Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HomeGenie Android app  (Read 1984 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
HomeGenie Android app
« on: January 17, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »

Some users have asked for this free app in the past so here it is!
Locating it isn't easy but not impossible. I my self don't like the free app and preferer to use the Web UI.
Others have stated the paid version is much better and I highly recommend going that route if an app is what your looking for.
My self the only times I access HG on my Phone is to check my IP cameras as I can view them all at once. The free app isn't good for that hence me using the Web UI.
Also the HG Phone app is only for Android phones. Some have said paying for the app is what they consider a donation for HG.
To me paying for the app is a donation towards Gene's work on the app and makes him more likely to focus on improving it rather then HG itself.
If you like HG donate to it!
If you like the app consider buying it but don't think of that as your donation for the main HG program.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
Re: HomeGenie Android app
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »

BTW, an excellent android stand-alone camera viewer app is IP Cam Viewer: hit-mob.com/ip-cam-viewer-android/
I've been using it for years and it works with virtually ANY camera - up to 16 at a time.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »

I actually have several IP camera apps however viewing my cameras on HG I can perform other tasks if I see something out of place. This saves time having to open another app if I need to turn on/off a module. The cameras also act as a confirmation that something X10 did actually get turned on or off.
I guess this all depends on what you need or like to do with your cameras. HG doesn't have all the Camera options I want (yet) but I'll get them added eventually. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:44:46 PM »

IIRC, there is also an app for Windows phones but nothing for iOS.  I don't know if/when the development for Window phones stopped but I haven't seen any mention of it in a LONG time so it may not exist anymore.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »

I decided to test run the Paid Android App as the free one just wasn't providing what I required.
WOW, :o what a difference! I have three HG servers and this will connect to all three and I can select what to display from each.
I suspect this will get a lot of use and I'll only use the web interface periodically from now on.

The price of the paid app is much less then it really is worth as others have stated.
With Gene working on a HG mini now, I susspect more options to be added.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »

I just purchased the full app myself and will use that moving forward.  My intent with the free app was to test the setup of HomeGenie etc to replace ActiveHome Pro.

At this point I am more than happy with the HomeGenie setup on the Raspberry Pi and though I have more tweaks to make (still working on the email notification and moving Alexa integration to the built in portion of HomeGenie as opposed to the separate HA Bridge) but it has been a great update to my X10 system. 

And none of it would have been possible without the software and guidance provided here.  Much thanks

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.