Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Free app download?  (Read 2537 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Free app download?
« on: December 29, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »

One of the things I had when I ran AHP on my PC 27/7 was a freeware program that updated my router isp to a named address - so I could use that service name in place of the it address and access the AHP 'apps' from anywhere.

Now with HomeGenie on a Pi, I either need to find a similar app that will run, or manually update it when it changes, or I am hoping the HomeGenie app will do this.

But I want to try out the app to see, but can't seem to find where to get it from.

Anyone have a link they can share?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Free app download?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 05:33:11 PM »

Depending on your brand and model router it may be able to update DDNS by itself. If you assign a static port for the Pi in your router you'll be all set.

soxfan1966

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »

I do have a static IP for my pi, it's the routersip that periodically changes so accessing from outside my wifi that I'm trying to resolve

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »

Which DDNS service do you use? If you look in your router's settings under DDNS you should see some choices for popular DDNS providers or you can enter another.  Then you enter your DDNS login credentials and the router will keep it updated. Your DDNS provider will also most likely have apps that you can download to auto-update from your device.

soxfan1966

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 09:58:37 AM »

I have an ASUS router - and discovered today they pretty much host a DDNS service.  When I had set up the previous freeware (called NO-IP DUC) I had a different router that did not offer this.  When I upgraded the router, I never bothered to check if it had such a thing or not.

So now I have that up and running, which appears to work to access the HA Bridge remotely using this path (MYDDNSNAME is replaced with my actual DDNS name, same for PORT being replaced with my actual Port)

http://MYDDNSNAME:PORT/#!/

That gets me to the login screen.

However, I seem to be having an issue with accessing HomeGenie.  I have tried these two paths with no luck (note that the port for both HA Bridge and HG are forwarded in my router - different port for each too):

http://MYDDNSNAME:PORT/hg/html/index.html

and also
http://MYDDNSNAME:PORT/#!/

NOTE: same path as using for HA Bridge with a different actual PORT.

So not sure if I am missing something.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:00:48 AM »

Try just http://YOURDDNSNAME&PORT
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »

That did not work either.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »

You may have something else being port forwarded to port 8080 like the PC you tested HG initialy on. You can only port forward to a single Ip trying to forward the same port to multi IPs usualy will result in all devices using that port to fail.However sometimes the first IP the router assigns gets to use the port.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »

Ugh, my apologies.  I had a typo in my router Port forwarding settings.

I had the incoming port of 8080 mapped to the local port of 8000.

I fixed that and now the path to access works great.  Thanks

P.S.   Would still like to try out the free HG app :)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 11:33:26 AM »

I'll see if I can find the apk or the link to the app. I'll  post it when i find it unless someone beats me to it. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »

Ugh, my apologies.  I had a typo in my router Port forwarding settings.

I had the incoming port of 8080 mapped to the local port of 8000.

I fixed that and now the path to access works great.  Thanks

P.S.   Would still like to try out the free HG app :)

You really should try obtain the Homegenie Plus Android app. It's far more feature filled and of course you're contributing to HG developer who could really do with a little financial assistance for producing such a wonderful product in HG. The price tag is hardly going to break the bank either.

@Tuicemen it really would be nice if you could encourage HG users to contribute in cases like this.

soxfan1966

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 12:19:31 PM »

Not to duplicate my response in another thread, but we are all free to have our own opinion on free vs paid. The point of this exercise was to prove X10 Hub on the Pi works as an alternative to AHP on a PC, and that is what I am trying to assist with.

If people wish to donate or not, that's a choice each person can make.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »

Not to duplicate my response in another thread, but we are all free to have our own opinion on free vs paid. The point of this exercise was to prove X10 Hub on the Pi works as an alternative to AHP on a PC, and that is what I am trying to assist with.

If people wish to donate or not, that's a choice each person can make.

Absolutely but we wouldn't be having the privalege of testing in the first place were it not for the developer. I can think of a million reasons not to contribute but there's one very good reason to make one.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 12:41:27 PM »

[quote ]
@Tuicemen it really would be nice if you could encourage HG users to contribute in cases like this.
[/quote] It really isnt my place to be pushing for donatons  especially in every thread. Most X10 users from this forum will donate to software development if they find it the least bit useful. The fact that this project was to replace the free AHP software and any free addons shouldnt be pushing payment. Now that being said if your looking to do something that AHP could not do without a paid plugin and there is no free alterative then that is another story. The free Android HG app I belive was to hook users to get the paided app. Getting the paid app shouldnt be considered a donation to HG it should be a top up donation. ;) HG is worth far more then an app and I don't believe paying for something you won't use it encourages developement of it rather then HG.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »

Others use DDNS as their solution for this.  I have opted to be stubborn and use the actual IP which requires a custom solution.  I chose to write a simple script that checks the IP periodically and sends me an email when it changes.  I recently found out that one of my RPi's has questionable network access so I really need to rewrite the script.  If you go to my github repository you can get the CheckIP script and you will have what you need.

Again, if you go DDNS via your router you will be WAY better off.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.