux(Raspbian in this case) environment and plans are afoot to ditch HA Bridge server in favour of HG EchoBridge it might be best to use a few copy/paste commands to install Raspbian on an SD card and the HG server software. This will ensure that users only receive software/firmware relevant to their own Raspberry Pi model on initial installation.

The simple fact is that the Pi Zero W is fine for a simple applications but, dare i use the term, for "power users" the standard Raspberry Pi model is the way forward. Maybe the goal was blindsided by the desire for a compact unit in favour of functionality and operability.

Now that everything will be integrated into HG maybe the need for a customised downloadable image will be less important than was initially anticipated. The copy/paste method really is fairly straightforward.

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:23 AM »

I confess to being linux challenged! Can you give a bit more detail on"copy/paste" method to install Reapbian lite and HG on an sd. From there we have great instructions for installing the HGE bridge. I would like to give that a try before giving up on the Pi ZW. I must say that personally I would not be happy with a setup that takes several seconds to turn on a light with a voice command or where Alexa says "device does not respond" and light turns on seconds later.
I guess I am just spoiled by the stellar response time and reliability of my current Alex10 install.

Thanks for any help! :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 263
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »

I confess to being linux challenged! Can you give a bit more detail on"copy/paste" method to install Reapbian lite and HG on an sd. From there we have great instructions for installing the HGE bridge. I would like to give that a try before giving up on the Pi ZW. I must say that personally I would not be happy with a setup that takes several seconds to turn on a light with a voice command or where Alexa says "device does not respond" and light turns on seconds later.
I guess I am just spoiled by the stellar response time and reliability of my current Alex10 install.

Thanks for any help! :)
download the Raspbian lite image  and write to a SD disk
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite_latest
once written to the disk if you plan to access via SSH and Putty you'll need to add a blank ssh file(no extention) and a wpa_supplicant.conf file (attached just rename removing the .txt extention). Edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file then place in your Pi and boot.
once you open putty and log into your pi you can simply copy and paste the below lines one at a time hitting enter after each.
Note: login is user: pi password: raspberry
At the terminal type or paste sudo raspi-config
in the configuration screen expand your file system, set you time zone etc.
 once rebooted and logged back in use the  tutorial here starting at #3
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30427.msg174845#msg174845
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:36:19 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

alzy

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »

Thanks! That helps alot! :)%

alzy

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »

Hey, the good news is that I was able to follow instructions and install Raspbian Lite and HG. The bad news is device respond times can still be as long as about 8 seconds. I did not install HG Echo Bridge as yet. B:(

alzy

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 05:09:22 PM »

I disabled all programs and response is much better. Will need to do more testing tho. -:)
The HA bridge service is not running. Is that the way it should be?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:25:23 PM by alzy »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 05:49:00 PM »

I disabled all programs and response is much better. Will need to do more testing tho. -:)
The HA bridge service is not running. Is that the way it should be?
Correct HA-Bridge should not be running and will not run unless you enable it.
If you have not set your router to reserve the IP for that PI you should also do that and port forwarding (some routers consider this the same but it isn't) that may speed things up a bit too.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »

OK one more stupid question.  i have HGEcho bridge installed. The gui for HG is at 192.168.1.8 and is static. I do not need to enter a port number to access it just the ip. Does that mean its port 80 and that's the port to enter for the HGE Bridge setup? And should I port forward it in router?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:15:58 PM by alzy »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 06:21:01 PM »

80 is the port of HG unless you change it as no other server was detected when HG installed.
if you keep it at 80 then the HGEcho bridge port is 80 and the IP is that of your Pi.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

alzy

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 07:21:01 PM »

Alexa found devices but they do not respond and she reports that fact. What now? B:(

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »

Did you clear (forget) the old devices from Alexa prior to doing a discovery?
Let the Pi & HG run over night and do a device clear and rediscover in the morning.
It usualy takes a while for devices to sync in HG for some reason, At least for me they did.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2019, 05:59:46 AM »

Alexa found devices but they do not respond and she reports that fact. What now? B:(

If you look at the top right hand side of the screen you should see three circular icons. One is for X10, one for UPnP and one for Discovery. Is the Discovery icon greyed out.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 07:24:43 AM »

Actually you don't need the UPnP to be running it will slow things up on a Pi Zero W
You only want (need) the x10 and EchoBridge Icons showing.
I found my Pi needed a reboot to get Alexa working properly with the echo bridge So if that wasn't done try that. the service restart doesn't seem to get it working properly (at least not for me)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:36:58 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 10:19:31 AM »

For anyone struggling to get the EchoBridge working be mindful of the following

1. If you are an Alexa owner there's every chance you are already using listening ports to control your devices. You'll need to ensure you use a port in HG that no other service is using. Ports 8087 upwards are usually safe to use.

2. Do you have your HG system password protected. If so there's every chance you are getting a 401 unauthorised error code when enabling Discovery in HG. You can check this by running HG in debug mode. If this is the case clear your credentials in HG and re enable EchoBridge in HG.

3. It's not advisable to run the UPnP program in HG while running the EchoBridge so disable the UPnP program in HG

Installation and configuration of the EchoBridge program is poorly documented so a lot of trial and error was applied by users to get it working. Unfortunately these users never posted what worked for them.

Not being an Alexa user I only got a loan of one to try out today. Just to confirm, I used port 8087 in HG, disabled the UPnP program and deleted my HG security credentials (not too pleased about that. Ill have a look at the program to see if that can be changed)

I ran the Alexa discovery and all HG devices were discovered and respond to Alexa voice commands straightaway.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »

On the plus side for HG users here. This Alexa control using HG EchoBridge is purely a LAN operation. A nice bright sunny day and not a "cloud" in sight  rofl
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.