Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just a update to my smart home as it stands now  (Read 2242 times)

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Just a update to my smart home as it stands now
« on: December 29, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »

Hi all,  Been here forever, but have not posted in awhile, so a bit of an update on what I'm using instead of x10,  >! not bashing x10 would have most likely been using it if still worked for me, so lets start at the beginning of my home automation, about 12 to 14 years ago I seen those Notorious pop up adds from x10,  bought a few x10 security cameras (still have them in a box).  liked what i got then ordered a bunch of x10 home automation, my local radio shack just switched to the source and i got a huge assortment of x10 modules. everything worked great with 3 party apps and  my computer would talk to me when events happened. then x10 went through the ruff period, i tried making it work for a few years but things began to fail. then last year i got the x10 wifi unit (i got two but both never worked).
 After sending them back I went and got Philips hue lights for every room, then got a 2 gen Samsung smart things kit, and placed google home in every room and a Samsung wifi speaker (it speaks when events happen) I also use the RM pro + for all my electronics in living room. I have been using light strips on my TV and cheap color   merkury light bulbs and Merkury wifi outlets.  I love how all the different things tie in to google home or Alexa Using IFTTT.

I still have all my x10 modules and still use the x10 security on my doors and windows.   
I still pop by here to read the posts and stay up to date with whats going on. anyways Merry Christmas and happy new years.   

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Just a update to my smart home as it stands now
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 04:10:45 PM »

It's always good to hear how everyone is making HA work for them. Thanks for posting & Happy New Year!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »

Nice to read your post. Please keep coming back!

Home Automation is transitioning BIG time right now. A lot of us are still trying to find the proper place for X10 in our setups. I've reduced some of the X10 switches and modules in my setup. I've even removed my "talking" alerts and warning (including the talking clock, garage door reminder, and perimeter motion alerts).

Some time ago.... I decided to re-imagine my entire setup. I disassembled and have mostly rebuilt the entire setup... looking for new ways to automate that... would best serve me and my small family. Not surprisingly (to me)…. we have built similar setups. I am using Amazon echo devices (5) and several various Hubs (including the one that is built-in the Echo+). I am also using a Broadlink Pro. And I am (also) using other brands of WiFi controlled automation devices (mostly modules). But also using the MyQ garage door opener, and new cool WiFi and cellular smart (Alexa enabled) security system.... and recently added a Nest smart/learning thermostat. I even re-built/upgraded my Home Theater during the summer months (I can voice control the theater lights using the Alex voice remote).

Now.... I just started using geo-fencing as part of my automation... and hope to soon include geo-location.

My X10 worked fine and still does (I am using about 25 modules, switches and such of X10). I don't know when I remove the X10 if ever. After all... X10 products do conserve my broadband use around the house.

So how much better/worse is the Google device for Home Automation? I think I need to get one.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

sargue

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:25:50 PM »

I've lurked here for a while, but hadn't looked recently.  I gave up on my AHP setup a long time ago, just to unreliable.  I've kept a number of X10 devices in place (primarily light switches and a few plug in modules).  All controlled via remotes and a couple of mini-timers.

Over the last few years be added a number of tp-link wifi light switches as well as plug in modules, all controlled by Google home.   The free Kasa app gives lots of flexibility for schedules on each switch or plug. I have 12 of these devices, but the downside is they require a neutral wire that not all my switch boxes have.  In addition I have two Lutrin Caseta switches (and hub) to address a couple of switches that don't have a neutral wire. 

Other devices I have are a Nest Thermostat, doorbell and smoke detectors as well as a Chamberlain Myq garage door opener.  Also have Logitech Harmony Hub's and chromecasts on all my tv's....but use remote control to run these far more than google voice.

I have 3 Google homes in various rooms and a Google Home hub in the kitchen.  A vast majority of my controlling of these device is voice or pre-set schedules....other than the TVs.

Reading here I'm encouraged by the PiX10 threads.  This could be what I need to extend the life of my remaining X10 switches..... Not sure about Google home integration there, I'll have to keep reading.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 11:33:16 PM by sargue »

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »

…… Reading here I'm encouraged by the PiX10 threads.  This could be what I need to extend the life of my remaining X10 switches..... Not sure about Google home integration there, I'll have to keep reading.

You sound (read) much like myself. How could (as automation guys) we ever past up things like Nest, MyQ (garage door control), and AI devices... like Google and Amazons. RIGHT?!?!?

