Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Preparing for the Pi to arrive!  (Read 1138 times)

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Preparing for the Pi to arrive!
« on: January 06, 2019, 06:36:10 PM »

I'm pretty psyched about my Raspberry Pi Zero W arriving tomorrow.  I've loved X10 for many years, but am less than enthusiastic about having a dedicated PC running 24/7.   

I've already written the PiX10Hub image to a 64gb micro sd card, and have cleared the memory from a second, back-up CM15a I have.  At least, I think it's cleared.

That's my question, is plugging in the CM15 to the Active Home PC and clearing the memory using Tools --> Clear Interface Memory. Is that all that is required?

I thought I saw something about preparing the CM15 here on the board, but now I can't find it.   

Is there anything else I should be doing?  This almost seems too easy and I find that a bit scary!    >*<

Many thanks to Tuicemen, Petra, Dave and all the others for all the great work on this!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Preparing for the Pi to arrive!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 08:34:19 PM »

Just clear the memory in the CM15a. That's it and then it's ready to plug into the Pi.  You might want to rethink the 64gb card though. You don't need anywhere near that much room. In fact, an 8gb will do just fine. The reason you might want to go smaller is that when you copy the image from the card for backup the entire space on the card, even though empty, is part of the image. This makes reading and writing the image a needlessly long process with no benefit.

Good luck tomorrow!

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:20:59 PM »

Good point on the card!  It was sitting unused but I'll see if I can swap it with something smaller!

Thanks!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:21:15 AM »

After you image the SD card. Don't forget to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file to your Wi-Fi routers information.

I also set the Transceived House Codes in the CM15A to none. As I thought at one time it was recommended.

The Pi Zero W has a Micro USB connector. If you want to use the original CM15A USB cable. You need an adapter. I missed that fact myself.  ::) Though I did get a Mini HDMI adapter. To try the HDMI and Keyboard method of installing the image.

Some of us bought a Micro USB to USB B cable and connected it directly. Not using the original CM15A USB cable.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:25:53 AM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.