Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A/AHP unreliable timer  (Read 3542 times)

jagMan653

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
CM15A/AHP unreliable timer
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:48:52 PM »

I have timers on several modules that work reliably, but a couple that don't. The problematical modules go on and off reliably when controlled from AHP, or from an SS13A or RT 504. However, the AHP timers for these modules will often turn them on, but not off. And occasionally they won't turn on.

Backgrond:
The two problematical modules are a PA011 Receptacle and  a AM466 3-pin appliance module.  Each powers a power supply for low voltage outside lighting. The  setup worked well for about 3 years. Then the the X10 system in general began to have reliability issues, most likely due to added electronics around the house, including security camaras and
 DVR. To address these issues, I installed a XTB-IIR booster/phase coupler which helped a lot, but then I began to notice the subject AHP issue.
Note that I already have an RR501 connected to the XTB-IIR, a TM751 in the laundry that served as the only RF transmitter for years, and a recently added RT504 in the living room.

What's the most likely cause? An AHP bug? RF issues?

BTW, could someone clarify what the CM15A actually does? That is, does it ONLY transmit RF signals, or does is also inject X10 signals into the house circuit?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15A/AHP unreliable timer
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »

The TM751 is not an X10 RF transmitter. It is a tranceiver like the RR501. So it is not a transmitter but another X10 RF to power line module. The TM751 is also not polite and if it receives an X10 RF transmission and will step on X10 power line commands.

You may have too many transceivers in the setup. Especially the TM751.

The CM15A has both a power line receiver and transmitter. Along with an X10 RF transmitter and receiver in it. Unless you set the Transceived House Codes in AHP to none. It will also transceive X10 RF signals just like the RR501 does.

It maybe possible the low voltage transformers are starting to make more power line interference.

If the CM15A is plugged in to the same circuit as the computing equipment, output side of an UPS, filtered surge strip. That can effect the CM15As power line getting back onto the power lines.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:06:00 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »

However, the AHP timers for these modules will often turn them on, but not off. And occasionally they won't turn on.

X10 modules that respond to X10 ON commands, but ignore OFF commands are usually controlling devices that inject noise onto the powerline when on.  A noise generating device can also prevent other X10 devices on the same circuit from responding to any commands.  Prime candidates are small plug-in power modules, and CFL or LED lights. 

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

jagMan653

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:48:51 PM »

Brian, Jeff,

Thanks for the clarifications. I had been thinking more transceivers was better. I put the TM751 and theRR501 on the shelf. Also removed a XPFF filter I had been moving from place to place. No the system seems be working. For the last couple days it has switched both yard lights power supplies on and off twice a day.

Jeff, I also played around a bit with the XTBM. The signal strength differences among several outlets were astounding. At the outlet where the UPS for my security camera DVR system plugs shows 0.35, whereas at the outlet used for the yard lights power supplies shows 10 times that. These outlets are in the same circuit.

Upshot is things seem to be OK.

Ed

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 121
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:13:26 PM »

The signal strength differences among several outlets were astounding.

Some UPS have a capacitor directly across the AC input for a line filter, and that can seriously attenuate X10 signals.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »

I have my APC UPS on a 10 Amp Smarthome FilterLinc's filtered outlet and the pass through has my controller plugged in to it.
Jeff has X10 filters that are very good.
Made a big difference in how much of the power line signals are absorbed by the AC input of the UPS.

JethTran

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 02:26:34 AM »

Hi....the CM15A is higher up in a divider outlet. It has been in a similar divider source for quite a long time. It has a couple of clocks downloaded to it that permit it to turn on/off our parlor lights and patio lights. For as far back as month those lights at this point don't work on the clock however can be turned here and there by the palm distant.

There is a collector module first floor and it gets the catch presses from the entirety of the palm controllers I have in the house.

So I figure that the CM15 has stopped conveying a sign however I don't know.

babybearjs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 11:24:45 PM »

I seem to be having the same issue. I'm finding that a lot of it has to do with the noise on the powerline. I have several computers and other electronic stuff in my house and have had to install filters to help stop it... there are times when I download the timer settings and they repeat with in 30 minutes of the last timer event. I found that if I disconnect the module from my PC it helps stop the repeating... and then there is the phase problem... certain switches stop responding or wont respond at all... so frustrating!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 07:06:47 AM »

JV Digital Engineering has a great set of troubleshooting tutorials.
You may want to look at.
https://jvde.us/x10-troubleshooting/

smatofu

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 09:01:50 AM »

When it comes to X10 RF, CM15A and each of my transceivers are setup to receive different house codes; otherwise they interfere with each other. CM15A house code setup is for RF receival only; it can transmit all house codes.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 06:58:31 PM »

The CM15A can also be set in AHP. To be a transceiver to all sixteen House Code if you care to use it that way.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.