But not everyone here thinks like we do. Sure we want to keep X10 up and running along with our other whizzbang new stuff… why wouldn't we. And the cloud operated devices are the perfect integrator of everything. Except of course X10. Because X10 doesn't offer a Hub. I've integrated my X10 with Amazons Alexa... using a Homeseer S2 Hometroller. You might be able to do some of the same using your Logitech Harmony Hub (maybe using a IR-543 X10 Command Console).

I was sadly disappointed when X10 didn't make their WM-100 an Internet Hub. And from what I am reading about the Pi X10 Hub.... it seems to be more Home Genie centric than Internet appliance.

The old X10 smart home with a (cm11) or CM15A (AHP Pro) connected to an on-line computer running various software(s) (and connected to others using a peer connection) seems to be an old idea.... still stuck in the minds of many. IMHO.... there is little to absolutely no reason to try to whip centralized computing power out of an Internet appliance.... when that is what the cloud is for. After all... it works flawlessly with our garage door(s), thermostats, and myriad of other automation devices.

But not everyone thinks like us.... or trusts the Internet, or google, or Amazon, or capitalism or whatever. And exploiting Internet technologies isn't an idea they like.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:44:23 PM by HA Dave »

sargue

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 06:11:18 PM »

…… Reading here I'm encouraged by the PiX10 threads.  This could be what I need to extend the life of my remaining X10 switches..... Not sure about Google home integration there, I'll have to keep reading.

You sound (read) much like myself. How could (as automation guys) we ever past up things like Nest, MyQ (garage door control), and AI devices... like Google and Amazons. RIGHT?!?!?

But not everyone here thinks like we do. Sure we want to keep X10 up and running along with our other whizzbang new stuff… why wouldn't we. And the cloud operated devices are the perfect integrator of everything. Except of course X10. Because X10 doesn't offer a Hub. I've integrated my X10 with Amazons Alexa... using a Homeseer S2 Hometroller. You might be able to do some of the same using your Logitech Harmony Hub (maybe using a IR-543 X10 Command Console).

I was sadly disappointed when X10 didn't make their WM-100 an Internet Hub. And from what I am reading about the Pi X10 Hub.... it seems to be more Home Genie centric than Internet appliance.

The old X10 smart home with a (cm11) or CM15A (AHP Pro) connected to an on-line computer running various software(s) (and connected to others using a peer connection) seems to be an old idea.... still stuck in the minds of many. IMHO.... there is little to absolutely no reason to try to whip centralized computing power out of an Internet appliance.... when that is what the cloud is for. After all... it works flawlessly with our garage door(s), thermostats, and myriad of other automation devices.

But not everyone thinks like us.... or trusts the Internet, or google, or Amazon, or capitalism or whatever. And exploiting Internet technologies isn't an idea they like.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply and agree we think alike. 

One note, I don't fully trust the internet or companies like Google/Amazon.  However, with respect to Google, they have filled the role of "Internet automation aggregator" for me, allowing multiple disparate systems to work together fairly seamlessly. In my case the convenience this provides outweighs the trust concern I have.

The interesting thing (to me) is that the base X10 hardware and protocol is fairly rock solid, once you learn a few of the nuances you need to work around.  However, none of the applications that support it have ever remotely proven themselves as capable to me.  I keep hoping for that perfect "hub" device with Google integration that would allow me to seamlessly control all my X10 devices through a single interface.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 11:00:10 PM »

One note, I don't fully trust the internet or companies like Google/Amazon.

And you shouldn't trust anyone that you aren't closely associated with. But keep in mind... these are capitalistic organizations. Your words, my words, the sounds of our TV's and music... has no value. Whereas Internet "interests" (government included) do care where we go and what we "think"... it is the cultural thought processes that has a value to them. Virtually no one is interested in what you say (or do) at home.   

However, with respect to Google, they have filled the role of "Internet automation aggregator" for me, allowing multiple disparate systems to work together fairly seamlessly.…

Careful there sargue. That kind of post is considered "sacary" by some here.  :)%  rofl  And I found the same thing with Amazon and other Hubs. The old days of "pick your brand and work within that"... and run a software package from your own desktop PC.... was awesome stuff.... YEARS AGO. But things change. As great as the CM15A, AHP Pro, Windows XP were..... they just don't measure up to cloud based automation.

……. I keep hoping for that perfect "hub" device with Google integration that would allow me to seamlessly control all my X10 devices through a single interface.

The most difficult part of working with cutting edge technology.... is teaching ourselves to discard some of our innate thought processes. Where it is natural to want to do things "the way they have always been done"…. the old ways only worked best with the old technology. But it is probably why half the people on the forum are still trying to force a tiny Internet appliance to work like an old desktop.

With the new tech available.... the centralization is actually the cloud. It's not just everywhere.... it's exactly where your at.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.