Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alexa integration?  (Read 1548 times)

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Alexa integration?
« on: January 04, 2019, 08:52:41 AM »

I've had my X10 system humming along, running Active Home/HA Bridge/Alex10, on a mini-PC with Windows 10 connected to the CM15 interface.  The mini-PC BIOS does not have a auto-restart on power failure option.  I travel frequently and our area here is prone to short power "blips."  That was a problem until I dedicated an old UPS to the mini.  Otherwise, Active Home goes down.   

This new development with the PiX10Hub sounds exciting and compelling on many points.  I do have a few quick questions that I can't find elsewhere...

1. Does the Pi board restart on power failure?  (I do have a dedicated UPS that I am now using on the mini-PC, but am curious.)
2. Can the PiX10Hub and associated software integrate with Alexa for voice control?
3. Can the PiX10Hub be remote accessed outside of the local network?
4. Are there compatible Pi boards that have a network plug, rather than rely on WiFi?

I've never dabbled in the Rasberry Pi world, but this may be the application to draw me in!

I'm always impressed and amazed to see the new developments that the X10 community brings to extend the life of this tried and true technology!

Thanks for all the hard work...and for sharing! :)  :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Alexa integration?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »

1. Yes it will restart. Though a power loss will not shut it down orderly. Corrupted SD card have been reported by some users and testers.

4. Well some have tried the image on a Pi3B or Pi3B+. The image right now does not proceed correctly. At least for me. It can be kind of coaxed or you can installed all the software manually. I think some have gone that route.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

For answers to some of your questions see http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30737.msg179625#msg179625

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »

1. Yes on restarting as Brian H says. It'll last a really long time on a UPS and there are some battery backup boards that mount to the Pi.

2. Yes, the image includes HA-Bridge to interface with Alexa. Works great. There's also a stand alone PiAlexaHub version that doesn't have Home Genie.

3. Yes.

4. What Brian H said but the WiFi works quite well. Tuicemen has mentioned a version 2.0 that would play well with the 3B+ in the near future.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »

Thank you all for the speedy replies...a big help.  Thanks!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.