Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Email notification  (Read 3250 times)

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Email notification
« on: January 17, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »

Is there a way to use the HomeGenie email notification when a certain x10 module gets triggered?  Or is that feature restricted to sensors / security items?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Email notification
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:15:30 PM »

If HG doesn't do something you like by default, there is almost certainly a way to make it happen since HG is open source and has real programming available via apps.  That said, you should be able to easily modify an existing app to provide notification the way you need.  I do not have a sample code available at this time so I can't post a solution.  If I get a chance, I will look to see if I have anything in my backup/snippets section.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »

Is there a way to use the HomeGenie email notification when a certain x10 module gets triggered?  Or is that feature restricted to sensors / security items?
yes!
 I believe I included a garage door notification macro in the PXH HomeGenie you just need to edit this for the module you wish and the message you wish. You can create several copies of this for different email or SMS notification messages. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:30:43 PM »

I saw the garage door program but didn't see how to tie it to a module.  Will give that a try tomorrow.  Thx

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »

You have to create a macro (and activate it) that triggers the Garage door program  when the device you wish to trigger it is detected. I haven't set this up or the email camera pictures which this is based off here in the city but it is setup at my off grid place.
I'll see about logging in there and  getting the specifics. if you need extra help.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 08:57:21 AM »

Ok checked my off grid setup and it looks like I was mistaken in how to set this up. :-[ B:(
I'm using a call to HA-Bridge which in turn sends a call back to the HG API.
Not the cleanest method but it works. bkenobi may have a cleaner script.
You should beable to make a custom APi call in a macro but I've not played with that option as yet.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »

I assumed Tuicemen would have something so I didn't check last night.  I'll put it on my to do list this weekend.  Hopefully I get all tasks complete so I can provide something.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »

In the meantime have a look at this HG video. Gives you a general idea how the triggering and notification system works. It should explain and help you to to create a macro to do this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jsL_fAJ5-5w

You're requirement is very basic so it's quite simple to create a macro to do what you need. Basically it's something along the lines

If Garage Door switches to On (triggered) send a notification to the following recipients. The automation behind the Alarm program covers everything you need. It can even flash your lights when the Garage Door is triggered.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »

The email is pretty easy.  I write my code in C# so Wizard will be slightly different.  Still, it should be VERY easy to send notification.  If you want an example of sending a notification on a tested event, look at my check IP app on github.  Your code would be even shorter because you don't need to store the old IP and check it against the new one.  All you need to do is trigger based on the state of a module and, when triggered, send notification which could be hard coded.

soxfan1966

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 05:07:45 PM »

Thanks.  I will give things a try tomorrow (looks like we may be snowed in for a day).

soxfan1966

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:30:55 AM »

I watched the linked you tube video - makes sense.  But I do not need the full blown security program.  If I could create something that I could then link in a similar fashion to those X10 modules I wanted as an option in the dropdown (similar to the one for the auto off delay) that would be great (easy, usable and exactly what I was looking for).

I'm just not sure how to get that program option created.

soxfan1966

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »

The video?  Petra had posted a few posts earlier and suggested I watch it.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 09:04:18 AM »

You can create a new program and copy/paste the sections of the code from the Email Notification that you require if you wish.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »

I don't think the issue is the email program as the garage notification works with a simple click. What soxfan1966 I believe is having difficulty with is automating the send notification without use of the security program, but maybe I'm wrong here.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:20:56 AM »

Tuicemen, That is exactly what I am trying to do
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.