Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Illuminted light switch  (Read 1182 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Illuminted light switch
« on: January 18, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »

I have a light outside my garage man door. The switch is just inside the door. I was going to swap out for X10 but decided I might do a motion sensor at some point, so it's going to remain conventional toggle.

On many occasions I will forget to turn it off because there are other switches in the box and I can't see the light when the door is shut.  So the simplease solution is to use an illuminated switch.  That sounds fine except for 2 issues.

1) the switche's HD carry say no CFL or LED
2) the switch is illuminated when OFF and I want it illuminated when ON

Any thoughts on an illuminated switch compatible with modern lights and glows when ON?

radioguy1007

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Illuminted light switch
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »

I use a WS13A to control my post light that has a photocell control on it.  The LED on the switch inside tells me the light is on, but the photocell may have it shut off.  You may want to look at this switch as it can control CFL and LED's (it is a relay).

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 12:05:29 PM »

Leviton's apparently makes a heavy duty version that illuminates when ON.  I ignored it at the store because it was 4x more expensive and I assumed identical function.  There may be other options, but this one is local so I'll probably just go with this one.

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/1201-PLC

For reference, if you don't add "pilot" to the search the switch will be illuminated when off apparently.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 12:15:53 PM by bkenobi »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 05:02:51 PM »

There's this for $7.80:  https://amzn.to/2W1Ku92

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:44:03 PM »

I saw that too.  I'm going with the toggle only but that duplex one is basically the same idea. I noticed that some of these sat not to use with CFL or LED but I think the pilot light versions are all ok.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:56:31 PM »

Many years ago.... my workplace decided to add motion sensors in all the restrooms. Of course the idea being that lights would automatically turn off and save energy.

One night... while doing something in my garage (with the garage door up) the door lifting units lights when out (it was on some sort of timer)… and I was in the dark. I had not even thought to turn the light switch on. That's when I installed a motion sensor switch in the garage.

They aren't expensive and the new ones work well with LEDs too. I love mine. That's true, almost perfect, Home Automation.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

brobin

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »

Motion sensors in restrooms aren't such a great idea since most of the 'movements' won't be detected.  rofl

brobin

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 09:14:04 PM »

I saw that too.  I'm going with the toggle only but that duplex one is basically the same idea. I noticed that some of these sat not to use with CFL or LED but I think the pilot light versions are all ok.
Most of the pilot lights are NE-2 neon bulbs connected between the switched side and neutral. You can add one to an existing switch for a buck or two.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 10:40:13 PM »

Motion sensors in restrooms aren't such a great idea since most of the 'movements' won't be detected.  rofl

They worked flawlessly and saved bunches of money.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »

rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »

Most of the pilot lights are NE-2 neon bulbs connected between the switched side and neutral. You can add one to an existing switch for a buck or two.

I thought about adding something like that (some kind of a small LED bulb inside).  But, I like the idea of having it integrated into the switch.  Appreciate the suggestion though!

FWIW, I was going to install a motion sensor/light detector light outside and put a guard over the switch (I have done this in my shop for a similar usage).  However, after testing, I found that the heat pump which sits right outside the door prevents this from working.  Whenever the HP goes into defrost mode it sends a plume of steam into the air and the motion sensor triggers.  Since this light is also located just outside of where my primary TV is located with a big window next to it, every time the motion sensor triggered, I got shined in the eye.  I immediately reverted to a non-motion sensor setup...   :'

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.