Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: X-10 ms16 motion sensors added to Home genie  (Read 15857 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X-10 ms16 motion sensors added to Home genie
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 01:26:31 PM »

The Broadlink RM Pro is basically only a IR/RF sender, it only receives IR and RF during setup mode and the range is very limited for that. :(
I know the newer versions have a wider RF frequency range but I still believe they are still just senders.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 06:51:07 PM »

I'm not sure why this is a problem.  In my setup, I simply add a module for the X10 address that the MS16A is reporting on.  I then change the module type to sensor.  Once they are a module, you can trigger off of them or use them in any other way you choose.  Perhaps you could explain where you are having an issue?

I was going to try this with the setup I have for some exterior lights, but my options for X10 modules are limited to the devices I do not have defined.

So I already have an X10 module called "Back Deck" on the B5 X10 Module.

I have an X10 sensor that triggers (or is supposed to trigger) this light but works sporadically - so was going to add in the sensor and see if I am getting the trigger from it and its just not reaching the device to turn it on.

But In my list of options to add a new module, because B5 is already in use, it does not show up.

How does one enter in a duplicate of the same X10 address ?

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 02:25:01 PM »

HG must be connected to a X10 controller of some kind (CM15, CM19, etc).  That controller sends/receives X10 commands.  When you set up HG to have a module, HG doesn't really care what type it is other than knowing that it is there.  If you set a light, switch, etc, the only difference is the icon that shows up in the interface.  If you don't like the icon, you can actually change it.

In any case, HG will send a PLC/RF command when you click ON/OFF in the interface through the connected controller and it deals with it from there.  If the controller sees a PLC/RF command for ON/OFF, it will be seen by HG and it will switch the light/switch to the ON/OFF icon and change the status.

IOW, you can't have more than one device on the same HU code because HG doesn't see it that way.  I don't have my motion sensors on the same HU code as my modules and I use HG to interpret the action.  If you set it up like X10 initially envisioned, you don't need HG involved at all (with the motion sensor).  Simply ignore it.  If you want to use the motion sensor in another way, change it to a different HU code and utilize some kind of script to make it do something smarter.  For an example, see the Advanced Smart Lights code.

soxfan1966

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 06:45:24 AM »

So if my light for my back deck is B5, rather than have the motion sensor on the same module (B5) I would use a different house code, say S for sensors?

My understanding is that the X10 sensors are defined when you set them so they have a house code and a module number to trigger.

So are you saying only in HG the sensors are defined on a separate house code or the actual motion sensor itself is set up to be on a different house code?

Now:
X10 sensor set on house code B and module 5 which triggers the light on my back deck defined as B5

Suggestion:
x10 sensor set on house code S and module 5, HG set up to recognize that sensor as S5 and then HG us used to trigger the light on B5

Is that correct ?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 06:53:39 AM »

x10 sensor set on house code S and module 5, HG set up to recognize that sensor as S5 and then HG us used to trigger the light on B5

Is that correct ?

That is the way it should be setup even if using AHP.
The only way to speed up triggering is if the light can accept RF directly or you have a transceiver on the same circuit as the light and close to the sensor.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

soxfan1966

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »

I wonder if that's contributed to their inconsistency.  I'm going to update the 3 I have as suggested and see how that impacts things.

Thanks

soxfan1966

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 10:55:38 AM »

OK, if someone can confirm this will work or correct where it may be wrong I would appreciate it.

I updated my x10 sensors to be on house code C now, with the unit number the same as they were.

So C5 will be tied to B5 (Back Deck)
     C2 will be tied to A2 (Front Door)

I need a Program now that recognizes the On command from the C5 or C2 and then triggers to turn on the corresponding light.

Here is what I have *I'm not 100% sure on the Trigger value nor the Control.On / Control.Off value in the code.

Pictures attached (I can update the trigger code to have other conditions like time of day, etc after)

soxfan1966

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »

Ok, not sure why I didn't think of this at first but I got one of my x10 remotes, set it on house code C and then for the Program on the Trigger Page clicked the eye icon to record.

Then I clicked the C5 On button on the report and captured the trigger.

So this is what my program looks like now

soxfan1966

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »

Update from last night and this morning

I had gone out to dinner last night and we got back around 8ish so I was interested to see if the new approach was going to work.  Unfortunately it did not.
I did a quick check and the house codes for C were not received by HG.

I did some debugging this morning - when I am in my basement where the CM15A is and was testing yesterday with the handheld remote it worked correctly.

When I went outside and tried either the handheld remote or triggeed manually from one of the sensors it did not.  I figured it was because I do not have a TM15 close enough on house code C to receive them.  I switched one over (I have one for house code A and another for house code B - at different ends of the house and on different lines, this works for my devices when I have them set up on either A or B depending on where they are.  Side note - I had one of those dryer vent bridge thingys and it was just not reliable to go across the two lines so this approach has worked for the last few years).

With one of the TM15's on C I was getting HG to see them from the hand held remote but not from the sensor reliably.  I also do not have another TM15 around (granddaugher snapped the attenna off one awhile ago and I was already using my backup).

So I'm back to not having the sensors in HG, and the sensors setup on the same house code and unit as the light they are assigned to.

I did notice that 2 of the sensors (in my attempt to improve reliablility I had 2 in the back for the back deck and 2 in the front for the front door) had sticky buttons and I could not relaibly get them to work when manually triggering the buttons.  So I am back to having a single sensor in each location that I tested manually and each worked.

Back to seeing how things go this evening when its dark.   I'm afraid I may need to just get a motion sensor that attaches directly to the light and see how that works but will see.

Another side note: I installed 2 solar powered lights along the path to the back deck / stairs.  These are the kind that have a motion sensor and can be in low power mode while no motion and then go into full brightness with motion.  They seemed to work OK (better than completely dark stairs),  I had an older type light back there which stopped working - it was OK, but during the winter when there is less sunlight and longer periods of dark it was not meeting our needs.  So I still want the light at the top of the stairs on the deck to be motion sensor powered.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 01:11:22 AM »

By all means, if you want to reinvent the light bulb, have at it.  However, Gene wrote a Smart Lights app that will do what you need.  I updated it to add some features I needed and it's another option (Advanced Smart Lights).  I think Gene updated Smart Lights in the current release so it does even more.

soxfan1966

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »

I will take a look at those programs - but at this point I don't think the problem is with HG but rather my setup that is preventing the RF signal from the sensors being recognized.

My CM15A is currently in the basement because that's where my PC is - which used to be attached to it.  With the Pi hub I'm going to move it upstairs and see if that helps.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 12:58:35 PM »

The CM15 has a terrible antenna stock.  The MS16 (all of the line really) have a terrible antenna.  When combined, you will not get very reliable communication.  If you want to continue using that combination, you should search around for the passive antenna modification for your motion sensors (a wire placed next to the motion sensor) and the external antenna mods for the CM15.  I installed a huge Radio Shack antenna in my attic and an amplifier in-line and it's been working very well for years.  It might be easier to consider a different RF receiver if you haven't invested in the CM15 yet though.  If I were doing it today, I'd get one of the WGL offerings most likely.

http://www.wgldesigns.com/w800.html

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 02:50:55 PM »

...you should search around for the passive antenna modification for your motion sensors (a wire placed next to the motion sensor) and the external antenna mods for the CM15.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/X10_feng_shui.html
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

soxfan1966

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 04:16:16 PM »

Dave, that link does not seem to work.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 05:45:56 PM »

Dave, that link does not seem to work.
It works for me under Windows 10 with Firefox, Chrome & Edge. There have been sporadic issues with the site over the past few weeks. You might try a different browser.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.