Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fun with Flags  (Read 10890 times)

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Fun with Flags
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 10:08:25 AM »

Glad to see someone else having Fun with Flags! Keep us posted! Thanks! >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 10:13:10 AM »

rofl
I personally do not see a need for these with (yet) HG, but who knows at some point maybe. ::) :'
Besides the flags being numbered you can also name them so guessing what they are for shouldn't be a problem.
 >!
Update:
After some thought on this I decided to add a poll for this, mostly out of curiosity.
Flags were added to AHP due to the number of conditions limit it had for macros which users were getting around by using x10 modules that they weren't using. However users soon found other uses for flags and as their setups grew they required the X10 addresses they set aside for flag use.

So then I though about it again and I can see a use for these. It can be used purely as a ease of multi macro setups. If I want several macros to have say a time of day trigger plus may be something else I can have those conditions trigger a flag then any thing else I wished to have watching those conditions I only need add the flag as the condition. This is a time saver when writing macros if nothing else.

I remember users requesting flags for PCC even though it also didn't have a macro condition limit. I don't remember the reason for the request or even if a reason was given but I did add the option. The program can be found in the User created HG Scripts section
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 09:25:13 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 06:34:34 PM »

I just don't understand the point of this.  Why not just use a parameter value?  The only reason I can see for using virtual modules is that it will automatically fire an event that can be used directly.  But, there are other ways that aren't hacks.  Meh, whatever.   >*<

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »

I just don't understand the point of this.  Why not just use a parameter value?  The only reason I can see for using virtual modules is that it will automatically fire an event that can be used directly.  But, there are other ways that aren't hacks.  Meh, whatever.   >*<
Sometimes you have use what users are familiar with to get them motivated! ::) :'
I suspect some will graduate past this but others won't.
If nothing else it will show users a bit more of how it is possible to customize HG .
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dave Mc

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 05:29:07 AM »

This is how I used a flag in AHP:  My porch light was set to turn on at dusk and then off at 10:00 pm.  Between 10:00 pm and dawn a MS14A motion sensor would trigger a macro.  The conditions were if it is night and flag 1 is set then turn on the porch light for 10 minutes then turn it off.  The MS14A was above the garage door facing the driveway so it was set to always send RF to the CM15a so headlights would not make the MS14A think it was day time when it was night.

I am sure HG can handle this without flags I just haven't taken the time to figure it out yet.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 12:30:10 PM »

Look at Advanced Smart Lights.  It does all of that and more.  It uses variables as needed rather than cluttering things up with virtual modules.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 12:35:47 PM »

Look at Advanced Smart Lights.  It does all of that and more.  It uses variables as needed rather than cluttering things up with virtual modules.
Maybe you could point Dave Mc to some documentation on your Advanced Smart Lights or explain how to set it up for him.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 03:24:37 PM »

https://github.com/bkenobi/HomeGenie_Apps

Install in HG
Under module you want to control, turn on ASL
Configure for appropriate modules as needed

Dave Mc

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 04:46:12 PM »

Install in HG

Thank you for the information.  Unfortunately I have never done coding and the 397 lines of code are way over my head.  I don't have time to look into this now, maybe sometime in the future.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 06:30:12 PM »

Install in HG
I thought this was already included in the HG distro but this looks like it is an updated version of Smart Lights meshing in a couple other repos. Nice work!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 06:45:46 PM »

Unfortunately I have never done coding and the 397 lines of code are way over my head.  I don't have time to look into this now, maybe sometime in the future.

This is a huge problem that some of the developers and code writers of HG/PiX10 need to deal with. You wouldn't say, "If you can't code you shouldn't use HG." It's a ridiculous statement that will turn future users off to the product. In fact, the average HA user can't bear the thought of stumbling through github.

Most of us are not coders, we don't want to be, we don't have the time, we are better racecar drivers than coders, any number of reasons. That's what macros, events, routines, etc are for. That's why there are automatic transmissions, because some people just can't deal with or don't want to deal with shifting gears, clutches, etc. Imagine how that would be with today's ten speed automatics. They don't make ten speed manuals that require another leg to operate. The technology for transmissions went where the users wanted it to go, not the manufacturers. The manufacturers simply developed what they sold more of and what their competitors sold more of.

The "users" of HA don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time just to get light A1 to come on 30 minutes before sunset, adjust automatically for DST, brighten when someone rings the doorbell, then return to where it was after a few minutes. Never mind not shutting off at dawn if it's totally overcast.

Tuicemen is right. Flags are coming to HG because the users want it. The same will go for many other things as long as ease of operation is kept front and center. Flags are really there already at least for me as virtual devices, which is what I'm used to. Call it what you want, it's another option and the end user will pick the method that's most convenient for them. It might be one obfuscated line, or a well designed method of getting to the desired operation of your particular device.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 06:51:21 PM »

There is no need to learn any coding for bkenobi's Advanced Smart lights you simply install it. then click on the x10 module and select Advanced Smart lights just like you do now for the smart lights addon only this gives you more options. bkenobie should have been a bit clearer on the install process for the newbies here.
this is what the Advanced Smart lights looks like.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »

To make it easier for the newbies attached is the program just download it and rename the file  to Advanced_Smart_Lights.hgx
Then from HG configuration/programs/lights click on actions (bottom right) and then import program.
Although this may not do away with the need of flags for some it most definitely reduce the number you need.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:01:15 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dave Mc

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »

There is no need to learn any coding for bkenobi's Advanced Smart lights you simply install it. then click on the x10 module and select Advanced Smart lights just like you do now for the smart lights addon only this gives you more options. bkenobie should have been a bit clearer on the install process for the newbies here.
this is what the Advanced Smart lights looks like.

Thanks for the additional information I will give this a try.  And bkenobie thank you for the coding you did.  I suspect it was many hours of work to put that together.

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »

I use several flags w/AHP. One is a Away/Home flag. When I leave the house I set it and that sets up
a lighting senario  that makes the house looked lived in and also sets the thermostat  back. When I come home I reset it and the lights are back to manual control and the heat comes back up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.