Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: RIP, WM100?  (Read 8111 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: RIP, WM100?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 03:59:12 PM »

The WM100 has a tinny computer sadly the manufacture and developer don't know how to utilize and make the best of it.

The hardware is also crippled by being based on a wireless transceiver that only supports standard PalmPad commands.

Jeff
Agreed the manufacture cut corners and ignored initial requests which they thought it irrelevant.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »

……. the manufacture and developer don't know how to utilize and make the best of it.

Yeah.... like I said. No vision.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ceedee

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »

Received an email today touting another WM100 "sale." Disappointing that X10 would continue to sell such a crippled product. The email lists many of the "features" that we all know aren’t there, or don’t work.  False advertising.  Shame on them.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »

Received an email today touting another WM100 "sale." Disappointing that X10 would continue to sell such a crippled product. The email lists many of the "features" that we all know aren’t there, or don’t work.  False advertising.  Shame on them.

WM100 Pocket Warmers. Plug them in overnight, pop it in to your pocket next morning to keep your hands warm  rofl

I wonder if this is returned stock from disgruntled customers reboxed. Got to shift them somehow.

akeene

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 07:19:38 PM »

Guess I'm getting too old for this crap.
Now I need to figure if I wan some cherry pi. Or is this apple?
Automation is easy.. " I know"  "RIGHT " Just push a button!
Is this the modern we grew up wishing for?
I still drive my 1953 MG TD.

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 04:38:19 PM »

At least the server hasn't been down in awhile...well, at least when I needed it.  I now see what a lot of you said about missing an internal clock, had to turn off the breaker to the Refrigerator which also knocks out the WM-100's outlet yesterday, none of the lights came on automatically until I made contact with the hub.

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »

At least the server hasn't been down in awhile...well, at least when I needed it. …………. none of the lights came on automatically until I made contact with the hub.

It's easy to find crappy things to post about the new WM-100. But realistically.... it's the best remote control X10 ever made... and X10 was a leader in remote controls some time ago. Modems, routers, Hubs (garage doors, Internet phones, Home Automation device, etc.).... modern-day electronic sometimes do require more than a passive tolerance. Hubs can require a little active programming, updates and such. I don't think the WM-100 is so much of an effort to keep working. If it just did a little more... went that one step further... and had an Amazon Alexa "skill"...………...THAT would be.... would have been... a game changer.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 11:44:15 PM »

Hubs can require a little active programming, updates and such. I don't think the WM-100 is so much of an effort to keep working. If it just did a little more...
Agreed! If the developer would get off their butt the WM100 still has a chance to become something great even with its flaws. It's to bad it couldn't deliver promises initially made.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »

Agreed! If the developer would get off their butt the WM100 still has a chance to become something great even with its flaws. It's to bad it couldn't deliver promises initially made.

We don't (yet) have a "global" marketplace. If in Roman... do as the Romans. If in China... take a bag of cash and be prepared to bribe. "Gifts" are expected as part of a way of doing business in some areas of the world. Even just bottles of American made liquor can go a long way to establishing good working relationships. 

Mic_

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »

was the VM 100 just a money grab? The server will eventually go dark; you think? The VM 100 has served my needs, however, I have jumped on the pie bandwagon...Now I have redundancies

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 11:28:52 AM »

was the VM 100 just a money grab? The server will eventually go dark; you think? The VM 100 has served my needs, however, I have jumped on the pie bandwagon...Now I have redundancies
I don't believe the WM100 was a money grab. As to the server going dark that is always possible with any HA hub now a days. Luckily you now have something that doesn't rely soly on a remote server to work. I still have my MW100 connected (my wife likes it) however all my timers an macros are on  my PiX10Hub with HomeGenie. Maybe at some point HG will be able to talk with the WM100  >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »

It's easy to find crappy things to post about the new WM-100. But realistically.... it's the best remote control X10 ever made...
Yepper, I totally agree. There is some good things to be said about the WM100. And I am betting a number of non-forum X10 users think it is better than a PB&J on sliced bread. But I just don't like it relying on a "cloud" server. However since it does, it would be nice if Authinx would develop an Alexa skill while waiting on the developer to fix the app/firmware.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 12:19:34 PM »

it would be nice if Authinx would develop an Alexa skill while waiting on the developer to fix the app/firmware.
And there is the problem! They can't! Nor can anyone else other then the developer.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 02:06:23 PM »

it would be nice if Authinx would develop an Alexa skill while waiting on the developer to fix the app/firmware.
And there is the problem! They can't! Nor can anyone else other then the developer.
Well, based on HA Dave's comment  http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30795.msg180597#msg180597 ,  lets take up a collection and send the developer a case of wine from Napa valley (or maybe a couple pints of white lightning) .  Sneaking through China customs might be a problem...maybe a couple of bottles in the box to the attention of "CUSTOMS". rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 02:43:04 PM »

….. The server will eventually go dark; you think?

The sun itself... will eventually go dark… I promise. But my money is that all servers will go dark long before that.

…... I have jumped on the pie bandwagon...Now I have redundancies

Redundancies are good. As preppers say: 2 is 1, and 1 is none. Which means we need 3 of everything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.