Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USB Thermometer and AM466  (Read 1133 times)

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
USB Thermometer and AM466
« on: January 24, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »

I want to control a AM466 by using a USB Thermometer on my HG box.

Is this possible and if so, is there any documentation for this?

Linux Mint and HG latest stable. (With names on my modules again thanks to Petera! LOL)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: USB Thermometer and AM466
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:26:52 PM »

The problem you need to solve is how to get the temperature from the thermometer into HG.  If you can do that, you just have to write a little code to make things work for you.  I recommend searching google for your specific thermometer and Linux or RPi.  If you can get a code that will interface with your thermometer then a quick python or C# app will do the rest.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »

That's where HG on the RPI comes into it's own. Using temperature sensors on the GPIO pins or a Sense Hat would interface nicely. Personally I'm using an Arduino with analog sensors connected to the Raspberry Pi and using the Serial I/O MIG in HG and it's doing real time readings which are being fed directly to HG. These readings can be used to control any device you choose.

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »

Petera:

That is awesome. I would totally be wiling to jump into the RPi box, but I feel like wring a usb thermometer to GPIO pins is way above my head.

Even for a phone guy.

:-(

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:53:24 PM »

Petera:

That is awesome. I would totally be wiling to jump into the RPi box, but I feel like wring a usb thermometer to GPIO pins is way above my head.

Even for a phone guy.

:-(

Not at all. In fact it's exactly what a "phone guy" could be doing. There's so much info out there to get you started. You'll start to see the real strength in HG with a project like that. I'm running a few serial port projects through HG at the moment.

I parked up HG a while back in favour of Home Assistant which has a huge community input. It's Python based and has so many interfaces available to it it's mind blowing. All the hard work has been done. I decided to revisit HG and enjoying the challenge.

I recommend trying out the thermometer project via the GPIO or the Sense Hat. The Arduino route is even a more interesting challenge and one you could tackle at a later stage.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.