Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Updating HG  (Read 6739 times)

alzy

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Updating HG
« on: December 29, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »

I noticed on my last two updates stable.29 and .30 the update window with the spinning wheel never says complete, just keeps spinning saying "installing files- HG service stopped" even after 10 minutes. How long should it take? I can see the HG home screen in the background responding to the built in macros during the process.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Updating HG
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 07:02:06 PM »

I noticed on my last two updates stable.29 and .30 the update window with the spinning wheel never says complete, just keeps spinning saying "installing files- HG service stopped" even after 10 minutes. How long should it take? I can see the HG home screen in the background responding to the built in macros during the process.

Do you have a yellow arrow present in the top right hand side of the screen. If not you will need to manually download the update tarball file and extract it to your homegenie folder.

alzy

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 07:05:32 PM »

Yes,
It downloads the files, then I click install, then it seems to never finish.

alzy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »

On the install of stable .30 after 15+ minutes of installing it didn't finish so I closed the install screen. No my image is fried!

alzy

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 07:14:18 PM »

Oh, on .29 install I used the arrow but on the .30 install I did check for updates and updated from the maintenance screen is that what fried me image?

alzy

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »

But even on the .29 install using the download arrow the install screen also never said installed completed, just had wheel spinning after completing download but never completed install.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 07:33:06 PM »

But even on the .29 install using the download arrow the install screen also never said installed completed, just had wheel spinning after completing download but never completed install.

You need to shutdown HomeGenie at the Terminal by typing sudo systemctrl stop homegenie.service

Next change folder to your homegenie folder and type sudo mono HomeGenie.exe
This will launch homegenie in debug mode so you can see exactly what is happening

Open you browser and access the homegenie Api. Now try the update and watch what is happening in the putty window. It will show you exactly what the problem is.

alzy

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 07:46:13 PM »

You need to shutdown HomeGenie at the Terminal by typing sudo systemctrl stop homegenie.service

This will launch homegenie in debug mode so you can see exactly what is happening

Open you browser and access the homegenie Api. Now try the update and watch what is happening in the putty window. It will show you exactly what the problem is.

After the .30 update when I updated from the maintenance screen. It never finished and I had to close the update screen with the wheel spinning. I then tried to putty in to do sudo shutdown 1 but the pi took the user name, asked me for password but wouldn't respond to my typing of the passwrod. so I unplugged it and tried to power it up again but it would not respond to putty.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 07:56:46 PM »

I've posted this before but in the event of a HG meltdown carry out the following at the Terminal (your Putty window)

- backup your configuration
- uninstall current hg with the command......... dpkg --remove homegenie
- completely remove the hg folder.................. sudo rm -rf /usr/local/bin/homegenie
- get your new release
- wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.2-stable.30/homegenie_1.2-stable.30_all.deb
- install new release..................................... gdebi homegenie_1.2-stable.30_all.deb
- restore your backup

This is the process for a manual install and stops all that delay with the updater freezing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:42:10 PM by petera »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 08:03:13 PM »

After the .30 update when I updated from the maintenance screen. It never finished and I had to close the update screen with the wheel spinning. I then tried to putty in to do sudo shutdown 1 but the pi took the user name, asked me for password but wouldn't respond to my typing of the passwrod. so I unplugged it and tried to power it up again but it would not respond to putty.

Just restore your SD card image of your last working setup and follow the post I made above. Your update didn't complete and sounds like it scrambled your install.

Strange that you can't log in at the Putty session. There's no reason why your credentials changed. As you know the default is user name pi and password raspberry. Just try that in case but I doubt it.

alzy

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 08:39:22 PM »

I just did another powerup with the same image and was able to log in . Hg is functional and says its stable.30. So I guess I am ok. But there still is the issue of the install screen not updating the fact that the install completed.
Thanks for the help.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »

I just did another powerup with the same image and was able to log in . Hg is functional and says its stable.30. So I guess I am ok. But there still is the issue of the install screen not updating the fact that the install completed.
Thanks for the help.

The instructions I posted will allow you to install any version of HG if you find a particular version is causing problems. It means if you update to a newer version you can always fall back on an older version. The built in updater is notorious for causing problems so my instructions cover a manual update outside of HG.

alzy

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »

Thanks! I save those to my Notes Folder for future reference>

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 07:24:10 AM »

I split this from the Original thread as this is a HG issue not a PiX10Hub direct issue.
Many users think a HG update is a Update/upgrade to the PiX10HUB although is does improve HG and indirectly improves the Pix10Hub issues with HomeGenie need to be posted in the HG GitHub issues.
My Phone has all ways hung at the  point of the update you experienced So I've never thought anything of this.
it appears when HG goes off line to restart the service. I've always just hit refresh and the new version pops up.
I'll pay close attention with the next update and do it from my PC. If it hangs when doing it in a PC it should be reported to Gene.

The work arround petera posted is handy to have as a fall back just incase but I've yet to have to do this.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »

I split this from the Original thread as this is a HG issue not a PiX10Hub direct issue.
Many users think a HG update is a Update/upgrade to the PiX10HUB although is does improve HG and indirectly improves the Pix10Hub issues with HomeGenie need to be posted in the HG GitHub issues.
My Phone has all ways hung at the  point of the update you experienced So I've never thought anything of this.
it appears when HG goes off line to restart the service. I've always just hit refresh and the new version pops up.
I'll pay close attention with the next update and do it from my PC. If it hangs when doing it in a PC it should be reported to Gene.

The work arround petera posted is handy to have as a fall back just incase but I've yet to have to do this.

As I pointed out earlier running HG in debug mode will identify exactly where the upgrade is hanging. While you may be able to close the HG window when it does hang your upgrade will not have completed and this will cause you operational problems as parts of some packages will be missing.

This problem has arisen in the past and has been the result of some missing runtime files.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.