Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interface isn't connected message  (Read 4140 times)

jagMan653

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Interface isn't connected message
« on: January 05, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »

Today I connect my new  CM15A and downloaded and installedAHP 3.318. Everything went smoothly through the tests ... Appliance module neatly switching on and off etc. Then I created my Rooms, modules, etc. and set some timers, and saved the file to my HD. Then I made a few edits like renaming modules saved it again. At some point things stopped responding, and I discovered the "Interface not connected" message. Searching the forum I found reports of this problem, along with a fix... unplug the CM15A, remove & replace the batteries, and reconnect. No joy.

Any suggestions?

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: Interface isn't connected message
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 10:01:40 PM »

Have you tried rebooting the PC?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 10:09:34 PM »

Today I connect my new  CM15A and downloaded and installedAHP 3.318. Everything went smoothly through the tests ... Appliance module neatly switching on and off etc. Then I created my Rooms, modules, etc. and set some timers, and saved the file to my HD. Then I made a few edits like renaming modules saved it again. At some point things stopped responding, and I discovered the "Interface not connected" message. Searching the forum I found reports of this problem, along with a fix... unplug the CM15A, remove & replace the batteries, and reconnect. No joy.
Any suggestions?

The "unplug the CM15A, remove & replace the batteries, and reconnect" is a standard procedure.

Then I made a few edits like renaming modules saved it again. At some point things stopped responding

I never had much luck with such "edits". I have to delete a module (empty the trash/recycle bin... don't upload with trash in the trash bin) and create new module, room, macro, timer, etc.).

I'd start over with a proper naming protocol. I use year 19 month 1, day 5... then any revisions on the day 5 would be A,B,C, etc..

Create your first nice working macro name it 190105 and save it to the CM15A for testing.never edit or modify that file. Next create another macro, timer, room modules whatever and name it 190105A. So any screw ups only lose the very last file.... where the error occurred.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jagMan653

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »

No.  Is that a known issue or "on general principles?"

BTW, I'm using a Windows 10 machine. Tomorrow I'll try it on a Windows 7 machine.

jagMan653

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 10:44:05 PM »

I never had much luck with such "edits". I have to delete a module (empty the trash/recycle bin... don't upload with trash in the trash bin) and create new module, room, macro, timer, etc.).

I'd start over with a proper naming protocol. I use year 19 month 1, day 5... then any revisions on the day 5 would be A,B,C, etc..

Create your first nice working macro name it 190105 and save it to the CM15A for testing.never edit or modify that file. Next create another macro, timer, room modules whatever and name it 190105A. So any screw ups only lose the very last file.... where the error occurred.

Thanks. I'll try starting over.

Has anyone used this version with Windows 10?

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 12:08:05 AM »

…. Has anyone used this version with Windows 10?

I am pretty sure I've read here of people using windows 10. I have the software install on a couple XP's and a Visa.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 12:46:47 AM »

No.  Is that a known issue or "on general principles?"

BTW, I'm using a Windows 10 machine. Tomorrow I'll try it on a Windows 7 machine.

Sometimes the the USB ports get finnicky. I had some problems once where a reboot of the PC got things working again with the CM15 pluuged in before booting.

jagMan653

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 02:00:24 PM »

The mystery deepens. I installed 3.318 on my Windows 7 machine today. I was able to do the test with MyRoom and successfully turn a lamp on and off. (Full disclosure: having no working Lamp modules, I added a 3-prong Appliance module in place of the lamp module). I put a timer on it, and it worked. However, the "Interface not connected" icon soon appeared, just as it did on my Windows 10 machine. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling 3.318, nut no joy. So, I now have TWO computers that can't detect the CM15A!

The unplug R/R batteries fix did nothing.

What am I missing?

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 03:13:03 PM »

The mystery deepens. I installed 3.318 on my Windows 7 machine today...... the "Interface not connected" icon soon appeared.....................So, I now have TWO computers that can't detect the CM15A!

A mystery it is! I even did a search.... a forum search... and found nothing that appeared useful. Most of the old CM15A problem were just the same old problems.... over-and-over. I did find a link for Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP X10 drivers (that might be helpful). And of course.... try another USB cable.

jagMan653

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 03:30:53 PM »

Thanks, Dave. Haven't tried a different cable. i think I have one like that around here somewhere. But, it seems unlikely to be the problem since it did connect the first time on the Win 7 machine, as it did on the Win10 machine.

BTW, I still have my MT10A Mini Timer connected. Could that be an issue?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »

Sounds like a Driver problem.
You might try uninstalling the driver. And re-install.
On Win 10, right click on Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Devices > Universal Serial Bus controllers. find the X10 drivers and uninstall. Reboot with CM15 plugged in. Win 10 should find new driver. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 04:52:44 PM »

windows driver updates have messed with the USB connection since XP if your machines are set to auto update this is most likely what has caused the issue.
You need to tell windows to not auto update drivers and ask you first.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jagMan653

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 05:20:28 PM »

Since it work the first time on two different machine running different Windows versions, it's hard to believe it's a MS driver that got switched out.
Not sure I'm ready to tell Windows not to update things.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 05:42:01 PM »

Windows can't update a driver that isn't installed.
I merely stated an observation one of which I myself experienced several times using XP and a couple of times in Win 7
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jagMan653

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »

Success on Windows 10! Not sure, but I think what fixed it was uninstalling it and running the installer again, selecting C:\ as the location of ActiveHome Pro.

BTW, all these changes in my X10 system were precipitated by gradual degradation of "controlability," i.e., things would turn on but not off, etc., probably due to added devices around the house. The biggest change was installation of an XTB-IIR. That required installation of a 240V outlet to allow boosting the signal and inserting it into both phases. That cost $365. The XTB-IIR was $200. Then shipwright's disease set in, resulting in buying the CB15A. Pretty expensive just to control  a few lights around the house and yard! Then on top of all that was bothering everyone here with all my stumbling about.

Thanks to all.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.